Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)
  • Your first ever mountain bike.
  • gears_suck
    Free Member

Mine was cobbled together out of two knackered bikes I found somewhere. I used my girlfriends dads brazing torch to fix the rear triangle of one the the front of the other. It looked like Frankensteins butchers bike. Single speed of course. I think that would have been in about 1985.

Blackhound

Trek 820 from about 91/92. Cost £300 I think.

mattbee

Falcon ATB from the Kays catalogue when I was 13 back in 1990. Black with fluoro green and pink decals. Was awesome.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Leku
    Free Member

xcstu
    Free Member

Claud Butler Spectre but the older version of this

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Raleigh mantis.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

muddy fox courier comp- must have been circa ’88, black hammerite type finish with red cracks.

chrisdw
    Free Member

A trek 4900 alpha!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Emmelle ….. something , followed by my first proper mtb … a bright yellow Trek 830 !

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Not a proper Mountain bike but my first knobbly tyred 26er was aRaleigh Marauder 1988 or 1989 I reckon I was into Megadeth so it has to be around then.

Upgraded from that to a Kona, then to Pace, then to alcohol and women

Waderider
    Free Member

First mountain bike? First mountain bike shaped object, or first real mountain bike?…..subjective.

Emmelle something or other, Townsend Explosion, Orange Clockwork. One of them meets the criteria. Personally I say the third.

martinhurton
    Free Member

The coolest paintjob of any bike I’ve had 😀

superfli
    Free Member

1989 Giant sierra with hyperglide and mountain lx groupset

Didnt have that shit on the front though

tomhoward

Carrera mission, I’m trying to buy another one 🙂

Proper one was an azonic ds evo

fasthaggis

One like this

Wildcat,hear me roar 🙂

nuke

Raleigh Mustang. Look like this but with added saddle and front tyre…

Still in my Dad’s garage complete

…although this was my first ‘real’ MTB…

Loved that paint job

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Orange Clockwork. One of them meets the criteria. Personally I say the third.

I would say that’s the first and last time Orange made a decent mountain bike…Oh no that and the Vitamin T 🙂

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

One of these, not this actual onbe.

null

frazchops
    Free Member

Thumbies check, E-stay check, Rigid check, U-brake check and for added fruity flavour mine also had bio-pace rings. Only the good stuff would suffice.

Cheezpleez

89 rockhopper in yellow with pink and blue decals, completely ineffective exage plastic rear u-brake, semi-indexed thumbies, etc. Did years of mtbing then commuting and went to the skip about six years ago when the drivetrain finally died.

docrobster
    Free Member

1994 khs Montana summit.
    £469 from langsett cycles.
    Pinched out the back garden last year. Gutted.

themoodster
    Free Member

1993 Raleigh Activator. Pimp! 8)

AndyF1
    Free Member

Al carter proffesional with biopace and farmer johns.

CaptJon
    Free Member

raleigh outland

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Saracen Tufftrax here, probably 1991 ish. Altus groupset , elastomer suspension on the front. Wheel lasted on the front about 3 months before I stacked it and started the mail order buying from Merlin of my first XT part of a front hub and a Mavic 231? rim, I think. The got given some inheritance and bought a nickel laquered Orange P7 with pace RC35 forks and my first bike build. Then went into Konas, which made the P7 turn like a barge. Loved my Kilauea in a greeny/ blue matt finish. The got a King Kahunna Ti, which I rode for years, but still hanker for another Kilauea sp?.

djglover
    Free Member

Not my pics, but the actual model of bikes I had from 14 to 17:

first mtb

second mtb

Third mtb

Fourth mtb

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Oh and mine had a crud bung, crud catcher, crud claw and a DCD. 😳

Northwind

Not sure what year this was, 1987 or thereabouts

simondbarnes

Late starter here – ’96 Orange P7

My first mtb ride by simondbarnes, on Flickr

shortcut

Here ya go. Sale bargain with quite a lot off.

knightrider
    Free Member

Diamond back Topanga, in massive gate size

richpips
    Free Member

A 1988 Rockhopper Comp like this.

Blimey, that was 25 years ago.

Check the U brake. LOL.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Not my pic, but it was a 1989 Giant Escaper, not dissimilar to this:

Bought 2nd hand from one of the older lads at the bike shop in 1990 – he’d moved onto a Muddy Fox Courier Comp, I think.

Happy days 🙂

matther01
    Free Member

1994 Marin Palisades Trail upgraded with brown walled 1.9 z max tyres and razor sharp saddle…that USA flag and purple stem and bars…nearly bought another a few months ago!

Scapegoat

A 1990 Emmelle 300 Classic which I bought to help me get back to fitness after a bad motorcycle accident in 1993. Biopace Chainrings, and a CroMo frame with bonkers gold crackle paintwork. Here it is in 2009 after I restored it to sell it.

tazzymtb

Raleigh Maverick in the mid 80’s

1981miked
    Free Member

First proper mountain bike that was up to the job was a Trek 930, must have been about 1994/5. It was red and black in colour, Rockshox Indy (I think) forks, shimano XT gearing, LX cantilever brakes (got changed to XT v brakes) and silver Mavic rims on black LX hubs. I loved that bike and would buy another if I could find a goon one.

Progressed onto a Trek Y22.. I think I lived that bike a bit more.. Been looking for a good one for ages but still no joy.

busydog
    Free Member

Spec. Stumpjumper—-yes I am that old (older actually)

sherry
    Free Member

Raleigh Bomber for me around 86 I think. Then moved onto an Al Carter around 91/92 and started to really get into biking. Tens of thousands of pounds later and I’m still buying bikes and parts. Cheaper to be a junkie Ha ha!

Candodavid
    Free Member

Dawes wildcat here too, 1987, still being used every day by my brother in law

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Your first ever mountain bike.’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts