Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • Your best comfort food recipes. Lets have 'em then….
  • jfletch
    Free Member

You are all doing it wrong.

Bunnyhop

Oooooh can’t wait to try out Malvern Rider’s corned beef and baked potato recipe.
    So simple!

duntstick
    Free Member

Roast jacket potatoes, halved and hollowed out

contents then mixed with

corned beef and grated cheese.

put back in and grilled, with a bit more cheese.

Nice.

isto
    Free Member

Tried this recipe and am now hooked. Cheap and cheerful (not sure why the mash is called tragedy at all) and spicy:

Firecracker sausages with Tragedy Mash

crankboy
    Free Member

ultimate macaroni cheese use gruyere as the cheese and at least 50% of the milk replaced with cream and top with a mix of breadcrumbs parmesan and gruyere before baking till golden.

ultimate comfort food mashed potatoes with roasted garlic and parmesan mixed in, served with smoked Haddock baked in foil with butter and black pepper. Buttery fish juice from the foil poured over as a sauce.

arrpee
    Free Member

I remember what Nigel Slater wrote about a really good chicken noodle soup -it’s got it all: deeply savoury (the broth), satisfying (the chicken and noodles) and refreshing (the lime and herbs).

Worth making your own stock for -I chuck in a couple of carcasses, 4 onions, 4 celery stalks, 4 carrots, a couple of bay leaves and about a dozen whole peppercorns. Cover and simmer very low for a squillion years then strain.

For the soup, gently fry a few spring onions, garlic, chili and ginger with about a half teaspoon of 5 spice powder.

Add the stock, heat and season to taste with soy and lime juice.

Add your noodles and cook according to packet instructions, maybe adding a spot of veg (e.g. sugarsnap peas) for the last minute if you fancy.

Add a couple of handfuls of left over roast chicken, ideally with plenty of leg meat.

Finish with chopped mint and a bit of coriander (or leave the latter out if you’re some sort of ****).

arrpee
    Free Member

Oh, and another vote for chackchouka.

z1ppy

Ahh the uneducated amongst you who think cake & mass produced food is comfort food, need to step back a moment and try some of the suggestions above. Not seen anything that can’t be attempted and proper comfort food doesn’t take a chef’s skillz to get bloody good.

grum – Member
    Anyone got an ‘ultimate’ macaroni cheese recipe?

The one were been using by Anna Del Conte doesn’t involve extra cream as above, more taking a good white sauce (using OO flour) and then cooking it in a Bain-marie for 30 minutes before adding the cheese. Seems pretty darn good.

Personally I will be making Potato and Smoked Mackerel Dauphinoise tonight, sounds bloody lovely

binners

z1ppy – I’ve opted for your Chorizo, pork-belly and chickpea casserole, which will be going in the slow cooker tomorrow morning, to sample in the evening.

And as stated earlier, the Potato and Smoked Mackerel Dauphinoise doesn’t suffer for the addition of cheese either, a nice strong cheddar, and a selection of different fish (salmon and trout work well in there too), Get the lot in! Its bloody lovely! Feel those arteries hardening! 😀

hammyuk
    Free Member

will be doing the Sweet Potato chilli tomorrow 🙂

BillMC

Cassoulet. French or Spanish style, loads of recipes online.

annebr
    Free Member

I will be trying the mackerel dolphin-nosed potatoes tomorrow too.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Unwrap. Eat.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Grate a small sweet potato and a large courgette fry with chorizo and onions and garlic until soft. Sppon in an oven proof dish crack enough eggs to cover and sprinkle some fi ely chopped chorizo on top with some black pepper. Bake for 15m on 180 or until you are happy with egg.

portlyone

😉

portlyone

Toad-in-the-hole has to be right up there in the comfort zone.

lemonysam
    Free Member
    corroded
    Free Member

This is my peposo recipe. It’s very simple.

blade (chuck) steak, in chunks, as much as you think you and your companions can eat, then a bit more. You could also use beef shin – you’re looking for the connective tissue that goes all gelatinous.
    a head of garlic, yes, all of it.
    lots and lots of black pepper, just roughly crush a couple of tablespoons of pepper corns. I reckon you could leave them whole and it might be mellower but I’ve not tried that yet.
    a bottle of wine, preferably Chianti, you might need some more, anyway, chuck in at least a bottle.

Cook low and slow for around four hours – in STW-style I prefer an Aga and a Le Creuset casserole dish. But it’s got to be gentle. It’s done when you’ve got a pan-full of peppery, garlicky, beefy goodness. No tomatoes, no onions. Just meat, wine, pepper and garlic. Maybe some salt.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Big thick sliced of cheese on toast, adorned with some Hendersons relish prior to grilling.

And I’m not even from Yaaaaarkshire.

grum
    Free Member

Cheers for the macaroni cheese tips.

Smoked mackerel dauphs in the oven – can’t wait.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Food is fuel, that’s why i can still get in the same size jeans i did 30 years ago.
    Yes, i am a miserable fecker.

grum
    Free Member

Holy shit those dauphs were good. Bloody rich though!

mefty
    Free Member

If making macaroni cheese, I generally use half stock half milk in the base white sauce, obviously mustard (english mustard powder if adding ham, dijon otherwise) is critical, and a pinch of cayenne pepper adds a touch of heat.

z1ppy

Rich isn’t the word, bloody lovely. Managed a 3rd, though the g/f was nibbling on the last third (lunch for me tomorrow!), & asking when we can have it again

garage-dweller

15 minute pulse, chilli and chorizo soup. Serves one greedy gadage dweller or two normal people with a bit more stock and puree.

Drain a can of mixed pulses and pop in a saucepan with stock (for greedy gd portion about 3-400mm) and get simmering
    To this add
    1 tsp chilli flake (if you do not wish to clear out your sinuses, pores and bowel a little less is also fine)
    1 tbsp of tomato puree
    Oregano and or cumin if desired
    Fry up some diced chorizo so it goes a little crispy and add to soup mix just before serving.

Can be creamified with a dollop of creme fraiche if desired.

This is not an elegant or sophisticated effort but for robust flavours and a very filling warm meal after a ride or late night out it does the trick and if you simmer in the soup instead of frying the chorizo it cooks in pretty much exactly the time taken to put your bike away and shower.

chewkw
    Free Member

Healthy steam chicken.

1. Chicken with or without skin cut into few big/small pieces.
    2. Rub salt to chicken pieces.
    3. Steam for 30mins or more depending on size of chicken – make sure no blood coming out when poke and the meat is not pink.

Eat with rice and use soy sauce/ketchup/oriental sauce/sweet chilli sauce etc for additional taste.

Done.

binners

You used the word ‘healthy’ in the title, and its steamed chicken. No mention of mounds of melted cheese, cream or loads of chilli’s

You need to have a good think about what it is you’ve done. I opted for Delias corned beef hash last night, and the fried egg for the top was a double yoker. Result 😀

Z1ppy’s Chorizo pork-belly and chickpea casserole recipe went in the slow cooker about an hour ago, ready for this evening. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm comfort food

sic_nick

I started corning my own beef so I can make corned beef hash next week and salt beef sandwiches.

z1ppy

mmmmmmMMMMM left over Smoked Mackerel Dauphinoise with a can of Heinz beans, just gorgeous

binners

That really is the lunch of champions!!! I’m going to have to do Smoked Mackerel Dauphinoise again soon. Its bloody gorgeous!!

sic_nick – what does corning your own beef involve? Apart from being a great euphemism, obviously? 😉

Got any pointers? I might well give that a go, as part of the search for the perfect corned beef hash

z1ppy

It was excellent, hope your tea turns out as good (never made it in a slow cooker)…. not sure I can eat any of the hummingbird cake I have left (needs eating)

In the dog house over this one.. the g/f doesn’t like pineapple but I had to make it anyway.

