Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Young People
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

they were still lazier than the over 65s, who very likely had to make more of an effort to get up and vote, considering their age and the state of physical fitness than older people seem to let themselves get into.

😯

truth hurts…

Department of Health figures show that only 17% of men and 13% of women over the age of 65 are sufficiently active. Other research shows that 44% of adults over the age of 70 years take a 20-minute walk less than once a year – or never.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/jun/11/exercise-over-65

poltheball
    Free Member

Loads of kids get decent degrees, loads grt work experience and placements (like me). Lots can barely afford the former, let alone the latter.

Fair enough, albeit I’m in the land of the haggis where a degree is free. See also the point about my placements being paired with scholarships – these cover my costs. It’s definitely achievable!

I thought the post was a classic example of what I see often, criticising other colleagues whilst quoting their degree all without having any awareness of ones own faults. I do see that a lot amongst younger workers.

The point of the post was not to highlight my faults (of which you’ll be glad to know there are many); it was to highlight the fact that the generalisations being made about us “millennials” in this thread describe traits and characteristics found across a huge range of age groups and are not unique to any one specific group of people. They do describe some millennials, and they do not describe others. See shoe size comment in my earlier post.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Maybe one problem is that so many people are going to Uni and getting high grades.

Often people with first class degrees have a too high regard for their abilities and no humility – and a degree isn’t much of an expertise level, or even a masters.

A boss of mine used to try and recruit at the 2:2 level for pretty much that reason, although that we when less people went to ‘proper’ Unis and Polytechnics were still around. He reckoned they had more humility and would try harder to prove themselves.

I work in software and, to be honest, academic qualification in a computing subject can mean very little towards defining someones aptitude, particularly to code.

We have a new, young, member on the team and he hasn’t a degree, he did some sort of apprenticeship scheme in software, and he is really good.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Fair enough, albeit I’m in the land of the haggis where a degree is free.

No it’s paid for/subsidised by lots of people who don’t go/can’t go to Uni. Great that isn’t it?!?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

TBH….

He just sounds like a bit of an awkward feker playing the system.

Ignore him, if you can.

project
    Free Member

Sometimes i wonder if some on here ever experience life as a young person, or if they lived on some weird world, they seem to live in a cut and paste world, where others actions and emotions are repeated as some sort of mantra.

Back to YP, theyre just a more mature and sometimes more annoying copy of people we where or knew at that age,with annoying traits, laziness, crrepiness or just sloggers.

I meet a lot of young people and find 90% of them great to chat to , intresting and with skills i still dont have, theyre usually technically advanced, more outgoing, more inteligent and able to ask awkward questions easier tham we did, some have a disrespect for being told to do something, and have no understanding of monetry values, running up huge debts.

But saying that there also seems to be an very small undercurrent of serious law breakers, who do terrible things,either for attention or because they dont understand right and wrong.

But remember these YP will be funding our pensions and health care in a future, and hopefully fighting our wars.

Drac

truth hurts…

Not doing 20 mins exercise is not the same as not being mobile enough to go to the shops, GP or ballot.

allthepies
    Free Member

I get quite a few CVs to review. Academic qualifications come quite low on the things I deem important. Experience in the tech we’re interested in is king. If the candidate presents well at the initial tech interview then they progress to the next level.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I always ask for the CVs that Human Remains have rejected. Always the best candidates in that pile

One of the challenges in advising young people is how to prepare for Human Remain interviews first and then adapt to the proper ones afterwards

poltheball
    Free Member

No it’s paid for/subsidised by lots of people who don’t go/can’t go to Uni. Great that isn’t it?!?

Yep, I’ll become one of those people once I graduate, and pay it forward for the next generation. I’m already giving what little I can through volunteering and running STEM outreach activities off my own bat, but no doubt you’ll find a way to see that in a negative way too.

Honestly you lot, you’re not happy if I have the money to pay for it via parents, you’re not happy if I work my backside off to gain scholarships that mean I can afford it and you’re not happy if I’m benefitting from a national education system that offers education to those who couldn’t otherwise afford it – maybe my generation is not the problem here..!

He just sounds like a bit of an awkward feker playing the system.

