• This topic has 29 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by Cougar.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Your curry sauce recipes
  • Premier Icon Merak
    Free Member

I have chicken, peppers, mushroom, garlic and tinned tomatoes.

I also have a veritable plethora of spices.

I don’t have a sauce.

How do you make yours?

Premier Icon scamperjenkins
    Free Member

I use the base sauce recipe in The Curry Guy Bible. Do a job lot then freeze in portions. It’s quite bland on its own but the idea is you then add more spices etc when you make different curries. It’s basically a shed load of onions, garlic, ginger, spices, vege and oil. Simmered for ages and then skim off the oil to be used as seasoned cooking oil in any number of curry or non curry dishes. Blend what’s left to a soup consistency.

Premier Icon stox

I know a few lads at work who use this

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

You’re gonna need onions too – I struggle to think of many authentic curry recipes (Bangladeshi/Indian) that don’t have a base of onion.

Premier Icon beaker

The answer here is The Spicery You can thank me later…

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

They are correct about the onions.

Onions, coriander, cumin, ginger, garlic, turmeric. Those are the ‘essentials’

Other stuff depends on whether you want to make traditional or British takeaway curry.

Or a ‘student curry’. ie put some Asda curry powder in some tinned toms and proceed to boil whatever else available in it!

Chicken? I like an Andhra inspired gravy, ie

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/andhra-chicken-curry-recipe-kodi-kura-with-step-by-step-pictures/

Here’s also a very basic chicken curry:

https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/chicken-curry/

Less is often more, especially with fresh ingredients.

Premier Icon DougD
    Free Member

The answer here is The Spicery You can thank me later…

Came here to recommend this, it’s fantastic. Such tasty meals and simple recipes

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon

Onions, garlic, ginger etc as required,

Paste/powder

Chickpeas/lentils/soya chunks/tofu (I’m a veggie)

+
    Yogurt
    or
    Stock/gravy
    or
    Coconut milk

+
    fresh tomatoes, roasted cauliflower, cubed potatoes, roasted squash etc.

Premier Icon pothead
    Free Member

The Curry Guy Bible.

^^^^^this^^^^^^

Premier Icon lewisdeacon

That Curry Guy Bible base sauce is great – works really well making a larger batch and then freeze as @scamperjenkins says

Premier Icon salad_dodger

After someone asked the same question on here a long while back, I’ve been using thismuslimgirlbakes.com as there’s lots of recipes with idiot step by step how to guide and photo’s.

Premier Icon freeagent
    Free Member

That Curry Guy Bible base sauce is great – works really well making a larger batch and then freeze as @scamperjenkins says

+1.
    The books are really good and you’ll find he’s done a YouTube tutorial for most recipes – you really can’t screw it up.

Premier Icon Merak
    Free Member

@freeagent you’d be surprised 😬

Cheers for the pointers.

Will check out thismuslimgirlbakes and probably purchase the curry Bible.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Will check out thismuslimgirlbakes and probably purchase the curry Bible.

One day I definitely recommend trying a slow-cooked traditional home-made everyday Indian chicken curry like the second link I posted. ymmv, but as much as I like Brit takeaway style (curry guy etc) food you still can’t beat the original.

Think a Gregg’s pastie, High St, Tooting vs Mrs Pethick’s family recipe pastie from her home kitchen in Delabole. Or mum’s shepherds pie vs a Sainsburys ready meal. I can eat hundreds of takeway/commercial-homemade-hybrid shepherds pies, currys, pasties, ready-roasts etc and have – but they lack that homemade authenticity which is impossible to describe but always remembered as a meal that was particularly savoured.

as said, ymmv and…
    …ymspmv😎

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

The thing with most curries is not to rush them or they just taste thin and hot rather than rounded and flavoursome. If a recipe says ‘simmer on a low heat until the oil separates from the sauce’ then do just that. Turning it up when you are in a rush will not get the same results.

Premier Icon blokeuptheroad
    Free Member

Base spices, tumeric, ground coriander, cumin, fresh ginger. I also like fenugreek – not everyone does. Fresh chillies are better than chilli powder IMO and Chuck some fresh chopped coriander leaves as a garnish.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Fresh chillies are better than chilli powder IMO

Dried chillies that have been soaking for an hour in warm water are also just about as good as fresh IMO

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy

Coconut milk and ready made curry paste in a pinch :p

Premier Icon pothead
    Free Member

Another tip is to NEVER eat it on the day you make it, absolutely always tastes better when reheated after a night in the fridge with chopped coriander added just before serving

Premier Icon Cougar

Another tip is to NEVER eat it on the day you make it, absolutely always tastes better when reheated after a night in the fridge

See also, chilli.

