Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • "You Stink"
  • smiththemainman
    Free Member

Walked through the door after a 2 hour pootle today to be greeted with ,”you stink you dirty git”, sadly I get this after any half hour plus ride, today I had on a 3 week old Merino base layer with a five ride max mid layer and a 4 ride old jacket and apparently i smell like sh@t , Am I alone or are there more smelly buggers out there? I envy all these people who commute!!

simondbarnes

I had on a 3 week old Merino base layer with a five ride max mid layer and a 4 ride old jacket and apparently i smell like sh@t

You’re meant to wash them 😉

wwaswas

Has any of the kit been washed since purchase?

smiththemainman
    Free Member

HaHa all kit removed and washed correctly.And I do not smell normally!! Supposed to be doing London Paris in May but its not fair on riders and locals if i`m this stinky!!

Murray

Halo wash generally sorts out the clothes. Lavender oil in the bath sorts out the body (seriously).

maccruiskeen

So do you stink? Are are you just being told you stink? Before you address issues of laundry and personal hygiene it might be worth while to check the person accusing you of being stinky doesn’t in fact just have a smelly top lip.

bruneep

Been said many times wash in Halo sports wash, clothes not you….

jimdubleyou

My wife has a very sensitive nose. She will often let me know that I stink before I notice it.

If I notice it, I know it’s bad 😳

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Cheers , must check Halo and her top lip is fine , once rubbed something on there pretending i was brushing something off and it was the closest i`ve been to divorce!!

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Halo ordered will report back in smell free January!! Cheers

munrobiker
    Free Member

Unless I have showered before a ride I can really stink. It’s only really emerged since I got less fit.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

munrobiker , always ride straight from the sack and i`m at an all time fitness low , gulp!!

hsiaolc
    Free Member

Most the time it is the clothes that smells and it can get really bad and the wearer always seems to be oblivious to it.

I find it is best to dissolve a milton tablet into 5L of cold water (like disinfecting baby bottle) and put your cloth in it and immerse in it for an hour or so.

Then put it in normal wash.

All the guys in my office does that now. But make sure after you wash you take your clothes out of the washing machine immediately and not let it sit in the machine and linger. If you do it will smell again.

You know which washing liquid smell the most amazing? Asos ones.

I’ve tried halo its fine but not sure if it cleans the smell.

edhornby

baselayers and undershorts need to be washed after every ride really, they take all the sweat

and yes, have a quick rinse before you ride to have clean skin next to clean baselayer

maxray
    Free Member

I had on a 3 week old Merino base layer

3weeks of wearing?! Merino isn’t magical you know

I smell like a tomcat has pissed all over me after a sweaty ride (all my rides are sweaty)

dirtydog
    Free Member

Available in most supermarkets, just add to wash.

bruneep

Halo ordered will report back in smell free January!! Cheers

Can be bought off the shelf in sainsburys

Dibbs
    Free Member

I hate wearing stinky kit, when I commute I take a second set of kit for the return journey. I always use Halo, Sainsburys is usually the cheapest.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Cheers everyone for the tips will try the Halo I’ve ordered along with a wash before riding

DickBarton

Bloody hell, no wonder they say you stink…you’d be reeking, I’d consider that a compliment if they just use stink!

Wash yer kit, ffs…

bigwill
    Free Member

couple of caps of white vinegar, not the chip shop stuff as its a bit smelly itself, in with the washing kills the bacteria that cause the smell low temperatures.

Edric64
    Free Member

My wife says I stink like a goat ,that`s after a 5k run never mind riding all day

scotroutes

My riding/running kit just goes in the wash with other laundry – no special “sports” wash required, just whatever regular detergent is being used (usually supermarket own-brand). Is this something that’s affected by water softness?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Is this something that’s affected by water softness?

Could be, it’s very soft water here (Quantocks).

smiththemainman
    Free Member

I think I need to explain that the above timescales were actual ownership not since last wash :-), so it’s not stale old kit ,all kit is removed as I walk through the door straight into washer with a persil sachet at 40 degrees!! I wear a merino baselayer two and three days on the bang snowboarding and never once has the lads or mrs moaned!!

mintimperial

A 40 degree wash with normal washing powder won’t kill off the bacteria that make you smell, but anything hotter knackers technical fabrics. I use that Dettol stuff in a delicates cycle at 30 degrees, about a capful in each wash at most, a bottle lasts me months and I don’t pong anymore.

pnik

Isnt it reasonable to be smelly after exercise, my family tell me i stink when i get in, the kit goes in the special cycling gear washing basket out the back and i go in the shower, smell gone.

paulwf

I find trimming armpit air help reduce the level of stink

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Didn’t appreciate that 40degree won’t kill bacteria so I will bare that in mind, a bit smelly is fine but not stinking like I do as for trimming that’s really going to be a last option!!

scotroutes

Didn’t appreciate that 40degree won’t kill bacteria

As I said, it works for me so I’d not take that as gospel.

greentricky
    Free Member

Also use the dettol stuff after getting bad saddle sores and the doctor telling me the stuff needs washing hot hot or dettol/ milton to kill the bacteria, fun times

Wally

Detol purchased and stuff washed today. It did smell better out of machine. Thanks Op.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

That`s interesting greentricky , I suffer big time saddle sores ,tried everything back to back days are a nightmare, this could be promising !!
    Hope it helps Wally 🙂

IHN

Add Napisan in the wash for the win, if it’s good enough to take the stink out of nappies, it’ll take the stink out of your riding kit…

freeagent
    Free Member

I generally just throw mine straight in the washing machine with general laundry after every ride, not had any issues with smelly kit.

sq225917
    Free Member

All my Hellies get smelly after a few rides and it never shifts for the life of them. RAB Techno merino ones don’t for some reason…

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘"You Stink"’ is closed to new replies.