See above. I’d love for you to explain precisely in what way I’m playing the system.. 😆

Some of you folks need to get a grip, seriously.. 🙄

Edukator
    Free Member

you’re not happy if I’m benefitting from a national education system that offers education to those who couldn’t otherwise afford it –

I’m very happy when able motivated students who couldn’t otherwise afford it get state funded education.

km79
    Free Member

Yes, free education is great, as is free healthcare and social security.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

None is free – you mean when others pay for (most) of it. What’s not to like?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

See above. I’d love for you to explain precisely in what way I’m playing the system..

Having no experience of your situation, how can I?

I think you may have completely missed the point of my post. See the OP’s 1st post for context..

As a manager I can tell you without any doubt that has nothing to do with his age.

Yep, it’s not confined to age, sex or race.

There are always those who have the ability to be difficult.

This is something that also works 2 ways..

poltheball
    Free Member

Having no experience of your situation, how can I?

I think you may have completely missed the point of my post. See the OP’s 1st post for context..

Apologies, I assumed you were weighing in on the side discussion I was having. My bad!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

truth hurts…

Not doing 20 mins exercise is not the same as not being mobile enough to go to the shops, GP or ballot.

You’ve not really read the article, have you ?

“Inactivity is life-limiting”, says Laventure.

He draws an image of concentric circles around an armchair, a kind of comfort zone. “The less we do, the more function we lose”, he explains. “So at 65, you might be comfortable going down the road to the shops, getting in the car, visiting friends. At 75, you might be comfortable going to the kitchen but not up the stairs or down the street. At 85, it’s difficult to get out of the armchair at all … The circles get smaller and smaller as you become less mobile, have less social contact, an increased loss of independence and an increased risk of disease … It’s a downward spiral.”

so that implies that it would have taken a lot more effort and commitment for the older voters to get up and vote, and yet the percentages went up as they got older – so the ones with the most experience of life and B.S.ing politicians felt that leaving the EU was pretty important.

Drac

I did and the figures ties in pretty much with 90% voted as only a small percentage are inactive enough not to get to shops, your 17% and 13% pretty much is close to that 90% figure.

olddog

I thought the OP has just got an arse working for him who coincidentally is young. See that attitude in every generation at work.

Where I work pretty much everyone is professional or in training. All the millennials not only have to hold down a full time job but also study for post grad or professional qualifications. The rest of us need to do continuous development. I just see a lot of hard work and very little complaining, maybe the fact it is hard filters out the whiners of every generation!

I find the younger people in the office often add new perspectives, especially technical stuff and I am happy to get their views and take advice. Also they have developed all our in-house and in team social media and comms stuff which really helps build coherence. We pay well, expect good quality and generally get good results. On the other hand the head of my profession takes no crap, if we provide all the training, development, progressive working environment and you take the p@ss then it’s bye bye.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    None is free – you mean when others pay for (most) of it. What’s not to like?

Top pedantry…
    Paying for education is something that the nation benefits from, it’s called an investment. It also means that we have some social mobility where the right people get a chance rather than the rich.

Some interesting perspectives from people, if you wrote up a profile of 10 colleagues I’m sure plenty would let preconceptions mis label the age range, I’ve worked with plenty of entitled, lazy, awkward people age wasn’t a factor.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Apologies, I assumed you were weighing in on the side discussion I was having. My bad!

No worries.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Paying for education is something that the nation benefits from, it’s called an investment. It also means that we have some social mobility where the right people get a chance rather than the rich.

In theory perhaps. In practice it means the middle and upper classes receiving subsidies to educate their kids. If you are happy with that, fine. Go look at the records in Scotland now if you are in any doubt about educational mobility

But I am grateful that my v heavily subsidised Uni education is seen as an investment and a benefit to all 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Exceptions to every rule thm. Perhaps a system where the fees are based on income would work though rich kids pay poor kids do not.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes and we know, or should do, what means testing dioes to the take up of “benefits” (in the widest sense)

If in doubt ask why (here in U.K.) we have universal benefits. There is a reason

The exception lies in your original post not mine! Rightly or wrongly

BigJohn

OP: one of you is right.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Exceptions to every rule thm. Perhaps a system where the fees are based on income would work though rich kids pay poor kids do not.

