Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Your family's Christmas traditions?
  • senorj

We’re not going home for the first time this Christmas so this thread is interesting.
    Which of your traditions to adopt? Ha.
    Going to miss Christmas Eve with my friend(s) in the local.
    Not to mention my mammy’s prawn cocktail . 😉
    Oh goodness ,just realised I won’t be going anywhere near Skiddaw on Boxing Day . Aaaaghhh.

Harry_the_Spider

My wife’s uncle will do a bottle of whiskey before arriving at our house. He will then proceed to crack “jokes” or be a racist – they’re just not like us [/i] – for the next 6 hours.

I will walk away to avoid conflict / or stay put and have conflict.

Later my wife an I will have a row.

mightymule
    Free Member

It is Mr Mule’s birthday on Christmas day (the inconsiderate bugger) so Christmas day is Strictlly Birthday, until we go to my parents’ house in the evening – then we have Christmas.

In terms of xmas day traditions, we have a tradition of chilling out with my parents, eating too much food, opening presents, and having a pleasant relaxing night chatting about random stuff while drinking Mr Muke Sr’s expensive whisky, before going to bed at silly o-clock in the morning.
    Not that exciting – but a really nice relaxing stress free day.

tjagain

As usual I will be up at 5.30 to go to work coming back home at 9pm. I will have to be jolly all day at work and usually cook my staff a breakfast.

Mrs TJ simply locks the doors and takes the phone off the hook to have a day to herself

stcolin
    Free Member

Generally my parents end up fighting, or things just go quiet at about 7pm. Christmas holds no good feelings for me to be honest. This yea may be different as my mums illness will change things. Unfortunately it could be the last one she remembers. She has Alzheimers.

metalheart
    Free Member

I’m a strict traditionalist.

So its a blood sacrifice and fire during the longest night…

Christmas is for the weak… 😉

oreetmon
    Free Member

Got a take away curry banquet last Christmas Eve and warmed it up for Christmas dinner, mum didn’t have to run round in the kitchen all morning and I didn’t have to wash every pot and pan they own before I went home.
    Will prob do the same this year.

simmy
    Free Member

Anything to get the day over, I just like normality.

I’m working till Xmas eve then back in on the Tuesday. Rather be at work than having to be nice to people you hate and generally jolly through the crappy Xmas period.

Bah humbug…….

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Some right sad bastard haters about.

I love the whole festive period, Xmas Eve is prob my fave though.

Sandwich

Driving, there’s always driving now I have grown up children. We go to the Son-In-Laws pub on Christmas morning. Strangely there is free beer. I will at some point have to ask Mrs Sandwich to ease up on my daughter. There are board games and a little rubbish TV. Cheese will also be in attendance for the evening with cake. We didn’t do it last year and I missed it.

bob_summers

Phil Spector’s Christmas Album. Waking up to The Ronettes and the wall of sound.

Still play it now, even though the 25th for me means little more than a long bike ride and a big curry for tea. This year though, junior’s ‘aware’ of Christmas for the first time so I’m going to have to step it up a bit!

chewkw
    Free Member

Eat, drink, sleep and watch TV …

Go out for a walk if I can be bothered.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Christmas Eve means finishing any wrapping, ride or run with the dog, Pub with close family (first one without my Mum, whichllbe emotional), Christmas films, kids in bed, bubbly and party food with the wife, set up the traditional Christmas scenario of old man with white beard has broken into the house, drunk port, eaten carrots and mine pies, and left two presents – if I’m lucky there may be some naughty business with the wife.

