Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Your favourite campsite?
  • Houns

Got a few days off next month and want to get away. Want to find a nice campsite in Wales or England (heading to Scotland later in year) features I’d like a. Pub near by b. Near water (lakeside or nice little river/stream) c. Fires permitted

Over to you

Spud

Graig Wen, Arthog nr Dolgellau. Cracking views, great hosts and have fires. Pub is a ride or walk away to Barmouth (closest) or Penmaenpool.

Houns

Camped near there before, ‘it’s a nice spot

Ok, best add places I don’t want to go as have been there plenty of times…. Shropshire, North Devon, Dolgellau area

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TheBrick
    Free Member

I have a lovely campsite in south Wale nr Brecon beacons but I am not posting publicly as over the years it has already become very popular.

tuboflard

Sykeside Campsite near Brotherswater is one of my favourites. Great biking nearby, on-site pub, great setting.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Small Batch, Little Stretton, Shropshire. Stream running through the site, pub at the end of the road, walk straight out of the site onto Shropshire hills. Church Stretton a couple of miles down the road, good biking on the doorstep. Only drawback facility,s are a bit basic but a beautifull spot.

Houns

Yep, stayed there many times!

ElShalimo

Humblebrag alert

I’m hoping one of the sites we’re staying on this week on Uist

😉

RoterStern
    Free Member

Have you been to the campsite in Aberdaron? Was quite a while ago I was there but can remember the beautiful views over the sea and the short walk to the local pub or beach.

Drac

Four Seasons.

zilog6128

Have you been to the campsite in Aberdaron?

just got back from a week camping on various sites in Wales including that one. It was ace, had a pitch right on the cliff. Didn’t try the pub as we cooked dinner on the beach which was cool. Only negative was the shower block is miles away although there are plenty of toilets/sinks etc closer.

Cwellyn Arms campsite at the foot of Snowden also ticks the boxes & is highly recommended (right on the lake) although the pub is about 10-15 min walk.

senorj

Hollows farm , Grange ,near Keswick.
    My first camping trip with my dad.
    My first with my son & my brothers & nephews!
    Plus the Borrowdale bash goes through it.
    No pub. Put some beers in the beck. (There is a restaurant nearby.

bigblackshed

Hill End, Llangennith. No fires though.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just as a heads up if anyone mentions callow top in “the peak(s)” then avoid at all costs. A cross between Guantanamo bay and Jeremy Kyle!

crankboy
    Free Member

Home

We had a week here two years ago on arrival I thought poo very regimented and loads of caravans, they drove us through that bit to a wild meadow with well spaces pitches round the edge and a fabulous sea view. There is an excellent Cafe/restaurant and easy access to a good beach. It was an STW recommendation.

martinhutch

Turner Hall Farm Campsite, Duddon.

Duddon River a few minutes walk away for dipping. Pub in Seathwaite (10 minutes walk). Firepits allowed off the ground.

Great MTBing/walking from the campsite.

juanking

Crankboy, very good campsite Tyddyn Isaf and Arthur’s pizzas are fantastic! We are off back there in the summer and look forward to it already.

The review link below sums it up well and the photo of the wetsuits drying were ours!

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/aug/24/the-perfect-british-camping-holiday-a-photo-essay?CMP=share_btn_fb

marp
    Free Member

Our fiends run a lovely little campsite called birds and bees just outside of Saxmundham in Suffolk. It’s set on their old dairy farm out in the country, only has a small number of pitches and has a pub down the road (short walk / wobble on the bike on quiet country lanes). Really quiet, chilled campsite and fires are allowed. We stayed there for a week last year and it was amazing…

Do’t think there is any water there though, but you aren’t far from the coast (Southwold / Dunwich)

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Lane head farm in between Keswick and whinlatter. Also close to skiddaw. Relaxed and allows dogs and campfires.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Always interested in a good camp site thread.

Might not be for the OP this time but it’s a good one if any of you need to stop close to the channel crossing ?? …. Or some east kent seaside action

Kingsdown

3 pubs within walking distance, the food is good in 2 of them. But catch big shrimps off the break water !! Put them with butter, some lemon, garlic or chill and throw on an allowed fire and eat while watching the ferries going back and forth.

