Your Little OCD's (and fighting them)

Home Forum Chat Forum Your Little OCD's (and fighting them)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Your Little OCD's (and fighting them)
  • shifter

That all sounds like common sense to me.

Premier Icon unknown
    Subscriber

Indeed, OCD is a genuine mental health condition and can be very unpleasant for sufferers. I’m no expert but the compulsive behaviour is driven by a need to avoid an obsessive thought – eg I must lock the front door 3 times or something very bad will happen.

It’s one of my pet hates when people say “oh I’m so OCD about that”. No, what you have there is a habit/preference.

atlaz

mikewsmith – so you fight your urge to be early for flights by going earlier? I think you’ve got “fighting” and “going along with” mixed up πŸ˜‰

That said, I’m exactly the same with flights. I’ve loved flying since I was a kid but I really can’t be relaxed until I’ve got past security and I’m in that purgatory of shops and double-price Weatherspoons. That said, if I fly from Luxembourg I have it timed to a tee so I have enough time for one drink before the plane leaves.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I have to be on time for flights (on time is when check in opens) I struggle to relax until I get through the check in and security. The upside is I have not missed a flight yet but the downside is I spend a lot of time in airports.
    The fighting them is that in order to take the bike to NZ for this work trip I upgraded to the lounge access with extra luggage (as it costs the same as eating/drinking in an airport for 2 hrs) I am 5mins walk from the gate in the lounge with free food & beer, comfy chairs and no weirdos but have 40mins to get to the gate. Hard not to stay here…..

Whats yours?

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

I’m always super early for flights and often one of the first on the plane. However, my OH is the exact opposite and would normally set off for the airport at the time when checkin opens……

wordnumb

Unknown +1.

Although I believe an exception can be made for people who claim to be OCD when it comes to correcting punctuation.

piemonster

Whats yours?

Beer and crisps πŸ™‚

samuri

Depends on how my other mental issues are behaving (and this isn’t necessarily OCD) but worst case when I’m in a trough I become *extremely* paranoid about how people are reacting to me. I analyse ever single encounter with everyone when I’m going through this. I can spend 2 hours thinking about a 2 minute conversation. I’ll spend far more time analysing than interacting and will become immensely introverted.

It’s got a lot better as I’ve got older and less angry but it’s still there and it still affects my relationships massively and sadly has a significant impact on those around me. I will regularly break off contact with people because I’m convinced I’ve been slighted although I’ll generally assume it’s because of my own failings.

In the past I would actively seek revenge but thankfully that seems to have stopped happening.

How’s that?

DrP

As per unknown…

Thinking “I must make sure I lock the doors or else I might get burgled” is common sense.
    Thinking “I must lock the door 4 times with my left hand or else my son will get cancer” is OCD…..

DrP

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

Tools, fixings and storage in my shed. I’ve been known to take all of the tools out of the boxes and put them in their proper places even though it might be only one out of place. Same with CDs and DVDs being kept in the correct order. I have to fight it to not do it.

Not OCD but also not sensible. And it’s CDO, the letters are now in the correct order. πŸ˜‰

Premier Icon st colin
    Subscriber

There wouldn’t be enough time in the day to type all of my odd OCD habits. I’d say there have been a dozen carried out already today.

johnellison

I have a large Snap-On type tool chest. One drawer is devoted to combination spanners from 6 – 24mm.

All spanners must be placed in said drawer parallel to the front face of it, largest top left, smallest bottom right.

Open end of largest spanner must be at top left-hand side and all other spanners alternating in orientation. All spanners must be placed so that ring ends are cranked upwards.

All other tools just get chucked in the other drawers (admittedly one drawer for screwdrivers, one for pliers, one for hammers, etc.) but nothing remotely resembles the spanner drawer.

My CD collection is also religiously ordered alphabetically by artist. “The’s” are not placed under T – so “The Beatles” are filed under “B”.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

How’s that?

You work in IT don’t you? It’s nothing πŸ™‚

A more sensitive thread title might be ‘What’s your obsessive compulsion?’ Many of us have got them but they don’t wreck our lives to the extend of recognised OCD sufferers.

Anyway, I need to check the garage door is closed in a particular way when locking up at night, often more than once, and it has to be the last thing I do. To be fair, it has opened itself a couple of times due to an accidental press of the button whilst handling the keys, and I’ve only found out because I’ve heard the noises it makes 😯

You do not all have OCD’s. They’re just habits.

I could link you all to a blog of a good friend who suffers form it, then maybe you could see the devastation a real OCD illness causes but that’s not my place to do so.

organic355

My CD collection is also religiously ordered alphabetically by artist. “The’s” are not placed under T – so “The Beatles” are filed under “B”.

