• This topic has 20 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by csb.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Your fish curry recipes
  • jakd95
    Free Member

I enjoy a fish curry but rarely have one as there usually isn’t much choice/fish is usually frozen from takeaways/restaurants. I cook a reasonable amount of veggie/paneer/meat curries at home and would like to cook some fish based ones. There have been some good threads with people’s favourite recipes for chillis/risottos/curries in the past, so what have you got?

theboatman
    Free Member

Quick fave in our house is cook down onion, ginger, garlic, chilli and some curry powder in a metal casserole dish on the hob, lob in some coconut milk and a bit of stock and cook out for a bit. Add fresh/ defrosted white fish, salmon, prawns or a mix of the above. Chuck it in the oven with a lid on until the fish is done. Sort some breads, squash some lime on it, and chuck whatever garnish stuff on you want (toasted nuts, spring onions,coriander etc) stick it in the middle of the table and trough it.

Probably not fancy by stw standard’s but my kids and me smash it, so works for us. Bit of a warmer korma sort of thing. Worked quite well with roast cauliflower too.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Nigel Slater Tamarind and mustard seed curry is a totz banger and howyourdad family favourite.  Lemon juice is an ok sub. for tamarind

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/jul/19/salmon-recipes-nigel-slater

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    pedlad

Still not been able to find a recipe but once had the most amazing sticky sweet fish curry in South Africa.

tthew

This is the one I use. Couldn’t be easier, depends how you feel about using curry paste.

I simmer for quite a while to reduce the sauce or it’s a bit runny. Substitute the white fish for a mix of smoked haddock, salmon, cod and the curry paste for red pesto and it makes a lovely fish stew too!

eskay

Bookmarked!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Here’s a delicious and utterly philistine one from student days:

1 x tin tuna in oil
    1 small/med diced onion
    1/2 a cup frozen peas
    Level tblspn of tikka masala powder or fish masala powder*

*Local Indian store or supermarket is our friend here

Method:

1. Open tin of tuna, empty along with oil into frying pan
    2. Cook on medium heat until onions soft. Stirring/turning occasionally so doesn’t stick.
    3. Stir in spice powder
    4. Simmer for 5 mins
    5. Add frozen peas, stir and simmer until peas are soft.

Season to taste.

Pyro

I used to use leftover rice to make a smoked mackerel biryani/poor man’s kedgeree the following day. Fry off chilli, onion, garlic, ginger and curry paste, add the rice, some frozen peas and shred a couple of smoked mackerel fillets into it. Serve with a boiled egg if you’re going for the kedgeree side or a basic veggie curry sauce if you prefer the biryani.

jamj1974

I would look at recipes from South India as an inspiration.

I am lucky, my father was Mauritian and they eat a lot of fish dishes there – especially fish curry.  There are many different types, but again somewhere to look for inspiration.

A lot of the fish curries I cook, use a more ‘meaty’ rather than flaky fish. Often, I quickly fry fish before adding to the curry near the end of cooking – as that is something I learnt from my dad.

If I use white fish like sea bass or similar, I cook the fish entirely separately from the sauce and that works well.  If cooking a prawn curry I add them at the end of cooking so they just cook through and are not overcooked.

Scapegoat

Goan mackerel currry. Fragrant with meethii/fenugreek and thickened with urid daal.

Bangdyachi Uddamethi / Goan Mackerel Curry

chevychase

I take one spoonful of Garam Masala and throw it at your mum’s fanny. Et voila!

Yes. I have been drinking.

alexatkinson
    Free Member

Some time ago, I gave up with cooking fish, because I can never do it right, I have it always over dried.

tomd
    Free Member

Some time ago, I gave up with cooking fish, because I can never do it right, I have it always over dried.

I know exactly what you mean, IME it’s usually because the fish gets overcooked (I did it for years). I make whatever curry it is I want then just add the fish at the very end and really just steam it for a few minutes. If it’s left to boil up it just gets overcooked.

I love Garlic Chilli Chicken, I did this one last week but added fish at the end rather than chicken. Really impressed with the recipe. Our local curry house is poor to middling so I reckon I’ll just stick to home cooking this.

Frozen fish is really good for curry. It’s a bit of a British thing that frozen = low quality, in other places you get a wide array of frozen sea food and there’s a better chance it’s fresh. Also if you’re going to douse in in heavy spices is it worth having the finest fresh fish?

timmys
    aP
    Free Member

I like making most of Anjum Anand’s fish curry recipes. They’re simple enough whilst still having good depth of flavour.

stevied
    Free Member

I know it’s cheating but the Spice Tailor stuff in the posher supermarket is really nice (and quick).
    edit: beaten to it..

perchypanther
    Free Member

“A single special* and a tub of curry sauce, please”

*In a scottish chippy, a breaded haddock is called a  “Special Fish” because they only cook them to order.

johndoh
    Free Member

I know it doesn’t really help the OP, but I love fish and I love curry. But fish curry? I really struggle with it – I prefer meat curry over any other, but I would rather have veggie curry over fish as I don’t think the ingredients work together*

*Some Goan/Thai ones are okay but I’d still take any other alternative ingredients such as chickpeas, paneer or meat…

IMO of course.

However, the nicest one I have ever done is this one (sorry, Jamie Oliver content)
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/steamed-thai-style-sea-bass-and-rice/

tillydog
    Free Member

I love fish curry!

Not gourmet, but my recipe (for 4):

Finely slice 2 onions and cook them down on a *very* low heat – it will take 20-30 mins.
    Towards the end of this time, add 1/2 a head’s worth of garlic, finely chopped.
    Add curry powder / spices and fry for a few mins.
    Add chopped mushrooms here if you want them.
    Add liquid – coconut milk if you like it creamy, chopped tomatoes if you don’t or a jar of your favourite curry sauce if you want.
    Fill the rest of the pan with spinach leaves, bring it back to the boil and stir the wilted spinach leaves in.
    Add a dollop of mango chutney if you want.
    Chop the raw fish into big chunks (cod, haddock, basa, or whatever.)
    When the sauce is good and hot, stir the fish in, put the lid on the pan, turn the heat *off* and leave it alone for 10-15 minutes. Check that the fish has cooked through and flakes when poked, but don’t stir the pan. Mix gently as you scoop it out to serve it.

Enjoy with a naan.

I also love a version of mackerel kedgeree (for 3-4):

Hard boil 3-4 eggs
    Fry a coarsely chopped large onion very gently until it’s soft. Use a lot of oil (more than you usually would – it stops the rice sticking together later on).
    Add chopped garlic about half way through.
    When the eggs have finished boiling, put a pack of cooked, peppered mackerel fillets into the water and let it boil for 5 mins. Lift the fish out after and keep it warm. Don’t throw the water.
    When the onions have softened, add curry powder (or individual spices – this is stw), cook for 30 seconds or so, then add 3/4 cup of un-cooked basmati rice and heat it through for 3-4 mins, stirring constantly.
    Add double the rice volume (1 1/2 cups in this case) of the fish water, stir well, cover the pan very tightly and turn the heat right down. Leave it alone for 12 mins.
    In the meantime, peel and slice the hardboiled eggs, take the skin off the fish and flake it.

After 12 mins, the rice should have absorbed the water and the pan will be almost dry (can be tricky timing this right, but the above works for the brand of rice I use).
    Turn the heat off and fold in the flaked mackerel and sliced egg.
    Cover it with a tea towel and leave if for a few minutes before pilling it onto a plate.

Gone in 60 seconds in our house.

csb

Find a recipe for mackrel rundown. Not curry per se but OMG its heaven.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Your fish curry recipes’ is closed to new replies.