Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Your lunch vs. MacD's med. big mac meal
  • nedrapier

Just f’rinterest, further to yesterday’s thread.

My Ham hack and extra mature cheddar cheese on multi seed farmhouse batch bread, with lettuce and onion chutney has 3 traffic light Reds for fat, sat. fats and salt. Amber on calories and green on sugar. The Sugar Green is blown well into red by the 34g of sugar in the cloudy apple juice (made from hand picked apples by Copella, Boxford Farm, Sussex). The calories are bumped up to 879 by the drink and the crisps.

So that’s Red on every scale, and 879 kcals for £3, compared to 990 for a medium big mac meal at £3.70.

And I didn’t even get a bag of cookies today. god knows what’;s in them – they don’t say, presumbaly they don’t have to if it’s “hand baked in store by our artisans”?

How does yours compare?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Homemade refried beans.
    What do I win?

druidh
    Free Member

Lorne sausage roll at Glentress Peel – TWO SLICES!!

Nick

Couple of rolls containing tuna made last night and a pear. No idea on nutition, 400 calories maybe?

root
    Free Member

medium big mac meal… I thought everyone went large 😀

packer
    Free Member

Regardless of the red marks and calories, I would imagine your lunch actually has some nutritional value. I doubt the big mac meal does.

warton
    Free Member

cheese salad, with houmous, pumpkin seeds and bit of oil and balsamic vinegar

Activia Rhubarb Yoghurt

Tangerine, apple.

KonaTC

Canteen pumpkin and sweet potato soup, I’m guessing it was calorie free as it had been through the bland-a-riser

djglover
    Free Member

Regardless of the red marks and calories, I would imagine your lunch actually has some nutritional value. I doubt the big mac meal does

On what basis? Big mac has bread, for carbs, meat for protein and iron?

What nutrition are you talking about?

joao3v16
    Free Member

Pasta/tuna/vegetables/chilli sauce/bit of low-fat mayo

No salt other than what’s in the Tuna, no fat other than the spoon of mayo, sugars? no idea – probly some in the veg.

Although comparing real food to a Mcdonalds is not far from comparing it to a turd 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Red cherry tomoatoes
    Yellow peppers
    Green cucumber

in my salad (amongst a few other things) what I made last night.

DrP

4 cans of Red Bull, 2 cans of monster energy, a Mars bar, a pack of Rothman, and 8 spoonfuls of coffee powder (neat).

Not.
    Even.
    Peckish…

DrP

woody2000

I doubt the big mac meal does.

Why? A ham and cheese sandwich is hardly the healthiest thing on the planet. I reckon there’s as much “nutritional value” (WTF does that mean anyway) in the big mac meal as there is in the OPs lunch.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Homemade curry from last night – Oh aye!

A Kit-Kat chunky this aft with a cup of Red-Bush tea.

Oh and a cod-liver capsule with the curry.

No idea on nutrition bu the curry is chicken so I imagine reasonably low in fat.

IHN

I would imagine your lunch actually has some nutritional value. I doubt the big mac meal does.

Well, there’s protein in the beef and carbohydrate in the bun and the fries, plus the drink will help to keep you hydrated. There’ll also be vitamins and minerals in varying degrees.

I love anti-McD snobbery, because it’s mainly b0llocks. There’s nothing wrong with it as an occasional meal, and indeed it’s no worse than many other ‘convenience’ meals, as nedrapier has demonstrated.

ericemel
    Free Member

Home made Chipotle Vege Chill – prob around 400cals. Will finish it off with a sinickers and can of coke

maxray
    Free Member

“Couple of rolls containing tuna made last night and a pear. No idea on nutrition, 400 calories maybe?”

Prob more than 400kcal, The organic wholemeal roll I scanned on myfitnesspal for my lunch was 200kcal on its own.

Lentil soup, wholemeal roll and a cathedral city /pickle snack thing 705kcal all in.

dabble
    Free Member

Pork pie
    Turkey, bacon, stuffing and cranberry pannini toastie
    Bakewell slice
    Bannana milk

Not fussed about the calories, i’m hank marvin!

mark90
    Free Member

Tesco pumpkin and chilli soup and some chunky slices of tiger bread. No idea on the calories or nutritional value, but it was tasty 🙂

Milkie
    Free Member

I just had Quiche, £2.09, 1200 Calories. In about half an hour I’ll have a cupcake (315 calories), possibly something else too, cos I’m still hungry! I’m guessing none of this is healthy at all, but it tastes good!

TooTall
    Free Member

Although comparing real food to a Mcdonalds is not far from comparing it to a turd

Or just carry on spouting unfounded pish because it makes you feel superior in some middle-class warrior way?

djglover
    Free Member

I had a chorizo and cheese sandwich with mayo, tomatoe and lettuce, crisps and a cadburys boost.

Probably in the same ball park of unheathly as a Big Mac meal.

