Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You know you're slow when…….
  • RustySpanner

You meet up with a group of people, mostly non cyclists, who are half way through a 130 mile ride and STILL get your arse handed to you on a plate.

You?

Wrong forum.
    Soz.

06awjudd
    Free Member

If they’re half way through a 130 mile ride, they’re not going to be unfit no matter what they say!!!
    Loads of people always play the “I’m so unfit you’ll be so much faster than me card”.

Don’t worry, I’m sure it was the bike not the rider 😀 , probably worth getting a new one so you can keep up.

On a more serious note, the only way to prevent this from happening is to go out and ride…… lots!

Have fun.

scaredypants

Rusty, it’s coz you don’t slam your stem, innit !

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

I was overtaken by a Womble in VLM once—it wasn’t even the sporty one 🙁

RustySpanner

First against the wall when the revolution comes, Mr Pants, first against the wall.

boblo
    Free Member

Not biking, running. I pulled a quad in the first couple of miles of a half marathon one year despite training/stretching etc as usual. Knackers I thought, I’ll get round but slowly. I got overtaken in the finish straight by a bloke dressed as a 10′ banana! 🙁 I got round in just over 02:00:00 so the banana man was doing OK 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

was out for a bimble along the prom yesterday afternoon and got my arse handed to me by a small kid on a bmx.. 🙁

aw
    Free Member

That feeling when you turn up for a group road ride and the person on the MTB pulls away from your carbon framed road bike!

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

aw – I must admit I love doing that and will always give it a try given the opportunity! doing the IOW randonee on my MTB was brilliant fun for that exact reason! so many all carbon bikes to zip past!

Steve77
    Free Member

Getting overtaken by trail runners on long fireroad slogs is a good sign

yossarian
    Free Member

I was once overtaken on my commute by a builder riding a girls bike who was talking on the phone.

I attempted to right this wrong and was further embarrassed. My bike was shit that day and I wasn’t really trying at all. Honest. Probably had a puncture too.

vickypea
    Free Member

I was overtaken by an ostrich in a half marathon once!

binners

Steve. I regularly get overtaken by fell runners on the climbs. I can live with that. It’s when I’m outpaced by a couple of pensioners, out walking their dog, who add a cheery ‘that looks like hard work’ that it gets demoralising

funkrodent

Bristol half marathon. Years ago. Knackered, blistered and generally hacked off. Got to crowd-thronged final straight. As I approached the line they started to roar encouragement. My head went bacj and my stride lengthened. As I got to the finish I was overtaken by a 7 foot chicken who actually dipped to beat me. Stuck to cycling ever since..

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Pete – it was all that sugar you’d just loaded into them!
    If its any consolation Paul had a complete sense of humour failure after Skipton,bike hurled into the bushes with lots of shouting.
    I wasn’t helping by riding behind him singing “Ring of Fire” 🙂

MrSparkle

How did it go? Any fishing rod interfaces? ;0)

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Strangely enough no! Fishermen all pleasant.

I had two punctures in the first 5 miles (glass in tyre) followed by an explosive decompression of the same tyre as the bead started to come away from the tyre.
    Limped on to the first stop, all seemed OK after repair so thought id chance it, only to find a pressure bulge from the inner tube.
    Called up emergency support and changed the tyre and i was fine after.
    had a couple more during the day but it was after dark when another chap had a series of punctures and then another explosive decompression!
    fixing flats in the pitch black isn’t fun after 120 miles.

footflaps

It’s when fell runners overtake you on the downs that you know you’re not really quite as extreme as you thought you were!

martinxyz
    Free Member

An ostrich! That’ll be the one Rod Hull ran.

metalheart
    Free Member

I got overtaken on an uphill by a guy with only one arm once….

Kicked his ass on the descent though. That showed him… 😳

camo16
    Free Member

I’ll admit I engaged in a running battle with a suit on a commuter a while back, him on his Apollo, me on my roadie. I’m not sure he knew there was a battle on, but getting overtaken by him three days in a row really got.me down.

On the plus side, I’m fitter now, so he gets burnt whenever I see him. I don’t know if he’s even aware, but boy do I make him look foolish. 😯

qwerty
    Free Member

A “mate” got overtaken uphill on the SDW by a rider with only one leg.

maccruiskeen

Touring in the south of France we timed a day really badly and every time we passed through villages shops were closed, we ran out of food and drink and in the heat we were really struggling. We got to quite a steep road climb of 2 -miles of switchbacks and chugged up it in granny gears, head down hoping the top would just come to us if we didn’t look. Near the bottom we passed a little old woman taking a little dog for a walk. Near the top we stopped and as we tried to coax the last drops of water out of our bottles for the last hundred meters the woman with the dog sauntered past us again

maccruiskeen

Touring in the south of France we timed a day really badly and every time we passed through villages shops were closed, we ran out of food and drink and in the heat we were really struggling. We got to quite a steep road climb of 2 -miles of switchbacks and chugged up it in granny gears, head down hoping the top would just come to us if we didn’t look. Near the bottom we passed a little old woman taking a little dog for a walk. Near the top we stopped and as we tried to coax the last drops of water out of our bottles for the last hundred meters the woman with the dog sauntered past us again

jamj1974

1995. 20 years old. Pretty fit. 11.5 stone & 6′ tall = lean.

8am morning after the night before. Commute. Hungover. Quarry Bank in Cradley Heath. Passed by fellow cyclist. Folding 20″ commuter bike. Aged. Bike at least as old as me. Lady rider at least 75.

Owned.

jamj1974

Oh and she was cheerful and friendly as well. Made the pain and humiliation much worse.

zippykona

You don’t realise that there is a secret sect of really fit people who buy rubbish bikes with the sole purpose of making us look like tits.
    The guy at the exmoor explorer years back with the worst bike you can imagine. He had a drive side chainset on the left as well. Nothing matched but he was like a rocket. Bastard!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘You know you're slow when…….’ is closed to new replies.