Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)
  • Your best & worst chocolate bar….
  • beamers

Best:

The whole thing gone in the blink of an eye.

Worst:

Anything from the US of A.

jimdubleyou

For UK, a lion bar is the best, bounty by far the worst.

I’ve had the misfortune to be given US chocolates before. Reeses Pieces taste like actual vomit, so I’m picking those for worst overall.

I favour slab of chocolate these days – the Tesco Intense dark (84%) is pretty good, but I actually prefer the regular dark at 75%.

perchypanther
    Free Member

they seem to have a better ratio of chocolate to wafer than regular Kit Kats.

You know what that stuff in between the wafers of a Kit- Kat is?

It’s more, ground up Kit-Kats. The ones that come off the production line that are damaged or imperfect get mulched up and that’s what that brown stuff is.

Which kinda begs the question….When they first made Kit-Kats, where did they get the kit-kats from to make the filling?

DrJ

Then I started typing and remembered that Hershey bars exist.

I think at the begining of ‘1984’ there’s a bit where Winson Smith describes his chocolate as tasting like burnt paper. I couldn’t imagine that until I went to the US and tasted Hershey’s. I lived down the street from a Hershey’s factory. Vile stuff.

Anyway, if we only count proper chocolate bars, worst is Bounty, and best is a toss-up between Crunchie and mint Aero.

nickc

Best : Turkish delight…I know, I know, it’s really sweet and cloying and rubbery and just looks all wrong…but just something about them…

Worst: O Henry…My partner’s Canadian, for ages she banged on and on about how amazing Oh Henry bars are..Well, like every single other piece of tat passing itself off as chocolate, so it is for these…I’ve no idea what North Americans do to make their “chocolate” so vile, but at least they’re consistent about it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Turkish delight…I know, I know, it’s really sweet and cloying and rubbery and just looks all wrong…but just something about them…

Agreed…. but not the new Lemon ones. They are a bit shonky

jonnyrobertson

I’m a sucker for a Diam bar, it has to be said but is it my favourite? I’m not sure what is. Lidl do a really good Mars and Snickers bars, better than the Mars products IMO.

Worst, well Turkish delight is pretty grim but I’m with the majority in saying that Hershey’s is vile. They have no business calling that stuff chocolate.

MoreCashThanDash

Chunky Kit Kat is the best.

Herscheys is the worst. Never mind chlorinated chicken and the NHS, if the true cost of Brexit is having to import more of that shit, I’ll be sending a strongly worded letter to the editor of the Derby Telegraph!

retro83
    Free Member

Best: Toblerone

Worst: Coconut Toblerone. Packaging almost identical to the real deal. I nearly puked at the first bite.

jimdubleyou

I’ve no idea what North Americans do to make their “chocolate” so vile, but at least they’re consistent about it.

I stole this from Reddit…

Hershey’s developed a process that allowed them to use less-than-fresh milk. It’s a trade secret what the process is, but it resulted in butyric acid being created, which gave Hershey’s its (unique at the time) flavour.

The popularity of Hershey’s led to other manufacturers trying to copy the flavour. They didn’t have access to the process that Hershey’s used, but they did know that butyric acid was created as a result, which led to the flavour – and so they started adding it as an ingredient.

Butyric acid is the thing that makes parmesan cheese smell the way it does. Oh yes, and it’s also responsible for the smell and taste of vomit.

DrJ

I’m a sucker for a Dajm bar,

Oh yes, good call! If we’re going Scandi then also a mention for Marabou liquorice milk chocolate bars. Yum!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Bounties of any kind are amazing.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Mc Vities Gold Bars have a beautiful vomity note. Regardless, (or because of!? 😳) I’ll still virtually inhale an 8-pack.

tsr2
    Free Member

Best: Double Decker

Worst: Picnic

Sandwich

The whole thing gone in the blink of an eye.

You’re not wrong @beamers. In Germany the nut one was available as a 4 bar-sized single slab. I hoped that the Marzipan was also available in that size but it was not to be. There’s a 250g praline version available though.

Failing that the Aldi fruit & nut or whole nut are both very nice.

These are also acceptably more-ish.

Anything made by Cadbury’s or Nestle tends to be a disappointment nowadays.

ChrisL

perchypanther Free Member
    You know what that stuff in between the wafers of a Kit- Kat is?

It’s more, ground up Kit-Kats. The ones that come off the production line that are damaged or imperfect get mulched up and that’s what that brown stuff is.

Long ago, my mum worked for Terrys. She hasn’t eaten any of their chocolate since. Apparently the chocolate used in their selection boxes was called “sweepings”, because it was litterally what got swept up off the floor around their chocolate machines.

Cougar

Which kinda begs the question….When they first made Kit-Kats, where did they get the kit-kats from to make the filling?

Ooh, I know this.

The logic bomb here is that the filling isn’t solely crushed bars. They still make the stuff from scratch with sugar and cocoa and marrowbone jelly or whatever, it’s just that they recycle damaged product back into the process as well. I don’t know without googling what sort of percentage we’re talking but I’d imagine it’s relatively low.

Cougar

Apparently the chocolate used in their selection boxes was called “sweepings”, because it was litterally what got swept up off the floor around their chocolate machines.

