Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 178 total)
  • You know you’re back home when… (casual racism)
  • longdog
    Free Member

Back home for the Easter weekend in a small village in East Cleveland to see my Mam.  Just been to the village shop to get her paper and the guy in front of me is absolutely reeking of stale fag smoke, spends £30 on scratch cards and then says ‘Will the eggs be half price on Tuesday?’ and answers himself with ‘ah no, they’re foreigners (the owners), they don’t  do that’

The shop assistant just ignored him and passed me my paper.

Nice to be home 🙄

Obviously not limited to this area, I’ve stopped going to a couple of groups where I now live as I just can’t be doing with it, but every time we’re home it takes minutes before I come across it 😞

steezysix
    Free Member

I’d have been tempted to say loudly “Oh no, this poor man can’t afford an Easter egg, here, let me buy one for you, just like Jesus the foreigner preaches in the bible” 😂

thols2

just like Jesus the foreigner preaches in the bible

longdog
    Free Member

🤣🤣🤣

nickfrog
    Free Member

I live in a bubble in sleepy West Sussex and I have practically never come across racism, even the casual type. Probably twice in 25 years. I am sure it’s out there but is it any worse than before or than elsewhere?

OP, where is “home” when you’re not back home?

longdog
    Free Member

live in a bubble in sleepy West Sussex and I have practically never come across racism, even the casual type.

Lucky you! I have a SiL that’s half Pakistani, one that’s Chinese, and my best friends wife is Thai. My wife’s even from the wrong side of the Pennines 😲Maybe I’m over sensitive, but no, there are just some arseholes about.

Home when I’m not ‘home’ is near Arbroath in Scotland.  I tried the men’s shed there, but left after a few times as there were a few that did my head in with it and challenging it wore thin and uncomfortable quickly.  Also had it a couple of times at the Andy’s Man Club there, wanted to complain to the facilitator, but just thought live’s too short and haven’t been back.  I really just can’t deal with the confrontation any more, which is sad I know.

Del

Nothing wrong with that. You don’t have to be a one man crusade to make the world a better place.

johnhe

I take it that American quote (three year letterman?) is sarcasm? Please tell me no one wrote that seriously?

ernielynch

You are asking whether the claim “He knew one language – English” was written seriously?

Edit:  The claim that he was American isn’t true though , he was from South London. When he taught is disciples the lord’s prayer this is what he taught them to say:

‘ Ello, Dad, up there in good old ‘eaven,

Your name is, well, great and ‘oly,

and we respect you, Guv.

We ‘ope we can all ‘ave a butcher’s at ‘eaven

and be there as soon as possible.

And we want to make you ‘appy, Guv,

and do what you want ‘ere on earth,

just like what you do in ‘eaven.

Guv, please give us some Uncle Fred,

and enough grub and stuff to keep us going today.

And we ‘ope you’ll forgive us when we cock things up,

just like we’re supposed to forgive them who annoy us

and do dodgy stuff to us.

There’s a lot of dodgy people around, Guv;

please don’t let us get tempted to do bad things.

‘elp keep us away from all the nasty, evil stuff

and keep that dodgy Satan away from us,

‘cos you’re much stronger than ‘im.

You’re the Boss, God,

and will be forever, innit?

Cheers,

Amen.

longdog
    Free Member

Reads like a Trump proclamation 🤣

sharkattack

‘Will the eggs be half price on Tuesday?’ and answers himself with ‘ah no, they’re foreigners (the owners), they don’t do that’

Is that it?

I’m from Sunderland and I’d get banned if I tried to share the stuff I hear when I go home. And that’s just from my own family.

longdog
    Free Member

Yeh, very mild. Just a 🙄 at the very first interaction I had.

Caher

Try living in Switzerland, they’re far more overtly xenophobic towards non Swiss people.

wbo
    Free Member

Well so far we’ve got some casual racial/national tropes about the US and S London in this thread, so hardly squeaky clean

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

My Grandmother needed an operation to remove an appendix (considering an F1 career?) and demanded that she was given back her appendix in a jar after the operation.

This seemed weird, even for a Chorley lass, but she wouldn’t tell the nurses why and refused to be operated on unless the promised to return her appendix. I was about 12-13 at the time and when I went to visit she told me what her concerns were. The surgeon was black and she didn’t want him to eat her appendix after he removed it.