How do you file the band “The The”?

Also serious question if its a solo artist say Richard Ashcroft, under R or A, or next to (the) Verve album?

EDIT: also if a band starts with a number, are they before the A’s or One under O, two under T etc?

EDIT2: also where to you file various artists/compilations?

This could be a whole thread in itself?

dr_death

Not a thread Organic, simple and obvious.

The the are filed in the bin, solo artists under their surname, numbers before all the letters and compilations are all at the end in the compilations section, also in alphabetical order.

compositepro

I have a large Snap-On type tool chest. One drawer is devoted to combination spanners from 6 – 24mm.

All spanners must be placed in said drawer parallel to the front face of it, largest top left, smallest bottom right.

Open end of largest spanner must be at top left-hand side and all other spanners alternating in orientation. All spanners must be placed so that ring ends are cranked upwards

This is not OCD i would say its more workmanlike

drives me nuts when folks are working haphazard on mechanical things and the workshop is a shithole or bombsite

fasthaggis

I embrace my mild OCD .
    I think it’s a positive thing and people without it are a bunch of disorganized losers πŸ˜‰

Macgyver

Not OCD but I have been known to get the leatherman out on holiday and straighten and level all the doors in a kitchen because the unevenness of it all was starting to get to me.
    Oh, and rearranging the fridge door so all the heavier new bottles/pints of milk are at the hinge side of the door and the part used ones are at the leading edge as it is kinder to the hinges.
    Stamps on envelopes have to be square and if more than one stamp, the perforations have to line up. Perhaps I am a selective neatness freak as parts of the house can be right tip at times!
    πŸ™‚

johnellison

How do you file the band “The The”?

I don’t, as I do not own any of their material. That said, I would file it under T. Obvs really…

Also serious question if its a solo artist say Richard Ashcroft, under R or A, or next to (the) Verve album?

If it’s someone’s name then alphabetically by surname, regardless of attachment to a band, group or whatever. Richard Ashcroft would be under A, Cliff Richard under R and James Blunt under a bus.

EDIT: also if a band starts with a number, are they before the A’s or One under O, two under T etc?

Numerical first, then alphabetical. Therefore, 1 Direction would precede 808 State, who would be before AC/DC.

EDIT2: also where to you file various artists/compilations?

Under “V” for “Various”… πŸ™„

johnellison

This is not OCD i would say its more workmanlike

drives me nuts when folks are working haphazard on mechanical things and the workshop is a shithole or bombsite

You can be my special friend.

bencooper

I’m too messy to have OCD – I do have to brush my teeth and wash my hands in exactly the same pattern every day, though.

I don’t know what bad things will happen if I change, haven’t dared find out.

vickypea

I had an OCD-related problem (a proper one, diagnosed and everything!) for 30 years and I’ve overcome it this year, using CBT techniques that I learned 7 years ago but have only just put into practice. Don’t underestimate how it can affect people’s lives.

ska-49

The bloody oven/hob.
    Started when I was moving out of my old flat. I was the last one there. Cleaned everything and locked up. As soon as I start walking down the road.. ‘You’ve left the oven/hob on, haven’t you’. Keys already handed in. It actually kept me up a few nights in my new house. I was convinced it was on and it would burn the house down. Turned it it was okay and I had turned the whole flat off by the switchboard.

Now I started doing it with my new flat and when visiting the parents. I’ve had to check a couple times before leaving the flat. Even coming back in after locking the door.

Must kick it. I’m usually very chilled and don’t worry about these things but this weird oven/hob thing is annoying me.

wombat

I have been known to get the leatherman out on holiday and straighten and level all the doors in a kitchen because the unevenness of it all was starting to get to me.
    Oh, and rearranging the fridge door so all the heavier new bottles/pints of milk are at the hinge side of the door and the part used ones are at the leading edge as it is kinder to the hinges.

I do both of these 😳

Premier Icon cr500dom
    Subscriber

I`m an engineer, a certain amount of OCD goes with the territory 8)
    Tools particularly, but then I can work out of my toolbox blind as everything has its place.

Chap I worked with really did have it bad though, he took the general mickey taking about it pretty well, but got really stressed out when his desk was “Decorated” for his 40th birthday πŸ™

Just couldn’t cope with stuff being out of place, must be terribly debilitating at that level

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

I have to strip and clean my push bikes after every ride.

Even if it’s been a dry run, everything gets removed, cleaned, re-greased and torqued up correctly.

