You know the first time you build a bike?

Home Forum Bike Forum You know the first time you build a bike?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You know the first time you build a bike?
  • Premier Icon buck53
    Subscriber

And it takes five times longer than you thought?
    And you end up buying loads of miscellaneous parts you hadn’t thought about?
    And half the stuff you planned to use doesn’t work?
    And you spend way more than you planned on new stuff?
    And you become inexplicably obsessed with colour coordination?
    And you spend so much time finishing the fiddly bits at the end that you’re sick of the sight of the thing before it’s turned a wheel?

It’s still ruddy ace when you finish it.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Piccy no worky…..

06awjudd

Ah damn. I’m building my new bike next weekend providing a certain part turns up.
    Looks like I’ve got all this to look forward to.
    Already needed to swap out a load of parts due to sizing issues and failures – it was my BB today 🙂

Agreed to all of those points.
    Thankfully I normally manage to keep the non-working parts to a minimum though

butcher

The first time? That sounds like every time to me.

06awjudd

My problem is that I always end up thinking the bike will be sh*t unless I buy the best parts – parts which I can’t even nearly afford.
    It’s taken me 5 months now to collect the bits and pieces, I’m going to be awful when I get back on the bike.

Premier Icon buck53
    Subscriber

Dammit. URL for now Clicky

06awjudd

sc-xc sorted it…………somehow

wolly

Try having everything but brakes, I’ve been so tempted to have a little ride but It’s far to foolish even for me

mrmo

I’m going to be awful when I get back on the bike.

Don’t take this the wrong way, no one cares about the bike, it is what you do with it that matters. Buy a cheap bike learn how to ride it and spend the rest of the money on a holiday somewhere warm and sunny to ride some more.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Mrmo, you are aware where you’re posting?

06awjudd

learn how to ride it

I know how to ride it. I’m moving from riding downhill to AM, so should be okay on the skills front. I just meant I’d be a bit rusty after 5 months with no riding. All my parts have been 2nd hand or new, but with good deals, so the bike is looking to be pretty good value at the moment.

Yeah, there’s no way I can afford a holiday, but I’ll make up for it by riding the sh*t out of it 🙂

mrmo

5 months with no riding

which would drive me insane. I would rather ride some old nail than not ride!

I get narky if i haven’t ridden for 3 days!!!

Mrmo, you are aware where you’re posting?

I know this is trail-centre-carpark-comparison-world……

lap41314

Yip.
    Did all that with my C456 but once I finished it I was so **** in proud I nearly burst. It may not be anything special to anyone else but it was the 1st bike I had built from scratch and gave me confidence in my mechanical abilities.
    The wife now shakes her head every time I look at a frame! 😀

06awjudd

@mrmo
    I have been narky! But with no bike what can I do?!
    I’ve been out a few times on my mates bike, but beyond that there’s not much I can do.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Go to a trail centre? Oh no sir, this is bikesinbackgardentrackworld….

06awjudd

My trail center doesn’t rent out DH bikes, and I see no point in renting an XC bike when I have a road bike I can ride instead. A also cannot afford to shed out god know’s how much for a day’s average riding every weekend.
    Don’t place me in the all-the-gear-no-idea category, and don’t be so damn judgmental.

Klunk

something doesn’t look right with your bike

the shock looks a bit short

mrmo

Don’t place me in the all-the-gear-no-idea category, and don’t be so damn judgmental.

not placing you in any category, more saying i would rather buy a cheap bike that i can ride now than spend months trying to source bits and pieces to build up a bike.

06awjudd

I did that with my last bike and I had endless mechanical problems. I couldn’t afford a new bike, so I decided to build one up second hand, except with new parts where I had trouble last time.
    The reason this took 5 months is because I am still at college, so my income is minimal and I had a two month period where I couldn’t earn because of exams.

I’ve got it spot on both times I’ve done full builds with no issues…. Ha! 😉

daftvader

mrs vader reckons that i enjoy the build more than riding the bikes…. she may have a point, especially in winter!

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Awjudd, I wasn’t replying to your post, just having a bit of banter with mrmo! Apologies for offence caused!

06awjudd

Ah right, sorry, I thought you were having a dig!

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

About to build a FS up (cheers Eug’ 😉 ) Mostly cheap stuff, but going on to a nice frame/forks. Always a process to be savoured though. Always worried though, that the first ride will be underwhelming but this time I’ll do at least three or four local shake-down runs before going farther afield.

hambl90

Something’s not quite right with the rear end on that felt me thinks .

neiloxford

The shock looks too short, so maybe another shock required (or put some air in the one you have), which could mean new gear cables and brake hose lengths?

Dylan08

Nice build!! But def issues with that shock, the angle of the linkage etc

Premier Icon buck53
    Subscriber

Bugger, hadn’t spotted that. Obvious now it’s pointed out.

The shock is standard as far as I’m aware. Could this just be because it’s not been ridden in some time? Bit of silicone spray and cycling the travel might sort it out? Or is it time for a game of ‘find the seized linkage’?

200mm i-2-i shock, i think. for the felt virtue

martinxyz

How on earth could you not notice those rockers! Looks so odd. Was that a superb deal from crc shock? ;O)

Kato

Your shock might be stuck down. Whip it off and see if it sucks all the shaft into it. If so, take ALL the air out. Pull a big rag through the shaft end eyelet and crack the can off until it goes bang. Then wind all the rebound off and screw the can back down. Might need a seal kit

Premier Icon themightymowgli
    Subscriber

I’m afraid all your colour coding has been wasted, those pedals and that wall……. 😉
    I personally find you never really finish the build. If its your one bike you’ll always want to add that extra bit.

Premier Icon buck53
    Subscriber

I’m glad someone has picked up on something innocuous in the background, I was beginning to not feel like pay of the gang for a minute there.

The shock has indeed sucked all of the shaft into it (!) So I’m about to take it out and unscrew it.

Still hopeful of riding it in anger today.

Premier Icon buck53
    Subscriber

It’s fixed! Hurrah!

It’s now snowing!FML!

Was an easy enough fix once I knew what I was doing, didn’t need a strap wrench, just a vice and a bit of grip strength. For reinstalling the air can it was made easy by putting the shock back on the bike and compressing it with body weight before screwing the can back on. [/teaching grandma to suck eggs]

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

I’ve set myself a Proper “Bargain bin Challenge” at the minute; To try and avoid some of the issues the OP lists.
    I’ve bought a cheap used frame and I’ve set about building it up in to a DJ bike as cheaply as possible using as much of the accrued crap I already have in the Garage rather than going and wasting money on new stuff where I don’t have to… Where I don’t have an item I need, first call is classifieds and ebay to source it as cheaply as possible, I’m not allowed any bling or new stuff on this build basically

At the minute it’s shaping up to be an “interesting” bike, which will have a slightly odd spec, but I’m really looking forwards to finishing the project and having a fun bike I genuinely won’t mind smashing to pieces as it’s cost almost nothing to assemble…

It’s also made me realize just how often I’ve written off perfectly usable kit in favor of something newer but probably no better…

Premier Icon buck53
    Subscriber

Bargain basement is definitely where this build is at. The whole thing has cost under £450, which I personally think is great value for the spec. It’s pretty amazing what you can pick up from the classifieds and online sales if you look hard enough.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘You know the first time you build a bike?’ is closed to new replies.