Like the means tested full grant I received between 90-93?

Loans came in 93, so began the slippery slope back to the less well off being priced out of education, so glad I’m not 18 now, a degree would be out of the question.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

If I was 10 years younger and English I’d not be going to university. No danger I’d be signing up for that level of debt.

I’m Scottish, and went to uni 11 years ago (11! how did that happen!?) so it was essentially free. As a consequence of this I now earn more than I would have been statistically likely to do had I not gone to uni, thus I pay more tax. Over the course of my lifetime I’ll pay far, far more in extra tax than my education would have cost the taxpayer, so I’d say for both me and for the country as a whole that’s a win.

poolman
    Free Member

Yes fair point re free education. Although my professional tenants acted like spoilt kids, i got a full grant for my education, have never paid more than 1% stamp duty on property purchaes whereas now it would be 5%, and have some final pension pension. That 1% was on low pricess too, in fact i never really thought about stamp duty whereas now its a major cost.

manlikegregonabike
    Free Member

I’m ‘gonna’ speak on the behalf of a 16 year old.
    (I know i’m kind of too young for Single Tracks but I needed bike parts and help with parts)

So now I already sound like a privileged twot with a bike who lives in Buckinghamshire and goes to a Grammar school. So I live in planet privileged to be brutally honest.

Now my parents were ‘odd’ and we never had a TV or consoles so I have grown up being more grateful of tech but now with a phone and laptop I can now understand how this arrogance has sprung up with my generation. With social media it’s all ME ME ME ME ME and not anyone else supporting friends. Also now with the internet we can search stuff up on the fly and process tons of data now which has resulted in kids being ‘lawyers’ knowing the law and questioning who owns land and being entitled to free water like it’s some god given wright (like people expressing free speech). This has resulted in a lack of social skills and respect. I feel I have spotted a lot of immaturity following my GCSE’s and feel mature now I have taken them. I was immature before.

To be honest I am not scared of the future as I am completely oblivious to reality. I have gone in to my dads work but not done any work experience. I do weekend work so that helps I guess but as a teenager I still run off my parents but saved up for my bike and other goodies.

Now I feel mature I have started to see how some cohorts are entitled tw*ts and see how others are now cooling down and now just enjoying life and being part of the ‘system’. My out look is to take it easy and not piss people off but this is my perspective.

BTW I do hang out with ‘normal’ non grammar people as well and if you want to see a bunch of entitled teens/millennials take a look at Air Cadets. It is painful.

TBH I might as well be a snowflake for writing this.
    Please give me the benefit of the doubt and I am not perfect these are my observations. We aren’t all snowflakes and they just stick out like a sour thumb.

dazh

You don’t sound like a ‘snowflake’ (awful phrase BTW!). It’s got nothing to do with what school you go to or your background, but how you behave. There’s a huge difference between being lucky and entitled. Lucky people realise it, entitled people think they deserve it. The subject of the OP is definitely the latter.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The subject of the OP is definitely the latter.

Have you met him?

dazh

Have you met him?

Have you read the OP? 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😳

e2-e4

😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

TBH I might as well be a snowflake for writing this.

No. Because you are self aware and have an internal dialogue. You also observe the bigger picture around you.
    Most people are myopic.

Edukator
    Free Member

This has resulted in a lack of social skills and respect.

Social skills not based on fear because they are well informed and thus confident, and they know that respect is just the old codgers word for fear, so don’t expect them to lick your boots.

Old people used to have the knowledge and experience. Now they just have the experience and some redundant knowledge, but experience of a world that is changing so fast they can’t/don’t/won’t keep up.

The number of people aged 40+ on this forum who post nonsense/lies/false information in an age where anyone can check anything in seconds I find staggering. That politicians can do the same and the old idiots swallow it up I find sad. Heads in sand and the Daily Mail as their main source of information.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The number of people aged 40+ on this forum who post nonsense/lies/false information in an age where anyone can check anything in seconds I find staggering.

Don’t be so hard on yourself ed 😉

Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Young People’ is closed to new replies.