Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 219 total)
  • Your cycling confessions
  • Premier Icon singletrackmind

I have cut a ride short due to an obsession. . .

With a Tesco Rotissori Chicken , Waldorf salad and crusty French Bread

Woeful excuse , but what can I say

Premier Icon 136stu

With a Tesco Rotissori Chicken , Waldorf salad and crusty French Bread

My Tesco never has any Waldorfs.

Premier Icon DrP
    Free Member

I get really annoyed when people spend thousands on a bike and don’t care about it’s functions and set up obsessively.. Suspension being one…!
    There’s SO much to fiddle with to get right!

DrP

Premier Icon trailwagger
    Free Member

I own more cycling clothes than I do regular clothes.

Premier Icon tjagain

I cannot recognise different makes of bikes at all and I don’t care!¬ people say to me “you must know so and so he rides a such and such”. I tend to reply – “is it red ?” I simply have no interest thus cannot tell a yeti from a boardman!

Premier Icon mariner
    Free Member

I bought a gravel bike.
    Hated it.

Premier Icon BruceWee
    Free Member

I don’t actually own any bikes or even know how to ride one.

I just really like talking about head angles.

Premier Icon corroded
    Free Member

I have zero interest in tuning my suspension. I’ll get it roughly right then leave it forever more.

Premier Icon lunge

Right now, I much prefer running to cycling. Which meant that last year I rode reasonable mileage but almost all of it was commuting. I reckon I did under 10 rides that weren’t commuting, and that included Ride London and Velo Birmingham.

But irrelevant of the above, I still stockpile bargain kit, mostly tyres. So if anyone needs a pair of well aged, fast road tyres then let me know, I have a selection available.

Premier Icon funkmasterp

I hate any form of bike maintenance. Love riding the things, but maintenance is just a chore.

Premier Icon ravingdave

I never do or pay for maintenace.
    Nor do i clean my bikes. My commuter hasnt been cleaned in over 2 years. My fs mtb in over 6 months

Premier Icon funkmasterp

Hi five for you! My kinda maintenance

Premier Icon ThePinkster

I couldn’t care less about MTB racing of any kind and have absolutely no interest in who’s racing for whom.

Premier Icon iancity1
    Free Member

I struggle fixing punctures. takes me 1-2 hours to do it at home, never had one out in the wild but 90% sure I wouldn’t be able to cope.

When the inevitable happens, and I can’t fix it, its time to turn to Tannus tyres (jees, alliteration much!) 🙁

Roadie btw, only here for the craic 🙂

Premier Icon markgraylish
    Free Member

(1) When the weather is good, I’d rather ride on the road than in the forest…

(2) I got a dog primarily for trail buddy purposes as none of my human friends are reliable enough☹️

(3) <Darwin Award nominee> I occasionally ride double black North Shore trails at night and solo, apart from said doggy trail buddy. Doggy has not yet mastered calling 911 on my phone either…</Darwin Award nominee>

(4) My idea of tweaking the suspension on my bike is to drop or add in a few PSI to the tyres

Premier Icon mattyfez
    Free Member

I ride a reletivley high spec 26er.
    XC geometry so not trendy long and low.
    I like it, I have no intention of buying a new bike unless something catastrophic happens to it.

Premier Icon robj20
    Free Member

I have zero interest in tuning my suspension. I’ll get it roughly right then leave it forever more.

This, and its why my next suspension i want a damper with less adjustment, open, normal and climb would be perfect.

More travel is not always better.

Premier Icon tetrode

Count me in as another one who absolutely hates MTB in the wet and mud. I’d rather be on Zwift than try to go for a ride in those conditions. Consequently I’ve gotten a lot fitter in these winter months! Roll on summer though, dry trails are best trails.

Premier Icon squirrelking
    Free Member

Roll on summer though, dry trails are best trails.

What day is it this year? As I recall last year it was a Tuesday.

Premier Icon muddylegs
    Free Member

I still use toe clips from time to time…..on my mtb😁

Premier Icon Keva
    Free Member

if I go for a road ride I prefer riding a rigid mtb singlespeed with 26er 1.5 tyres rather than a road bike with gears.

Premier Icon richmtb

I’ve never actually demo-ed a bike before I’ve bought it. Closest I ever got was riding a Heckler for a day then buying a Blur!

But I’m completely convinced that every new bike has been better than the one before it. I’m either immensely lucky with my bike choice or a good chunk of the “wow this bike is amazing” is just in my head.

Premier Icon philjunior
    Free Member

BruceWee

I don’t actually own any bikes or even know how to ride one.

