Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You know all these people getting ripped off? I have a solution!!
  • D0NK

So I still reckon it would make a big difference.

dunno, how easy* is it to anonymously/falsely become a premier member? Not exactly a huge cost is it? and they could probably recoup that in one “sale”. Short term I reckon it might make a difference, honest classified business would probably be reduced more than scams long term.

*I have no doubt it’s possible one way or another just not sure how easy.

mattbee

I struggle with long sentences.
    It’s very simple. If you trust them, use ‘gift’ if you want. If not, just do it as ‘payment for goods’ but add 4% to the total to cover the fees. All most sellers are saying by asking for ‘gift’ is that they don’t want to pay the fees and they also don’t want to add them to their advertised price. Doing it this way they get the money they wanted, you pay the same and you get protection.
    (If you can’t work the fees out just proceed to the final confirmation screen as gift. It will show you the fees you are paying. Go back and add that to total put through as payment for goods.)

hammyuk
    Free Member

Matt – the thing is the Buyer shouldn’t HAVE TO – the seller is looking for the money and is expecting someone else to foot the bill for them receiving that money.
    That’s like me coming for a rental/service and expecting Andy to pay for it…. (not that that would be a bad thing… 😉 )
    As for protection – again they shouldn’t have to – the seller is the one who should cover it.

richpips
    Free Member

Another forum that I used to post on regularly has these rules.

60 days membership and 25 posts minimum.

It also has an ebay type feedback system.

Plus a sticky of known scammers.

Put a good system in place and (most of) the scammers will go elsewhere.

aracer
    Free Member

Put a good system in place

You do remember the new STW which was delayed for so long it became a standing joke? I think they might have finally got around to fixing the glitchy bump issue which existed ever since the rebuild after the big hack (and they were told about within days of it appearing). Anyway, don’t you know that the STW forums are so much bigger than anything else comparable which makes it so much harder for them to change or fix anything?

I shan’t be holding my breath for them putting a system in place of any sort (let alone a good one) for anything which doesn’t directly affect the STW bottom line.

richpips
    Free Member

You do remember the new STW which was delayed for so long it became a standing joke? I think they might have finally got around to fixing the glitchy bump issue which existed ever since the rebuild after the big hack (and they were told about within days of it appearing). Anyway, don’t you know that the STW forums are so much bigger than anything else comparable which makes it so much harder for them to change or fix anything?

I shan’t be holding my breath for them putting a system in place of any sort (let alone a good one) for anything which doesn’t directly affect the STW bottom line.

You could suggest something clever and constructive.

Slogo
    Free Member

DO NOT USE PAYPAL GIFT!!!

andrewh
    Free Member

And provide information to anyone who gets scammed by someone registered who’s details are held by the forum.

I don’t like that. What about genuine sellers and buyers who are justtaking the proverbial? I’m sure we’ve all come accross it, there was one more scratch than the description said, jump straight to witch hunt. Without seeing the items the powers that be have no idea who is right and who’s wrong.
    Simple answer, and I do it now. When you buy or sell something, leave a post on the ad saying if you were happy or not, more detail if you want. When you want to buy something check the seller’s posting history for other ads and see how they went. Informal feedback for the regulars, sorted.
    And what’s all the fuss about pp gift? I use it, buying and selling. Yes, there is a risk but then I won’t deal with anyone who seems iffy anyway, have a proper search of their history and satisfy yourself as to their reliabilty before agreeing to anything, it’s not rocket science. I suspect too many just see an ad and answer it without even looking at the seller.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

But why should the seller take a hit on the price to give protection to the buyer?

The seller wants x pounds for the item, so that is what he should get.

If the buyer wants the insurance of buying through PayPal then he has to pay for it, it is of no benefit to the seller.

hammyuk
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member
    But why should the seller take a hit on the price to give protection to the buyer?
    The seller wants x pounds for the item, so that is what he should get.
    If the buyer wants the insurance of buying through PayPal then he has to pay for it, it is of no benefit to the seller.

So yet another greedy seller expecting to get their money handed to them for nothing…

Tell you what I will sell something and get you to pick the cash up, post it down to me special delivery so I definitely get it – but don’t worry I’m not prepared to cover your costs though of doing that though……

Far too many on here that are clearly only interested in themselves and their greed…. So much for the supposed “community”….

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

So what happened with angry iPad buyer? Did he get the iPad in the end?

hora
    Free Member

DONT use PP gift. Even regular STWers misdescribe condition

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I sold some parts to somebody through a wanted ad on here and they very kindly paid via paypal gift. This was an unexpected bonus and a bit of a compliment. But then I guess he’s done his homework and knows I’m an honourable kind of a dude.

Of course I still haven’t sent his stuff*

*Normal packing and weekend postal faffage rules apply.

_tom_
    Free Member

Other forums just have a sticky at the top of the sales forum of “Trustworthy/Untrustworthy Sellers” – seems to work well, why can’t we just do that?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Put whatever rules you want in it doesn’t stop people being stupid. Paypal protection doesn’t prevent fraud as it just flips it onto dishonest buyers then who state the goods were damaged, keep the item and get refunded too. We’ve had an increase in the amount of people complaining about that too.

hitman
    Free Member

In the past, I bought and sold using paypal gift but this was before the great forum change in 2008(?).
    Seemed a lot friendlier on here then, and the chances of being scammed appeared to be a lot less.
    Also prices are now often laughably high, whereas there seemed to be real bargains on here and even people giving away items to a good home – I know I’ve even done this!
    Now I’m inclined to look at eBay – generally cheaper and added protection.

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘You know all these people getting ripped off? I have a solution!!’ is closed to new replies.