Anyway another quick recipe:

Chicken, leek, bacon and cider hotpot

1tbsp Olive oil
    1.3Kg or 8 chicken thighs
    150g lardons
    1 onion (finely chopped)
    1 leek (sliced thickly)
    230ml cider
    500ml hot chicken stock
    4 tbsp plain flour
    1 red apple cored and diced
    600g baby potatoes (quartered)
    Leaf parsley (chopped)
    100ml creme fraiche

1) In a heatproof casserole dish, heat the oil and brown offthe chicken (skin should be crispy) for 3/4 minutes, turn and cook for 2 more minutes (remove from pan)
    2) Cook the bacon lardons till crisp (remove from pan)
    3) Stir leek and onion in oil for 5 minutes till tender, stir in the flour & cook for another minutes. Add the cider and hot chicken stock
    3) Bring to the simmer and cook for 3 minutes, then add the diced apple, potatoes, half the parsley, bacon and chicken. Add seasoning & cook on a medium heat for 30 minutes
    4) Stir in the creme fraiche and heat through for 1 minute, serve and garnish with the rest of the parsley

joolsburger
    Free Member

What is heavy cream same as double?

z1ppy

whipping or double apparently

mogrim

Z1ppy’s Chorizo pork-belly and chickpea casserole recipe went in the slow cooker about an hour ago, ready for this evening. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm comfort food

In a similar vein, “Cocido Madrileño” – there’s a recipe here, which is pretty close to how I make it. The only thing that’s wrong (and I think it’s an editorial mistake) is that they don’t mention when to add the chorizo and morcilla – you need to put them in at the same time as the potatoes about 30-40 minutes before the end.

chewkw
    Free Member

binners – Member

You used the word ‘healthy’ in the title, and its steamed chicken. No mention of mounds of melted cheese, cream or loads of chilli’s

😆 It’s supposed to be very easy and tasty if you get good free range chicken. You will know what real chicken taste like. Nothing to add to the flavour. I rather like lazy cooking me … :mrgreen:

z1ppy

In a similar vein, “Cocido Madrileño”

Dear god my uncle (a vegetarian) who now lives in Spain says they like meat, he’s not wrong going by that recipe. Excellent!

TheFlyingOx

Chicken Dopiaza is my go-to recipe. Both the cooking and the eating sorts me right out.

You will need:
    – 4 chicken breasts, diced to 1″
    – juice of 1 lemon
    – 2 or 3 large onions, diced
    – cloves of garlic as per your preference (I use 5), squished & roughly chopped
    – chunk of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
    – a glug of fresh/Greek yoghurt
    – 4 or 5 cardamom pods, better if they’re fresh rather than dried
    – 4 or 5 cloves
    – cinammon stick
    – chilli powder/flakes to taste
    – 1 tsp black peppercorns
    – 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
    – tomato concentrate
    – 150mL warm water
    – 1 tsp sugar
    – 10 shallots, halved
    – 1 tsp garam masala
    – fresh coriander
    – 5 or 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered

1. Put the diced chicked in a bowl with the lemon juice, mix it all up and stick in the fridge to soak
    2. Fry the chopped onions, garlic and ginger until soft, then leave to cool slightly. Transfer to a food blender, add the yoghurt and blend to a puree
    3. heat some oil in a pan until almost smoking, then add the cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and pepper and fry for 30 seconds, then add the previously pureed stuff and cook for 5 minutes
    4. Add turmeric, chillis and coriander and cook for another 2 minutes
    5. mix the passata with the water, add to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the chicken. Cook until the chicken changes colour, then add a pinch of salt and the sugar. Reduce to low heat, put a lid on the pan and simmer for ~10 minutes. Then remove the lid and simmer until the consistency is to your liking
    6. When you’re about 5 minutes from the curry being done, fry the shallots in a small pan until just caramelised, then add the garam masala and cook for another 30 seconds. Add to the curry, then just before serving stir in the tomato and fresh coriander.

Tonight though, I’m doing Beef Wellington with madeira and chicken liver parfait duxelle.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Let’s try that again without the apparently unacceptable picture.

Slab of Green & Black’s Milk chocolate with Butterscotch.

Buy. Unwrap. Eat.

Bowl of whipped cream dip optional….

Sandwich

I’m partial to porridge made with evaporated milk (dilute milk and soak meal overnight) with added cream and syrup at this time of the year. All that cholesterol fighting against the oats.

binners

Z1ppy – that was outstanding! Bloody gorgeous! Perfect slow cooker recipe! Loving the spuds and parsnips too!

Think I’ll have to give your chicken in cider a go this week too.

Thanks for that 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Your best comfort food recipes. Lets have 'em then….’ is closed to new replies.