I’m the same with my motorbike and although I don’t strip that down; that’s only really due to a lack of skill and tools. Even just an hours ride results in a 3 to 4 hour cleaning session.

Having said that, I find faffing around with my bikes to be very relaxing.

I believe that I also have a funny character trait when eating food which I only became aware of when colleagues noticed on a works meal out.

I always eat different food types separately and won’t put more than one food type on my fork. So with a roast dinner for example, I wouldn’t eat some carrot, then eat a potato and then some meat and then have a bit more carrot. I have to fully eat each food type before moving onto the next.

Don’t know if that’s OCD though, more just a strange behaviour.

Edit – I have thing for tools being in the correct place as well. I think that’s quite common though.

chvck

I always eat different food types separately and won’t put more than one food type on my fork. So with a roast dinner for example, I wouldn’t eat some carrot, then eat a potato and then some meat and then have a bit more carrot. I have to fully eat each food type before moving onto the next.

I do that too if I’m not thinking about what I’m doing. Having watched loads of masterchef I now try to force myself to eat things together as that’s what they do!

Premier Icon dazh
    Subscriber

Excellent so I’m not the only one! It’s similar with fried breakfasts. Beans first, then mushrooms, tomato, sausages, then mop up the rest of the sauce with the toast.

I also have a thing about stacking dirty dishes. Plates, bowls and pans all have to be stacked strictly according to size in neat piles, and under no circumstances should anything ever be randomly thrown in the sink.

prawny

I’m ridiculously untidy, my garage is a discgrace and my desk at work could do with setting on fire.

BUT – I have a real problem with the latches on seat back tables, I have to straighten them, train or plane, my seat and the ones next to it. Not OCD, more ODD. Properly gets on my wick when one is stuck at an angle and wont budge. I’ve moved seats before.

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

@ chvck & dazh

Glad I’m not the only one with funny character traits πŸ˜€

chvck

According to this http://drbass.com/sequential.html (which I’ve obviously picked for the next bit):

sequential eating represents the most advanced approach to understanding proper food combining.

So we’re just more advanced in our eating habits!

edit: I’ve just actually read some of it, looks pretty dubious to me!

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Habits that I have for which people accuse me of being OCD.
    Pegs must match on a washing line. Can’t have something hanging with one red peg and one green one.
    Identical pairs of socks have coloured dots sewn in them so they can live life as pairs.
    Cutlery in the dishwasher must be sorted. Knives, forks, spoons and tea spoons have a quarter each. Nothing to be gained from mixing them up.

sneakyg4

Its food with me too, I don’t like different foods on my plate touching each other and I absolutly cannot abide bean juice touching any other food on the plate. I have a prison style plate with different compartments at home, I don’t eat out much.

Also If I have a bag of sweets that are different colours I have to sort them into separate colours first before eating.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Food, I forgot food. I don’t mind different foods touching each other but I’ll eat all of one thing before moving onto the next.

dirtycrewdom

How do you lot handle sandwiches or salads?

Eyepic

Loo roll

It has to be the right way round (so that the next sheet comes OVER and in front of the roll.

If I go into a loo where the roll is the wrong way round I have to correct it (I know you shouldn’t mess around with other peoples loo rolls but they had got it wrong).

My sister likes it so that the next sheet goes behind the roll and thus next to the wall…. obviously she is wrong… I only discovered after I had corrected her loo roll, only to find she had changed it back after me.

I now avoid her loo.

This is not OCD just the way that the universe should be ordered.

Premier Icon amplebrew
    Subscriber

And there was me thinking my peculiar food eating habit was unusual.

dirtycrewdom – Member
    How do you lot handle sandwiches or salads?

I rarely eat sandwiches, but I only ever eat one filling when I do. That’s not counting marg, sauce and mayonnaise etc though.

chvck – Member
    According to this http://drbass.com/sequential.html (which I’ve obviously picked for the next bit):

sequential eating represents the most advanced approach to understanding proper food combining.
    So we’re just more advanced in our eating habits!

edit: I’ve just actually read some of it, looks pretty dubious to me!

One of the few things (if not the only thing) I’m advanced in then πŸ˜†

toppers3933

When preparing food or drinks for the wife and I her plate/glass/cup is ALWAYS the one on the left. ALWAYS.

rusty trowel

I know a couple of my good friends have commented on this thread and I thank them for that.
    I’m going to refrain from joining in as I know things can sometimes be misinterpreted on here.
    For those interested in the realities of living with crappy diagnosed OCD here is a link to my blog posts on the subject.
    Rusty Steve.

http://compulsivflyer.wordpress.com/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Your Little OCD's (and fighting them)’ is closed to new replies.