Christmas & Boxing Day at MIL’s. all the usual stuff, turkey, wine, song and presents and the number one tradition of 10.30am Jameson &a Ginger Ale. Walk the dog in the woods, take in some air then hit the port and cheese and cold meats. Bliss.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Pissed before the turkey is properly cooked and asleep by the Bond movie.
    I hate Christams.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

First Xmas as newlyweds coincided with my first meeting with MIL in England and stay over at hers for the holiday. Already sounds dangerous but she was initially charming. All went well until we upset the applecart by nipping out stargazing (it was nr the Lizard) which she took major offence towards for reasons I still can’t fathom. Anyway blazing row (nearly blows) between Mrs MR and MIL the next morning so we hastily packed camped at a local inn for NYE where got steamingly drunk, ordered a ‘Bangalore’ curry (local special allegedly hotter than a phaal) and went back to room. mrs MR took one taste and sensibly refused it. I was not going to waste money or go hungry so sat on the bed force-eating it until literally crying with pain before throwing up. Left it an hour before joining revelling clientele in the bar and then somehow got a good-natured ear-bending from a militant ‘Scillonian Nationalist’ dressed as a zombie. Got more drunk,escaped the zombie to find Mrs MR doing synchronised handstands against the residents lounge wall along with a strange girl from Bristol, both of whom were hardly recognisable as their skirts were around their necks (THERE you are! look this is my new friend ANITA!! HIC, SPLAT). Ffs

Joined by an arriving French couple (which stopped the gymnastics) we then drank more while telling tales around the table which somehow descended into Franglais discussions about the word for breaking wind.

Me – ‘Ah, in English – fart – f.a.r.t’
    French bloke – ‘ah – en Francais…’ at which exact point he let rip a perfectly executed and lengthy fart , amply, er, amplified by the leather sofa.

Much laughter before we finally made our excuses and staggered to our room. Approx 2.30am there was gentle yet persistent knocking and Bristolian giggling on our door – assumedly from Handstand Woman. Much drunken ‘shush’ing until she finally gave up and the knocking ceased. Mrs MR now passed out and snoring – I can’t sleep now so I grab my PS2 from luggage and hook up in the TV lounge to play GT3 on the giant projection screen until passed out alone. Made some reparations with MIL on New Years Dayand scoffed her generously cooked ox tongue which I still refer to as Mother In Law’s Tongue 🙂

A xmas we once hoped to forget yet now remember with curious fondness!

Northwind

My little brother and I always watch Sneakers. It’s the second best Christmas film ever made. Oh OK, I forgot Yogi’s First Christmas, it’s the 3rd best Christmas film

“I want peace on earth and goodwill toward men.”
    “We are the United States Government! We don’t do that sort of thing.”

For some reason, we start christmas late, like, decorations go up just a few days before. But they stay up til the 12th night- my brother’s birthday. Law is you have to take them down by the end of the 6th January, which for us means you can’t take them down before. I think the “don’t put them up early” thing was a live christmas tree thing originally. Anyway, proper traditions shouldn’t make sense.

lunge – Member

We always get a £1 coin and a tangerine wrapped and given as a present by my Mom.

Until the day they die, my mum and dad will give each of my brothers a 50p piece and an apple, wrapped in tinfoil, for christmas. Nobody knows why but some day I plan to use it as evidence they’ve gone senile and get them thrown in a home so I can sell their house.

garage-dweller

Nobody knows why but some day I plan to use it as evidence they’ve gone senile and get them thrown in a home so I can sell their house.

That’s cold!
    But genius 😆

We’re pretty dull compared to you lot.

Just the four of us on Christmas day + ageing mother in law who is no trouble. Christmas dinner is basically a normal roast dinner with addition of pigs in blankets meaning the day is not wasted on the kitchen. Boxing Day is only ever just us. Usually go out to a country park if it’s nice. Bit of a walk or famiky bike ride.

New year brings us to Christmas 2 when we go to see my parents.

