Viewing 36 posts - 121 through 156 (of 156 total)
  • Your first gig.
  • Northwind

Edinburgh Playhouse randomly frequent here!

midlifecrashes

New Order. 24 January 1981. Middlesbrough Rock Garden.

Watty

Uriah Heep – Hammersmith Odeon – circa ‘73.

nbt

Meatloaf, MAR 19 1988, Mancchester Apollo. THe programme I bought DEFINITELY listed it as the Bat Out Of Hell 10th anniversary World Tour, but setlist.fm have it as the Lost Boys and Golden Girls Tour

@lovewookie

November 8th 1990.

A coach trip by magpie records in Worcester to see Queensryche at Newport centre.

I saw them a few nights earlier in Bradford. Great tour. I also saw Geoff Tate play the entire album in Manchester recently (well, most of it, they got on stage quitelate and I had to skip early to get a train home). He’s still got the voice, that’s for sure.

nbt

double post

chakaping
    Free Member

Aerosmith, Wembley Arena in 1989.

Very enjoyable, but the only mainstream rock gig I’ve ever been to. I went indie shortly after that second gig was Carter USM.

ben
    Free Member

CARTER U.S.M. About 30 years ago, somewhere in Birmingham. I was 14 with my best mate, my Dad was chaperone, think he enjoyed it equally.

It was mint.

chakaping
    Free Member

Having read back through the thread, if I could magically transport to any of these gigs I think it’d be between Bowie and Meatloaf (which I didn’t expect).

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Bruce & the ESB
    Wembley Stadium 4th July 1985

sc-xc

CARTER U.S.M. About 30 years ago, somewhere in Birmingham. I was 14 with my best mate, my Dad was chaperone, think he enjoyed it equally.

Could that have been Goldwyns?. They filmed the gig for Snub TV.

Nick

Spear of Destiny at the Powerhouse Birmingham, according to the internet this was 1984, which means I was 14 when me and two friends got the train from Northampton to go.

I remember the support band quite well – Twenty Flight Rock, and also being picked up by a very friendly crowd after slipping over on a can of hairspray someone had lost.

johnx2
    Free Member

Some punk band at leeds poly, sneaking in without paying from some political thing in the offices above in 1977 aged 15. Nursing a can of lager and trying not to be too eyes on stalks at girls in string vests and little else. First ‘name’ band I remember, I regret to say was boomtown rats at leeds uni union. Oh dear. Think I was dragged along. I saw a lot of cooler bands shortly after with Clash being the obv highlight .

(Had tickets to see buzzcocks 1979 at leeds uni supported by joy division, more importantly, that someone mentioned as a much cooler first gig. I was well seasoned by then mind, but had maths homework or some shit so passed tickets on, dag nab it. (Another music in a difft kitchen was the first album I bought which does pass the cool test.)

chakaping
    Free Member

after slipping over on a can of hairspray someone had lost.

Tell me it was a goth gig without telling me it was goth gig.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Manic Street Preachers at Cambridge Corn Exchange. I was 17 I think, not entirely sure. I spent most of the gig snogging a random girl who was wearing far too much White Musk perfume.

goslow

Another one for .. Gary Glitter.

Mine was at Newcastle City Hall about 1972/1973.

docrobster
    Free Member

@matt10214
    Maybe not then. I was well into them though back then. Memory a bit hazy. I bought Indian rope on 12” from a record shop upstairs in afflecks palace. I remember seeing them at Manchester academy very early. That time between oct 89 and may 1990 was start of my second year at uni and I had caught the madchester bug completely. Culminating in spike island of course but seemed like a cool gig at the lower refec every week. Inspiral carpets many times. The farm (at the leadmill), world of twist etc etc.

I recall my second ever gig would have been transvision vanp oct 88 at the lower refec. Intro week. Some hard faced girl slagged me off as I was wearing the U2 T-shirt from my first ever gig the year before. My musical journey soon progressed though once the roses and Mondays had start to take over even our side of the Pennines!

Last ever gig was last night… about 40 kids in a room listening to “scouse indie” from bandit. My mate’s son bought the tickets but couldn’t go. So 2 fifty somethings watched from the sidelines. My ears still ringing. Can’t beat it.

matt10214
    Free Member

@docrobster I saw them three times in Sheffield in 1990, March at the Lower Refrectory, week after Spike Island at the Nelson Mandela then November at the Octagon. I saw a different band most weeks that year brilliant time for live music in the city!

docrobster
    Free Member

Oh to be that age again!

db

Runrig – somewhere in London in the mid eighties.

BillOddie

Therapy? in the mid-nineties at (randomly as they didn’t really do much live music there) the Cardiff Astoria.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Sex Pistols, Lesser Free Trade Hall, 1976.

ha ha. You should read this…https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swear-Was-There-Changed-World/dp/0954970497

plumber
    Free Member

Monsters of Rock 1981

I didn’t remain a hard rock fan for very long but for a 16 year old kid on his own watching the ACDC bell swinging it seemed pretty epic.

bungle

Bowie, Torquay Town Hall, 16/06/73
    Hawkwind, ditto 30/06/73
    ……..think the latter were so loud structural damage was caused and don’t recall any later gigs at that venue

fatoldgit

Rick Wakeman At Leeds Uni , 1974 ( I think)
    Followed in the rest of the 70s by way more than I can recall

Leeds Uni did really good gigs in the 70s 🤗

granny_ring

Good thread.
    Trying to remember….
    I think it was The Jam at canterbury Uni….79/80 perhaps?

tartanscarf

Shakin’ Stevens, Usher Hall in Edinburgh. God knows when that was. My folks took us.

Edit: October 1982. Bloody hell!

roger_mellie

AC/DC March 1988 Wembley Arena. Would’ve been 15. Followed by Motley Crue with Skid Row (and White Lion) support also at Wembley Arena Nov 1989.Hair metal-tastic!

Matthew
    Free Member

The Police, Leeds Queens Hall 1979

skybluestu
    Free Member

The Prodigy – Plymouth Pavilions – 1991 i think

desperatebicycle

My folks took us.

I hope you called Esther Rantzen the next day!

CountZero

Supertramp with Joan armatrading Birmingham odeon about ‘75? 45+yrs ffs

Also with Chris de Burgh, that was the tour I saw them at in Bristol, and I still have a tour programme for it, would have been 1974.

NJA

Madness supported by th Go-go’s at the Peterborough Wirrina 1979 it was fantastic as a 16 year old and still would be today.

jimster01

Def Leppard – February 1980 at Malvern Winter Gardens.

BoardinBob

Michael Jackson, Glasgow Green 1992

Can still remember it vividly

rOcKeTdOg

1982 Spandau ballet, odeon new st Brum

breatheeasy
    Free Member

The Police at some place in Leeds with the Belle Stars supporting.

And very close to the last gig I ever went to. It was all standing and there was a rail running about halfway across the crowd area which we thought was a good idea to stand in front of so nobody could crush forwards when they started. Genius thinking until they said the band wouldn’t come on until everyone had moved back from the stage. Got very dodgy for a while for a small group of 16 year olds getting crushed against said railing.

Viewing 36 posts - 121 through 156 (of 156 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.