Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Young look on old person
  • sirromj

looked-down-upon-styles: not so much giving up as doing it because you can because it doesn’t matter what other people think of you because you’ve spent your whole life percieving that as negative anyway. or maybe you got to a point where just can’t see the wood for the trees as far as fashion goes, and sling whatever your mood tells you to wear on any given day. or both. whatever. loner.

Coyote
    Free Member

Always amuses me when the prescriptive dressers, (no denim after 30, no skate shoes after 25 etc.) chip in. I’m rattling towards 50 faster than I’d like and still wear the same type of stuff I wore in my late 20s. Age is a number, nothing more.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Im wearing a grey jacket with light brown trousers and consider this rebellious.

My younger self would like to know what went wrong.

DrJ

I often wonder exactly the opposite. At what point do people ‘give up’ and think it’s ok to wear […] farahs […]

Just as an aside, there’s a rather trendy-looking Farah shop near Seven Dials in that there trendy Laandan.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’m closer to 50 than 40, still have the long hair I had in my yoof (OK, maybe not all the hair is left) and have held down a customer facing career in IT for the past 20 odd years – some even with a couple of High Street Banks. One of my friends is a senior accountant and has enough facial metal to scare airport security. In fact amongst my circle of oddball friends, they all pretty much hold down good jobs based on their ability rather than their choice of clothes or hairstyle.

the crazy world of I.T. do you all cosplay/warhammer/model railway at weekends? 🙄

perchypanther
    Free Member

do you all cosplay/warhammer/model railway at weekends?

Big Hitters on the Bike Jousting scene?

allan23
    Free Member

the crazy world of I.T. do you all cosplay/warhammer/model railway at weekends?

Why assume all my friends work in IT?

Why is it “crazy” to do the things you mention? Not aware that my friends do any of those things, but I wouldn’t care if they did.

BillMC

I dress conservatively (but expensively) at work as I like the anonymity it brings, I don’t feel the need to draw attention to my appearance to make a point. Why expensively? I have a love of English shoes and cheap clothes make you look very slobby when you’re a rising 60, but fine for a rising 6. Incidentally, the shoes last forever and the styles don’t change so a good economy too.

medders
    Free Member

If I decided to grow my hair I would be taken into a room at work and told directly it is not appropriate and to cut it. Sad but true. Why should it matter? But to some it does.

Even my current well trimmed beard has elicited a number of disparaging remarks. But beard growth in professional offices is definitely on the up – seems it is a minor act of rebellion.

I am hankering for a bit of mid-life rebellion myself and have been considering a tattoo (my first) for ages. I fear I would regret it so have chickened out. It does feel a bit pathetic too.

MrSmith – nothing wrong with a bit of warhammer btw! Granted allan23’s cosplay is borderline weird.

allan23
    Free Member

MrSmith – nothing wrong with a bit of warhammer btw! Granted allan23’s cosplay is borderline weird.

Be even weirder to me seeing as I’ve never done it 🙂

allthegear
    Free Member

If you’e being told you’re hair affects your job, and your job isn’t related to your hair, you’re in the wrong job!

Here’s mine, just after presenting at an international conference in Prague. I don’t remember anyone suggesting my talk was rubbish because of the hair…

Think I was 43 in this picture.

Rachel

amedias
    Free Member

If I decided to grow my hair I would be taken into a room at work and told directly it is not appropriate and to cut it. Sad but true.

Well, unless hair styles are specified in your contract/terms of employment then that’d be a case of jog on, and if it is specified, you agreed to it, which is even more sad 🙁

If you’e being told you’re hair affects your job, and your job isn’t related to your hair, you’re in the wrong job!

^ this

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Well, unless hair styles are specified in your contract/terms of employment then that’d be a case of jog on, and if it is specified, you agreed to it, which is even more sad

Most contracts will either explicitly state it, or refer you to the employee handbook where there’s usually some catch all statement like

“employees must maintain a standard of dress, personal appearance, grooming and hygiene appropriate to their job”. You could probably argue it, but in reality that means wear a suit and look average for the office.

Nico
    Free Member

I thought this thread was going to be about old people that have young faces, not some fashion whinge #importedjapanesejeans.

allthegear
    Free Member

Italian jeans, actually (Dainese)

Rachel 🙂

chubstr
    Free Member

I’ve been check shirts, t shirts and jeans all my life, with a skate shoe/t-shirt slant. Sometimes boots of some description. Anytime I’ve thought about “changing my look” it all seems too much like hard work.

As long as you’re happy and try to make an effort (ie: don’t smell) then it shouldn’t be an issue.

I couldn’t pull off spiky punk hair at 40 anymore than I could at 20. I just stick with short unfussy hair

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Young look on old person’ is closed to new replies.