Years ago before marriage I used to go out in Bournemouth as designated driver on Xmas eve with my then girlfriend and friends then would be in Suffolk for breakfast on Xmas day, which usually consisted of the streaky bacon intended to go on top of the turkey.

blitz

We’ve got quite a few thinking about it

There’s one that’s quite special for us though. My wife always had her Dad’s old rugby sock as a stocking. The story goes that before her first Xmas, her mum realised she didn’t have a stocking so her Dad put a hole in the top of his rugby sock and they used that. It then became a tradition and she still has it and we use it every year. My FIL passed away a few years ago and now I put a present in it each year for my wife. When we had kids ourselves, I followed suit and put a hole in my football socks (don’t play rugby) to make their stockings and so it carries on.

woody21
    Free Member

A few years Mrs W and I went to my parents for Xmas day lunch. Unfortunately MiL not happy as “everyone went there for Xmas lunch” – compromise agreed we would go there for tea. Arrived there at about 4.00pm only to find that no one had ate lunch – MiL insisted that everyone had to wait until we got there before they could eat. Anyway two Xmas lunches later and angry looks from rest of family

Thank god it will soon be over

mikey74
    Free Member

so her Dad put a hole in the top of his rugby sock

Wasn’t there already a hole in the top of his sock? :mrgreen:

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Bucket bongs before breakfast followed by carols and presents.

Perhaps a little graffiti in the afternoon, the streets are quiet.

Flaperon

The tradition here is that I always seem to be working Christmas Day, so usually get home in the early hours on the 26th.

But on an average Christmas Day it’ll be a late start, getting down to present opening first. Usually delayed because my brother won’t have bothered wrapping anything or realised that he’s forgotten to get someone a gift.

Leisurely breakfast, lunch skipped (I go for a long run now) then Christmas dinner as a family in the evening. Crap film on TV, much beer, nearly always have great time.

My grandma used to love Christmas with us but died 4 years ago; it’s still tough.

DavidB
    Free Member

Every year we go swimming in the sea after breakfast. No swim, no presents.

dannyh
    Free Member

Blackadders Christmas Carol.

mactheknife

simmy – Member
    Anything to get the day over, I just like normality.
    I’m working till Xmas eve then back in on the Tuesday. Rather be at work than having to be nice to people you hate and generally jolly through the crappy Xmas period.
    Bah humbug…….

Seriously?? That’s actually pretty sad 🙁

Flaperon

Every year we go swimming in the sea after breakfast. No swim, no presents.

That’s weird, that used to be one of our Christmas traditions too. Though my dad used to take us out on a boat and throw us into the sea so we could swim home. That was easy, though; the hard bit was getting out of the sack.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Me and my old man always used to go and get pretty pissed up the local while my mom cooked the dinner. That stopped when my old boy could no longer drink. Christmas is rather a sober affair these days. 🙁

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We don’t usually have anything traditional because up to now either one of us was always working, (Prison service & NHS)

However, now that wer’e both part time….we’ll probably get extra pissed on Xmas eve, get up about 10 on Xmas day, attempt an extra fancy Sunday lunch (cos that’s all it is in reality) get pissed again, go to bed early on Xmas night.
    Job done, roll on next Xmas. Not.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Awkward silences punctured by racist opinions and joyless present giving from an approved gift list. I told my family what i really wanted for Christmas this year was to be ignored.

mattbee

As per the last 16 years we’ll go to the in laws place on Christmas Eve. There will be a big chunk of cow in the smoker or on the BBQ and we’ll eat that whilst the FIL and I drink too much red wine & whisky.
    Christmas morning is time for a ride, duration and type (road or mtb) depend on severity of hangover.
    Wife usually works some sort of shift due to being an A&E nurse practitioner. This year it’s a twilight. That means presents distributed late morning and dinner early afternoon so she can have it too, although for the rest of us it marks the descent into a food induced coma rather than work thank god.
    Boxing Day is off to our caravan for a few days of riding and relaxing in equal measure.
    Buffered if I know what my ‘blood’ family do traditionally as I’ve not shared the day wi any of them for a long time, other than a few phone calls. Mum is a nurse, as is one sister. Another sis is a police person and the third lives in Japan so the odds of us ever being in the same place at the same time are vanishingly small…

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Your family's Christmas traditions?’ is closed to new replies.