I just really like talking about head angles.

Me too, I tried running though and it’s a bit too much like hard work.

Fancy starting a bike company? I think there’s a gap in the market.

Premier Icon Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have realised that it’s about the ride, not the equipment. Despite this, I mourn my lack of passion for new kit.

I suspect that at 46 I’ll never progress beyond the standard I am at now, and I am comfortable with that fact. Despite this another part of me rails at such a lazy and defeatist attitude.

I am deliberately more abrasive on the forum
    than my real life persona in order to elicit even the faintest glimmer of the old forum of the early/mid 2000s instead of this pale, anodyne, dissatisfying version we find ourselves with, that sadly, is still better than all the others.

Premier Icon winston
    Free Member

I was a bit abrupt to an ebiker who overtook me on the way up a hill on Wednesday

I was even more abrupt when I overtook him on the way down.

Premier Icon immaterial
    Free Member

I wear undercrackers under my cycling shorts, which I wear under MTB baggies.

I have ridden my mtb exactly once this year.

Premier Icon chakaping

I hate any form of bike maintenance. Love riding the things, but maintenance is just a chore.

*high five*

I’m a (mostly reformed) serial bike swapper, almost always involving frame swaps (usually a couple a year) – but ironically I find building them up tiresome and annoying.

Benn putting off new build for a month or so already.

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk

Have just spent the last 2 months injured building my ‘dream’ bike.

– I didn’t enjoy building it (it’s still not finished)

– It came out heavier than the spreadsheet said it would (surprise surprise…)

– I think it’s the wrong size

– I can no longer build wheels and now have a very expensive handbuilt front wheel which is somehow off-centre (rim brake front, should build up symmetrically without trying!).

– It has somehow now cost me the same as a very nice carbon Orbea Terra would have, albeit with much nicer wheels and the ‘right’ length cranks.

I guess the general ‘omni-confession’ is that I am far too fussy. I wish I could forget all my weird little preconceptions and OCD and just go back to riding whatever I have to hand and enjoying it!

I did all this just because I couldn’t live with squeaky disc brakes in wet winter conditions, but now see reviews for Swisstop pads which run quiet in all conditions!

D’OH!

Premier Icon ali69er
    Free Member

Ok, I admit it, I did a shit at devils dyke whilst out road biking. I ripped up my castelli gloves to wipe my bum. They were the only present my brother in law has ever bought me.

Free Member

Ok, I admit it, I did a shit at devils dyke whilst out road biking…

Haha, that reminds me of the time I was walking Inners before a race and got caught short around the XC track where it turna into a series of jumps (big dipper?). Ended up with my back against a tree dropping my guts praying nobody was out for an evening ride. Bad enough at that point but even worse when you realise you have nothing to wipe with which necessitates a shuffle along the track to look for some handy leaves.

Premier Icon BruceWee
    Free Member

It’s starting to get a bit Bear Grylls now but I reckon moss is actually best for bum wiping when out in the wild.

Free Member

Probably, I wasn’t being too fussy though as my other options were gravel, sticks or pine needles.

Premier Icon rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I fell asleep on a bike going to work for a 6 am start.

Also I have not learnt to drive at 51.

Premier Icon chakaping

It’s starting to get a bit Bear Grylls now but I reckon moss is actually best for bum wiping when out in the wild.

Never tried that, have you?

Ferns are brilliant though, you can get a clean finish and it actually feels quite nice.

Premier Icon Jordan

chakaping

Never tried that, have you?

Ferns are brilliant though, you can get a clean finish and it actually feels quite nice.

Try nettles for that little extra excitement.

Premier Icon white101

My only upgrades to my 4yr old MTB are new tyres, 26″ at that.

My previous mtb, a stumpy that was stolen, did at least have new tyres and grips during its ownership.

Premier Icon singlespeedstu

I once slashed my thumb open trying to pull a tangled up fern out of my rear mech.
    I’ll not be putting them anywhere near my arse thank you very much. 😲

Premier Icon didnthurt

I like the idea of mountain biking in a group but in reality find it to be slow and tedious due to the stop start nature of the riding.
    Probably why I end up almost exclusively riding off-road by myself although I do enjoy riding on the road as a small group.

Premier Icon didnthurt

Similar to an earlier post, I have more cycling shoes than non cycling shoes.

Premier Icon chakaping

Similar to an earlier post, I have more cycling shoes than non cycling shoes.

Easily

I’ll not be putting them anywhere near my arse thank you very much.

Your loss. You don’t know what you’re missing.

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 219 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.