Houns

Been checking out the ones listed so far, some nice spots, thanks. Keep ‘em coming

andyr
    Free Member

Of the ones I’ve been to so far – Fisherground campsite in Eskdale was brilliant. Campfires, playpark, stream & pond, river Esk & pub a short walk away and its own station for the Eskdale mini railway. The kids didn’t want to leave.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have a lovely campsite in south Wale nr Brecon beacons but I am not posting publicly as over the years it has already become very popular.

Well that isn’t very publicly spirited of you. Remind me not to give you help and advice next time you ask 😛

FWIW, we love https://humblebeefarm.co.uk/ near Filey – hidden away location but still only 15 minutes from the sea. It’s quite a long walk to the nearest pub, but it is walkable.

tinribz
    Free Member

Was at Grizedale campsite at Easter – Bowkerstead Farm. Facilities are from the 70s but very relaxed atmosphere. You can camp where you like with open fires, has streams, woods and farm animals.

Grizedale forest Park is 3 miles up the road with shops, cafe, activities etc. Ambleside, Windermere and Bowness just the other side of the hill.

stgeorge

Hillend Llangenith

Sven

Mason camp site in Appletreewick in the Yorkshire Dales, stream (river wharfe) at the bottom, 2 pubs in the village, and croissants for breakfast…

postierich
    Free Member

Loughrigg Tarn Campsite no showers but cheap as chips in a stunning location 5 min ride to the Brit. Turner Hall campsite is great. But the best campsites are the wild ones James if you need any bike packing gear let me know and come up and visit!

chrisridesbikes
    Free Member

I camped at Michelcombe Farm Dartmoor a few months back. Pretty basic but nice relaxed feel. Decent enough facilities. Fire pits with most pitches right next to a stream. Website doesn’t do it justice. Would go again anytime. Some nice spots (Venford, Hexworthy, Spitchwick etc.) on the river Dart nearby to explore aswell. Farmers Arms up the road but I didn’t try that.

Houns

Any New Forest area recommendations?

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Stayed here last weekend:
    https://www.westermill.com/index.html
    Lovely spot, riverside pitches, fires permitted. Good facilities, couple of pubs down the road.

CraigW
    Free Member

Glen Rosa, on Arran. I stayed there last weekend. It is a lovely spot, a field sloping down to the river. Basic facilities, toilets with cold water. Probably a mile or so to the nearest pub. Also not far to the brewery.

crankboy
    Free Member

juanking small world! we got the recommendation for the site off single track world and were there when the guardian went to do the article you linked to. Clearly nothing about us was sufficiently photogenic to make it into the article.

singlespeedstu

Bookmarking for later.

mahalo

wow 😀 thats the most kuntish thing ive ever read on here.

100inch
    Free Member

Pool bridge, near Porlock. Stream, fires, showers.

Jakester
    Free Member

Just as a heads up if anyone mentions callow top in “the peak(s)” then avoid at all costs. A cross between Guantanamo bay and Jeremy Kyle!

Used to go family camping there with Scouts in the 80’s and it was lovely. I presume it’s changed then!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Pool bridge, near Porlock. Stream, fires, showers.

2nd that, kids loved it

BigJohn

The campsite we go to a few times a year is Heritage Coast in Monknash, South Wales. 5 minutes from lovely pub, Plough and Harrow, which has featured in quite a few TV dramas (Poldark etc.)as it’s very old. 20 minutes walk from a totally deserted but beautiful beach.

The other is Gwerniago Farm near Machynlleth. Splendid site, but a bit farther to the pub.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Gotta give a shout to Middle Ninfa, just out of Abergavenny.
    Not too close to a pub but a great back to basics site.

No cars allowed on site, wheelbarrows are provided for getting your kit up the steep campsite to the various set campgrounds (carpark in field at entrance)
    Each pitch has rocks for building your fire pit. A friendly horse freely roams the site. Amazing views.

Showers are solar, compost shitter.

Home

Camping……………….at the Edge of the Wild

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Your favourite campsite?’ is closed to new replies.