I found it quite difficult to find the words to explain this tactfully to the charming Nigerian surgeon so made Dad tell him instead.

frankconway

A bloke just down from the street from me was talking about some of his clients being slow in paying and said of one of them…he’s from Pakistan; I’m not racist but they’re all like that.

My response – what relevance is his country of origin and anyone who says ‘I’m not a racist but…’ is outing themselves as a racist.

That ended the conversation; we haven’t talked since.

thols2

I take it that American quote (three year letterman?) is sarcasm?

Coach Letterman is a youth football coaching legend. He has so many championship rings, he can’t even turn door handles. Never question his wisdom, he’s not some random clown, he’s the proud owner of a vintage globe and a slightly used World Book Encyclopedia and you probably paid cash for your waterbed.

singletrackmind

One of my colleagues asked the young , practicing Muslim girl if Muslim people celebrate Easter.
    Innocent but nieve question.

rOcKeTdOg

Working with staff of 7 different nationalities to British I have to say their casual racism to each other and well everyone is shockingly worse than I’ve heard against them.

rOcKeTdOg

refused to be operated on unless the promised to return her appendix.

The problem I have with this, apart from the obvious is that all the appx we have through the lab (approx 8 a day) have to be dissected for histological examination to ensure the reason for problems wasn’t anything more serious than inflammation. Technically you could ask for the processed tissue back but it would involve a lot of firm filling and probably a COSHH/risk assessment of the house it was to be stored in. So I’m not convinced that story is true unless it was early last century.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

It was in the 1980’s and was obviously refused by medical staff but she was very focal in her refusal and they were trying to work out why.

thols2

One of my colleagues asked the young , practicing Muslim girl if Muslim people celebrate Easter.

Jesus is a prophet in the quran, and it is his birthday so it kinda makes sense to ask.

grimep
    Free Member
    Poopscoop

Regrettably the racism I hear mostly comes from a member of my family, bit like someone else mentioned.

BillMC

Easter his birthday? I could’ve sworn he was born at Christmas.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Innocent but nieve question

As said he’s a Muslim prophet and one of the five Buddhas in Manichaeism. Probably a few other jobs too. He was a busy bloke.

Poopscoop

one of the five Buddhas in Manichaeism

Every day’s a school day. 👍

fasgadh
    Free Member

Easter is an appropriated Spring festival, linked to the equinox and moon – so probably shares a common origin with some cultures’ New Year festivities.

frankconway

Christmas – birth.

Easter – death and resurrection.

BillMC

You do wonder how many honkies would pass the citizenship test.

Cougar

At a local pub quiz a couple of months back.

A question is read out, “what nationality is [some footballer or racing driver or other]?”  The answer was Egyptian.  Some wag shouts out across the pub, “A F***ING P***!”

Did I just go back in time 40 years?

cookeaa

Surely the obvious response to…

“Will the eggs be half price on Tuesday?”

Is:

“There’s only one way to find out, see you next Tuesday?”

And just see if he notices?

longdog
    Free Member

He’d definitely not have noticed such subtlety 🤣

LAT

What is the Man Shed and Andy’s Man Club?

longdog
    Free Member

Man Sheds are places set up for blokes to go and do wood worky crafty stuff
    usually.

Home

Andy’s Man Club is an open group on a Monday night nationally for blokes to go and talk and offload to help deal with mental health problems.

https://andysmanclub.co.uk/

alpin
    Free Member

How many white, British (being a racist flag shagger is optional in this) celebrate Easter other than using it as a chance to eat more chocolate than usual?

LAT

Thanks.

ernielynch

Well so far we’ve got some casual racial/national tropes about the US and S London in this thread, so hardly squeaky clean

There’s some weird stuff posted on this thread.

vinnyeh

Jesus is a prophet in the quran, and it is his birthday so it kinda makes sense to ask.

Surprised by the lack of comments regarding this, err, comment. Guess people just skim reading and not paying attention to what they are reading.

Cougar

Well, it was answered a few times over, so… what, you’re missing a pile-on?

Or were you just skim reading?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 178 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.