That has “urban myth” written all over it.

hot_fiat

Best: M&S’s own brand Belgian bars. It’s like Neuhaus chocolate, but not as expensive as crack

Worst: Aero. Not only are they made by Dr Evil’s omnipresent evil corp, but the chocolate’s A) filled with air and B) total cr@p

derek_starship
    Free Member

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Another fan of Bountys, red one is my fave.

And Jameson’s Raspberry Ruffles.

Worst = Maltesers.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Mc Vities Gold Bars have a beautiful vomity note. Regardless, (or because of!? 😳) I’ll still virtually inhale an 8-pack.

Oh snap, godly food. Biscuit though.

Glenn, two things.

Malteasers are amazeballs but also…. Not a bar… Unless its all melted together*

*Best thing you can find in a car is the melted bag that you left to cool weeks ago.

daviek

Not sure why but I really like a raisin and biscuit yorkie but not keen on a bog standard one not sure if the chocolate itself is different. If it’s just chocolate with nothing added I’ll have a Galaxy please

Agree with the Hershey chocolate being vile though.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Yorkies aren’t suitable for men women or children.

sirromj

Can’t believe no love for Topic bars yet. I was very close to choosing a Topic bar over a Star bar in fact I could still change my mind. They = first place for me.

Agreed…. but not the new Lemon ones. They are a bit shonky

Have to admit I do like a Turkish Delight every now and again, but lemon WTF!?!?

Cougar

Derek, that’s only over some of it. (-:

Worst = Maltesers.

Weirdo. Maltesers are so good I created a YouTube video about them.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I like that Tony s crazy paving. It really appeals to me and not had the pleasure yet.

I’m a chocolate whore so my opinion clearly carries more weight than everyone else’s.

Best: cadburys whole nut
    Worst: Yorkie bar, surely

fingerbang
    Free Member

This was da bomb when I was a kid. The gold standard:

toby1

Can’t believe no love for Topic bars yet.

They’ve got so small they are basically a funsize these days.

Currently top: Lindt sea salt dark (usually happy with a snickers, or once upon a time a star bar, they are inferior these days).
    Worst: hmm, I’ll eat most chocolate, (ignoring Hersheys as it’s not even in the right food group) perhaps some of the new ‘Cadbury’s Dairy Milk’ concoctions that shouldn’t exist?

ChrisL

Cougar Full Member
    That has “urban myth” written all over it.

Well, I definitely remember my mum refusing to eat Terrys chocolate when I was a kid. I haven’t checked with here lately but I imagine her policy remains the same. I have only my parents’ word that she worked for Terrys but I have no reason to doubt them on it.

As for “sweepings”, that could be exaggerated, or it could be that hygiene regulations were poor and even more poorly enforced in the late ’60s that it is true or close to true. At the very least I expect that the chocolate used to coat selection box chocolates is or was some of the lowest quality chocolate they used. After all for those the main point is the filling, not the chocolate.

In the early ’90s I got a job in the meat department of my local supermarket. After my first day on the job I got home and asked my parents never to buy any meat from that shop again. There was nothing as bad as selling meat that had been off the floor, but I suspect that many people who work where food is prepared have similar “seeing how the sausage gets made” moments.

allanoleary
    Free Member

Best hasn’t been available for years…. the old coconut boosts. I was hooked on them as a kid.

Worst is Terry’s milk chocolate orange. Orange should only ever be mixed with dark chocolate. Same goes for mint.

slowoldman

Sandwich that’s the stuff I was talking about. The Ritter is OK if you can’t get proper marzipan – which Niederegger definitely is. Quite pricey though.

Kuco

Cadbury Dairy Milk – I just like plain boring chocolate.
    Mars Bar – way too sweet and sickly for me.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I’m not sure as I’d want to eat chocolate that has “colon” in its name…

I have form – 2nd favourite is dark choc and orange from Lidl. Goes under the name of

razorrazoo

My favourite bar changes fairly regularly, but one thing’s for certain (and especially for bars with some sort of caramel/soft centre such as a Mars) eating directly from a nice cold fridge is a game changer.

Turkish Delight can go and do one.

johnners
    Free Member

Best is Cadbury’s Fuse, or without a time machine a Snickers,

Worst by a country mile is Fry’s Turkish Delight if that even counts as a chocolate bar. If it doesn’t count, Fry’s Chocolate Cream is an abomination that’s distinctly lacking in both chocolate and creaminess. It’s a sickening dollop of sugar coated in dark plastic.

singletrackmind

Peanut chunky kit kat. Fantastic texture and flavour
    Worst.. Finger of fudge. No it isnt enough of anything. Chocolate or fudge.

lunge

Keeping it mainstream:
    Best – Whispa Gold, Kit-Kat Chunky and the humble Giant Button made the top 3.
    Worst – Crunchie, Bountie

Hershey’s is muck, but that’s American so doesn’t count as chocolate.

bjhedley

Best: a difficult choice, but either a Double Decker, Lion or Yorkie

Worst: Bounty. Coconut and chocolate? Just no.

dyna-ti

Dairymilk
    anything containing a wafer.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Your best & worst chocolate bar….’ is closed to new replies.