Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Your e-bike is a motorbike….
  • raybanwomble
    Free Member

According to Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme (FIM)

https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/uci-bans-federation-internationale-de-motocyclisme-electric-mountain-bike-racing-53857/

Hah! I reckon this is a troll from an e-bike and UCI hater in the FIM. :d

kcr
    Free Member

It’s a turf war between the two bodies to try and claim first rights to a new form of competition. The UCI obviously see a juicy new market as the user base grows.
    It’s an interesting argument, because it highlights the fact that e-bikes are in some undefined middle ground between cycle sport and motorsport. If they are going to classify them by maximum power output, it feels like they fall more into the motorsport world.

bikebouy
    Free Member

UCI you say,

That means ….

💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰💰

And some brown envelopes

mos

So why would they discipline a UCI rider for doing an FIM event? Would the same apply if a DH rider were to do an Enduro or Motocross event or MXGP?

JAG

IF the power source is not derived from physical, human, effort then it’s a motorbike.

Power output is irrelevant surely??

taxi25
    Free Member

And we’re off 😂😂

PiknMix
    Free Member

And we’re off 😂😂

POPCORN… get your popcorn here. 🍿

bluebird
    Free Member

Has the UCI actually got any legal power to ban members from other competition?

taxi25
    Free Member

Has the UCI actually got any legal power to ban members from other competition?

I don’t imagine they can ban you from riding in anything. But if you want to ride in a uci event after ridding in a “banned” event, they could refuse entry or impose a penalty before they let you compete.
    I’m sure a uci license has it in the small print.

andybrad

tbh it seems like a good thing.

otherwise its guilty by association thats its a motorbike

Poopscoop

#InBeforeGeex.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Pedelec/assist or twist-and-go?

I’m not sure that there is yet a universal definition for ‘e-bike’?

tomd
    Free Member

IF the power source is not derived from physical, human, effort then it’s a motorbike.

BLASPHEMER! It’s actually more human work because it’s so much fun that you work harder for longer and further so really it’s ***more*** human powered than a normal bike.

It also makes mountain biking betterer and it’s really just like improvements to suspension / brakes / gears (delete as appropriate).

If none if that works you’re just an ableist scumbag trying to prevent enjoyment of the outdoors by disabled people.

kerley
    Free Member

Pedelec/assist or twist-and-go?

I think that is the obvious distinction. If you get some assistance only when you pedal and only up to a certain speed then it is an electric bicycle whereas if you don’t need to pedal at all it is an electric motorbike

Andy-R

Like this?

nealglover
    Free Member

That would depend on whether you are talking about an established legal definition, or just an ill conceived personal opinion/troll (delete as appropriate) based on sticking together two words.

cookeaa

Has the UCI not developed their own E-MTB format yet? Figures…

I mean obviously it’s a great way to lay your hands on some new-golfer’s cash and the UCI is known for liking people’s money, but also for operating at a glacial rate.

So this is just sour grapes because they didn’t spot an obvious opportunity to fleece some tubby weekend warrior types (again)…

JAG

My original comment is based on pure fact. No emotional content or opinion was included.

A Motorbike is a vehicle consisting of two wheels held in a frame one behind another with a motor to propel it.

A bicycle is a vehicle consisting of two wheels held in a frame one behind another, propelled by pedals.

How the motor creates the power to propel the motorbike is unimportant. How that power is or is not blended with any additional power source (such as human effort via pedals etc…) is similarly unimportant.

I have no axe-to-grind one way or another and I want everyone to be able to access any outdoor recreation that they want. I hope that clarifies my original comment!

igm

Does adding Di2 make a bike electrically assisted and possibly subject to FIM rules too? 😜

ayjaydoubleyou

Does adding Di2 make a bike electrically assisted and possibly subject to FIM rules too? 😜

Lights at 24hr championships?
    Power, HRM, garmin for XC and Road?
    Electric cable car for DH world cup?

Its not physically assisting the ride.

Although I think no data for road races will make the races more interesting.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Your e-bike is a motorbike….’ is closed to new replies.