Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • You thought MMR was bad – you want bad science? Look at this.
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

They really have lost it this time

Oddly enough, I was at uni (yes, really, an institute of learning) with a girl who recounted this story to me and point blank refused to eat anything that had been microwaved.

It would be quite funny if it wasn’t incredibly disturbing.

theflatboy
    Free Member

To be fair, it is quite funny. This:

What about the nurse in Canada that warmed up blood for a transfusion patient and accidentally killed him when the blood went in dead.

is pure Brass Eye. 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

Apparently that part might be true, but not for the reasons stated. If you over heat blood I imagine you’ll denature the cells. I don’t know what effect that would have but it would be the intended one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

I think you’ll need a Thatcher angle to get any traction with this thread today 😉

aracer
    Free Member

If you put Maggie in a microwave would she come back to life?

D0NK

28,000+ shares and it’s clocked up 10 in the minute or so I was having a quick look, social media at it’s best 🙂

hora
    Free Member

We’ve never owned a microwave. Use a cooker and stop being lazy.

wwaswas

Use a cooker and stop being lazy.

we tried but the babies bottles kept melting.

philconsequence
    Free Member

some people can’t afford a cooker hora.

big_scot_nanny

Did they water the plant, then microwave it?

Mark

Microwaves are more efficient. Use a microwave and stop wasting heat energy Hora

🙂

glenh
    Free Member

hora – Member
    We’ve never owned a microwave. Use a cooker and stop being lazy.

Why not just use the far quicker and far more energy efficient method?

gonefishin
    Free Member

A few years ago someone put that up on a notice board where I worked (and engineering company). I took it down, marked it out of ten like a school project and replaced it. It dissappeared completely soon after.

samuri
    Free Member

Why not just use the far quicker and far more energy efficient method?

Well for me it’s mainly because stuff cooked in a microwave is horrible.

nick1962
    Free Member

My lodger won’t use or even go near a microwave,mind you he is from Blackburn where electricity is still treated with suspicion 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well for me it’s mainly because stuff cooked in a microwave is horrible.

It doesn’t taste any different to stuff heated any other way.

But if by your statement you mean you can’t stand microwave meals, or indeed, ready meals in general, then I think you have a point.

D0NK

You can’t cook with microwaves just warm things up, but they certainly have their uses.

yunki
    Free Member

To be fair, it is quite funny. This:

What about the nurse in Canada that warmed up blood for a transfusion patient and accidentally killed him when the blood went in dead.
    is pure Brass Eye.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

you saying you’d happily eat microwaved sausages, or bacon? weirdo.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

You can’t cook with microwaves just warm things up, but they certainly have their uses.

I do my poppadoms in mine to save with all the hot oil.

zilog6128

There is a great debunk of this urban myth on snopes
    http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

geetee1972
    Free Member

you saying you’d happily eat microwaved sausages, or bacon? weirdo.

I’ve done that before sure, but it was a combi microwave that also grilled as well as microwaved (at the same time).

D0NK

I do my poppadoms in mine

seriously or are you trying to get us to blow up our kitchens?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

seriously or are you trying to get us to blow up our kitchens?

yeah, nuke a raw poppadom for about 40-45 seconds, nice and crispy, not fatty.

i’ve only had one fire, nothing serious (touch wood)

GrahamS

Uh oh – I use a microwave to boil the water for my coffee at work (no kettle in the kitchen)

No wonder I’m wilting – the microwave is clearly “corrupting the DNA” of the water… 🙄

glenh
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

This. Although it depends what you call cooking I suppose.

wwaswas

There’s a whole generation that grew up microwaving CD’s and eggs in their shells whilst drunk too. Interesting parties.

GrahamS

You can’t cook with microwaves just warm things up

😀

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Yep … do bacon in the micro… it’s alright as it goes

Not sure I’d do sausages

sbob
    Free Member

D0NK – Member

I cook in big batches to keep costs down and then freeze the leftovers to be microwaved at a later date.
    That is all I use it for though.

sbob
    Free Member

Ro5ey – Member

Yep … do bacon in the micro… it’s alright as it goes

Heretic! 👿

aracer
    Free Member

I also cook poppadoms in the microwave – by far the quickest, easiest and healthiest way.

You can’t cook with microwaves just warm things up

Is that in the same way you don’t cook an egg by immersing it in a pan of boiling water, just warm it up?

D0NK

heating things up
    cooking
    🙂

Is that in the same way you don’t cook an egg by immersing it in a pan of boiling water, just warm it up?

that would be a type of cooking called boiling, tried making a boiled egg* in a microwave? yes you can heat up raw food enough so as to be edible still doesn’t really count as cooking tho does it? You can stick your bike on a turbo trainer and pedal it for a few hours, you wouldn’t call it riding tho would you?

*yes I am aware you can get various contrivances that make microwave “omlettes” and “poached eggs”, not sure about boiled, I bet you a load of money they don’t bear much resemblance to the properly cooked version

samuri
    Free Member

It’s not so much the taste (although I’ll happily argue that point), it’s the texture. Microwaved food, and I’m excluding anything in a packet because yes, that shit is horrible, ends up being a bit leathery.

So non-packaged food like sausages, steak, potatoes, carrots etc… have to be cooked in the traditional way to get the best experience from the food.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

So mixing flour, sugar, butter, eggs and a bit of milk putting it in a buttered basin with jam in the bottom then microwaving it for a few mins to make a sponge pudding isnt cooking?

Wow learn something new every day on here.

I will admit its dangerous though – do you know how fat you can get having puddings available so quickly 😀

camo16
    Free Member

It’s not so much the taste (although I’ll happily argue that point), it’s the texture.

+1

Pie, particularly, should not venture near a microwave.

On the other hand, jacket potatoes benefit from a blast prior to oven insertion.

Tricky one this.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t cook in the microwave, just warm up or defrost.

My wife par-boils root veg and finishes them off in the oven for excellent roasted veg that aren’t too burnt but are all sweet and yummy.

The other thing that’s good in the microwave is sponge puddings. If you microwave them they come out just like they’ve been steamed, but it’s much quicker and easier.

philconsequence
    Free Member

non-packaged food like sausages, steak, potatoes, carrots etc… have to be cooked in the traditional way to get the best experience from the food.

heston bloominmental has made good money from being non-traditional in the kitchen 😉

i’ve worked in a cafe that used to microwave the sausages and bacon… funnily enough they were the best sellers at the time

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Heretic!

As the Mrs first put the bacon in the micro I felt the same…. But then the bacon and egg sandwich arrived seconds later and all was forgotten.

The Mmmm I fancy a bacon sandwich divided by the Mmmm I’m tasting the bacon sandwich is the all important time equation 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘You thought MMR was bad – you want bad science? Look at this.’ is closed to new replies.