Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)
  • your favourite section of singletrack anywhere?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Good to see a couple of votes for Mushroom Pie but then I helped dig/wheelbarrow it aong with the Pie Run. I especially like the first half of the Pie Run, brushing past the trees. Haven't been for ages but I liked the last descent at Nant Y Arian about seven years ago. Also liking the Coulags to Annat stuff and the singletrack from the wee bothy to Achnashellach station. But my fave is only five mins from my house and thats one of the reasons I love it. Very fast through the trees and the perfect gradient.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Take the Mushroom Pie blueprint Steven and make it 5 miles long please?

Ta

ChrisL

When I read the OP I think it was Grow Bag at Bike Village that really came to mind. If only it was more local to me. 🙂

Close seconds were the bit of Falla Brae at Glentress between where the red and black sections merge to the bridge and either Black Hill or Poet's Glen in the Pentlands.

Reading through this thread though I've managed to think of a few others too! Pie Run/Mushroom Pie are great and so is the singletrack at Nant yr Arian, particularly the last bit! I'd better not forget the last section at Kirroughtree, or some of the really nice bits in Kirkhill forest, or, or, etc. 🙂

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Not enough hours in the day Daveboy, nice thought tho'. We'd need hundreds of trailfairies to pull that one off, or two dozen latiric's 😀

ChrisL

Take the Mushroom Pie blueprint Steven and make it 5 miles long please?

That would be pretty cool. Especially if it still took only 10 seconds to get back to the start. 🙂

However there was an unusual set of circumstances that made Mushroom Pie end up like it did, I'm not sure it could be repeated intentionally! Plus given how much hassle getting the drainage for the trail done was, I'm not sure you'd find enough people willing to help build a 15 mile equivalent. As a point of reference I think it took the Trailfairies as long to build Mushroom Pie as it took them to build the Pie Run, despite the Pie Run being twice the length of Mushroom Pie…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Just remembered the singletrack we did near Wanlockhead at the SS champs at drumlanrig last year. Concentrated the mind.

ChrisL

Damn! I forgot to mention Drumlanrig! How come no-one else has already?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I wanted to call it Mushroom soup 😉

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Because most folks go to the 7stanes Chris, only ever done Drumlanrig at races but they've always been great fun.

NZCol

Be Rude Not To – Whakawerawera, Rotorua.
    Its not my local, i only ride there maybe twice a year yet everytime i ride it i come out the end giggling like a dirty schoolgirl !
    Local – second bit of Sally Alley at Makara Peak.

iainc

Drumlanrig, yeah, forgot about that one 😛

thefallguy
    Free Member

trail centre would have to be the "Loch of the Lowes" section at Kirroughtree

natural, probably cut gate from the cairn all the way down to North America Farm, nothing finer on a warm summer evening 😀

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Why has no one mentioned the Capel Mounth descent into Glen Clova yet? Imbeciles!

aviemoron
    Free Member

shortbread_fanylion – ssssh don't tell them. I'm not mentioning anything on my side of the Gorms.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

NZCol – With you there – Was gonna say Whakawerawera but couldn't think of one favorite bit as its all so good. Perhaps the best I have ridden in the world. (Closely followed by the Wanaka trails.)

colin@rush
    Free Member

Abroad Chamonix Argentiere in particular 30min long flowing gnarly awesome singletrack down…

This country "Farside" trail at the masts Afan Argoed…

freeridenick
    Free Member

Barry knows best – as thats what got me into this thing called riding bikes!

But for a proper wilderness singletrack experience
    Windy Pass in the Chilcotin mountains, BC

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Why has no one mentioned the Capel Mounth descent into Glen Clova yet? Imbeciles! <

'Cos its another overrated "Classic Scottish descent?" 😉

I'm with Aviemoron on this…

jimster
    Free Member

Man made – The stuff on the Penhydd trail is particularly sweet.

Natural – Minton Batch.