IHN

Oh FWIW, I had a ham and (disappointingly sweet and not nearly sharp or crunchy enough) piccalili baguette and an apple.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Butternut squash , Sweet potato and pepper Risotto with sweet chilli sauce

I suspect way less fat than Mc D.s no idea of calories

Massive slice of homemade cake – it had pineapples on it.
    Carb loading as no tea when i get in as straight out riding

love anti-McD snobbery, because it’s mainly b0llocks. There’s nothing wrong with it as an occasional meal

Why only occasionally if they are just being “snobby”
    To be fair you do get OTT reactions about them
    Everyone knows it is not “healthy food” but it wont kill you either

Rorschach
    Free Member

Asda big plastic tub of soup (always tomato based) everyday for lunch.
    No bread.
    Between 180-300 calories and <1% fat.
    And a cup of tea.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Or just carry on spouting unfounded pish because it makes you feel superior in some middle-class warrior way?

Alright Mr Angry, calm down, it’s only an opinion 😀

binners

A nice healthy ham salad on a brown barm. All very well. Unfortunately in the slaying hunger stakes it failed miserably, so a pork pie was pressed into service to aid the effort. Followed by a pack of Ringo’s. Lovely. Though probably not in the Big Mac league calorie wise. I’m guessing. I haven’t actually got a clue!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Why is 800 calories for lunch a bad thing? I’ve had two ham rolls, a bag of walkers sunbites, a cereal bar and a 400ml bottle filled with orange squash. So lets guess that its similar to your 800 calories. I’m guessing that my thai green curry and rice will have around 1000 in tonight for tea so thats still plenty of room for drinks and breakfast yo stick to the recomnended daily allowance.

packer
    Free Member

I don’t think that saying McD has little nutritional value is “snobbery”.
    I’m no expert but it seems like common knowledge to me that processed fast-foods like McD contain less “goodness” than fresh foods. What do I mean by “goodness”? I don’t know really but I guess vitamins, minerals, and fibre spring to mind.
    The fact that people (including McD themselves) recommend eating it as only part of your diet would also seem to support that.

I personally eat McD once or twice a month on average and so do my young children. I don’t think it’s any worse than any other fast food.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

A can of fizzy suggar free pop.

Probably a load of vitamin C and 3 calories. What do I win?

Being ill sucks, on the plus side maybe I’ll lose some weight with this lack of appetite.

Coyote
    Free Member

Heinz Mulligatawny soup FULL can – 220 calories
    Mug of Earl Grey tea, no milk – eff all calories

tomhoward

The ‘Nutritional value’ of food has nothing to do with the stuff thats in it, its how smug it makes you when you tell others what you have eaten.

Basically, anything that isn’t brown rice or quinoa, sustainably sourced oily fish, chick peas (preferably hoummus) and a fat free dressing you may as well be eating fatty dust (or to coin a phrase, a ‘turd’), and should be looked upon as such.

FWIW, I had a tin of sausage and veg Big Soup, and pack of grapes. I have no idea nor care of its Nutritional Value.

willard

Leftover curry and pasta. Not sure how many calories but it tasted nice.

Coyote
    Free Member

lol @ tomhoward!

IHN

Why only occasionally if they are just being “snobby”

Because it is relatively high in fat and salt, so eating it a lot is not a good idea. Then again, so is much restaurant or convenience food, yet the same level of snobbery isn’t directed at, say, service station sandwiches.

Everyone knows it is not “healthy food” but it wont kill you either

Exactly, and it’s not alone.

tomhoward

The fact that people (including McD themselves) recommend eating it as only part of your diet would also seem to support that.

Michel Roux Jr says the same thing about eating at La Gavroche, what’s your point caller?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Protein shake.

Coffe.

Dried toast (& maybe a slice of cake..)

I know.

Its fekin dull.. 🙁

makeitorange
    Free Member

Think I can beat you all:
    Tesco large sausage roll- 497cals
    Tesco walnut cake (meant to be shared by a family) my plan was to eat a quarter and save the rest. Destroyed the lot of it) -1200cals.

Total 1697 cals and a good chance of obesity and diabetes all for the bargain price of £1.65

I cycle a 40min commute each way so can get away with it on occasion!

packer
    Free Member

Michel Roux Jr says the same thing about eating at La Gavroche, what’s your point caller?

Surely the Michel Roux Jr quote reinforces the fact that this has nothing to do with snobbery towards McD?
    Put simply, some foods are more unhealthy than others and as such should be eaten less often.
    Some unhealthy foods are cheap and some are expensive but that is not really relevant.

jfletch
    Free Member

Chain store meal deal constsiting of

Noodle/Chicken Salad – 267 cals
    2 x Pork Pies – 340 cals
    Innocent smoothie – 125 cals

What do I win?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Your lunch vs. MacD's med. big mac meal’ is closed to new replies.