Premier Icon bob_summers

Bookmarked.

I bought a book years ago by the owner of my fave Gujarati place (Prashad, Bratfud) and still default to the recipes in there even though I know them all by heart now.

Key is a masala – fresh hot green chilis ground into a paste with garlic or ginger, or the tempering/tarka spiced oil. I go through a lot of mustard seeds in particular and asafoetida (sp?) makes a big difference in the ‘authenticity’.

What I don’t tend to make is curryhouse style recipes, so don’t do that big pan of onion & ginger sauce – but actually should, as I miss UK-style curry.

Premier Icon binners

Premier Icon Russell96

Curries and Spicy Dishes for Your Slow Cooker by Kris Dhillon is a book worth getting.

Premier Icon ElVino

https://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/lamb-pork-or-beef-madras

This is my go to curry sauce, I tend to substitute tinned for fresh tomatoes and if I can get a big bunch of Coriander I add the cleaned roots and stalks to the sauce. I usually blend the sauce with a hand blender and add the meat. It needs a fair amount of reducing to thicken and concentrate the flavor.

Premier Icon dannyh

I’ve got a few ‘go-to’ base recipes but I normally end up adding a pinch of this and a dash of that.

Number one tip for me is to have at least some of your onions, garlic and ginger whizzed into a paste after cooking, then added back and recooked a little bit just before you put the main liquid (usually canned tomatoes) in. This gives a middle bit of texture between the liquid and any chunky bits of onion.

I also did a ‘chip shop’ curry sauce from BBC Good Food involving chicken stock and then blended into a smooth gravy-like sauce. It was bloody lovely and was a very close copy of the typical chinese curry sauce.

For more advanced flavours have a look at the Fudco ingredients that are stocked by Sainsbury’s. I have a bag of Kasuri Methi from there that gives a flavour you ‘know’ from restaurant curries but would never get without it.

Premier Icon RobHilton
    Free Member

You’re gonna need onions too – I struggle to think of many authentic curry recipes (Bangladeshi/Indian) that don’t have a base of onion.

Authentic? You mean Brindian 🙂

Jains don’t eat onions – and plenty of other things

Premier Icon joelowden

bob_summers has it right…. Prashad’s curries are the biz 👍👍

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Jains don’t eat onions

I had not heard of a Jain before today, but now I have read up a little about the Jain religion I am not seeing the connection between Jains and traditional Indian/Bangladeshi cooking though.

Premier Icon cx_monkey

I’m embarassed to say this, but Jamie Oliver’s curry paste recipes have been working really well for me:
    https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetable-recipes/easy-homemade-curry-pastes/

I’ve used the Jalfrezi and Rogan Josh ones, or a mash up of somewhere in the middle…
    A few people have mentioned the importance of onion – i very gently fry a big white onion for quite a long timeuntil super soft. I alwasy use ghee for this too. Then bosh in the paste and gently cook that for as long as you can cope with – the idea is to get it as dark as possible without burning, before then adding your meat/protein to seal that in the paste/onion. Then in white a tin of chopped tomatoes. Add in whatever extras you want now – winter has seen squash in there most times, but obvs peppers, chick peas, cauliflower – whatever – i’m normally just emptying the past its best stuff in to not waste it. You’ll probably also need to top of the liquids with an ish half a can of water. I’ll normally fire in a handful of dried cayenne chillis now too.

I’m sure doing this over a low heat on the hob will be fine, but I’ve been doing mine in the oven for an hour and a half, or more, depending on what meat is in there. 160 fan, in a big cast iron casserole dish.

Its probably not even close to authentic – but results are pretty damned good every time. Apologies again for the Jamie Oliver link. Haiyaa…

Premier Icon Cougar

I know he’s not being serious – hell, I don’t know anything of the sort, it’s Binners so he might well be – but that Bisto instant stuff does actually make a half decent curry sauce of the sort you’d pour over chips. You need to use like double the amount of granules it suggests, and it’s quite mild so adding a dash of chilli powder or curry powder wakes it up a bit.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.