Cheeky – You know it if you're from Malvern. 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

Jedi's, short but sweet fast rooty single track near Ryde
    Knighton Gorges, VERY fast rooty single track, other side of the road from Jedi's
    Oh and Crazy Goat Field off the side of St Boniface, fast, gorse lined and rather narrow, perfect!
    Sadly most of the single track on the island isnt long enough, but its worth it!

jimster
    Free Member

Some of the singletrack in Wyre is pretty sweet.

allyharp

The descent from Fealar Lodge to Falls of Tarff in Glen Tilt is pretty good but the drops are huge at some points and I didn't really fancy the penalty for failure

So a safer option is along the side of the loch in the Gaick Pass

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

allyharp – MTFU :-). There's only one bit of rock drop where you would actually go over the edge if you got it wrong. The rest is great but too short to rate as top notch

mcinnes
    Free Member

Best thread ever. It's like a lifetime guide of trails to ride. Thank you.
    That is all.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"elliptic scalextric is that towards crooks peak or the other direction ?"

Roland: email me and I'll tell ye.

Mark of Zorro – sublime
    Smith's Combe – sh1t5 and giggles
    Webber's Post – variations

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Alpine and Waldo Lake trails, near Oakridge Oregon. Thats about 35 miles of singletrack

chakaping
    Free Member

Favourite bit of singletrack and best are two different things to me.

Favourite is a bit in my local woods that I've been riding for 15 years or so – and still love. You'd probably know it Jedi.

Best? Hmmm, probably either the descent from Tello on holiday with Freeride Spain (Sierra Nevada mountains).

RustySpanner

Either Boggart Hole Clough in Blackley, Manchester:
    Glen Avenue entrance down to the Rochdale Road entrance, skirting the John Lewis playing fields. Reminds me of Raleigh Grifters and being very small. Now a bit overgrown.

or

The drop down to LLanfairfechan, through the gorse bushes, from the signpost at the highpoint on the old Roman Road that ends up at the falls car park in Aber.

Great thread btw, loads of really good ideas on here.

Candodavid
    Free Member

The bit we just opened up this morning 😈

oxym0r0n

Here:

On the Quantocks, I think is my favourite, although some of Port Hills in NZ comes close…

jedi

awesome picture!

DoctorRad
    Free Member

@Rusty Spanner – is that basically heading north from the high point of the Roman Road above Llanfairfechan?

AndyP
    Free Member

wonderful bit at Hamsterley, away from the 'proper' trails. Long may it remain secret and unsullied
    there's a maybe 100m stretch a few mins from my house, I just ride it over and over and over again every time I go past. Just perfect, apart from the length.

noteeth
    Free Member

A sneaky stretch in the Mendips, in a wood that I pretty much grew up in.

Sanny
    Free Member

Home: Cairngorms. Hard to pick just one but the Lairig Grhu is pretty special of a summer's evening.

Abroad: Emerson Dam down to Martigny in Switzerland. More descending than you can shake a stick at with a little bit of everything.

Cheers

Sanny

jam-bo

oxymoron – that'll be that section in frog combe i mentioned several pages back….

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    Absolute best I've ridden is probably Trail 8 in Killington Vermont – twisty, rooty singletrack that traverses the mountain so it takes 40ish minutes

In the UK, I still feel the love for the singletrack I started riding on – Upper Quarry in Ashton Court, Bristol – on a good day, there's just no better feeling than flying along it.

Yeah Upper Quarry, or Badger as I know it as, is sweet. Smiths Coombe in the 'tocks is great, and I enjoy the Chimney, though it's not really singletrack. Cats Bells in the Lakes is nice as I recall, though I last rode it in 1994!

forge197
    Free Member

Current favourites.

Black Craigs the whole section after Heartbreak Hill at Kirroughtree love that bit

oxym0r0n

Thanks jedi (if you were referring to mine?)

jam bo ~ yes the very same, now I look back at your description. I like the fact that the 'entrance' is a bit hidden, steep and techy too. I just needs to be longer!

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Rhodedendron trail/Caravan/Jedi (no relation)/Camber, all in the Wyre. Can't choose between 'em.

As for 'man-made' trails, High As a a Kite an Nant-Yr-Arian is pretty sweet.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘your favourite section of singletrack anywhere?’ is closed to new replies.