Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)
  • You gets what you pays for – quality furniture delivery
  • 29erKeith
    Free Member

Not furniture but I was looking for a pasta machine the other day £20 in Argos then £30 in John Lewis and even worse was a “Branded” one in John Lewis for £70. First two look exactly the same the third is only differentiated by a tiny wooden handle instead of a plastic one and a swanky cardboard box for an extra £50. I like John Lewis (and Ikea) but Really!!! 😯

wwaswas

my stool used to be a door on the RMS Aquitania

So poor you have to eat doors from cruise ships. Nails.

Sandwich

My Mondeo is a Ghia!

You are Ricky Gervais and I claim my £5

sharkbait
    Free Member

My house is painted in Farrow and Ball, Estate finish paints. That is style.

Interstingly so is ours (I bet you feel dirty now)

My neighbours house

You have neighbours? Oh you poor soul 🙁

I was at Ikea last week buying a chest of drawers for one of my daughters. I don’t have any problem with their stuff and frankly I can’t afford JL as I my girls education is more important than who the furniture came from (and it will last longer and be a real investment).

SamCooke
    Free Member

my stool used to be a door on the RMS Aquitania

you really need more fibre in your diet

Klunk
    Free Member

if you want style in your furniture you buy Italian.

MSP

That is buying into the statement that a particular manufacturer implys style, kind of like the timeless class that is burberry.

hels
    Free Member

Sam Cooke for Retort of the Week !

DrRSwank
    Free Member

You have neighbours? Oh you poor soul

Thank you SharkBait – it’s nice that someone understands.

When the leaves are off the trees it gets worse – in the far distance I can see a house that has a VAN parked outside!!!!!! (and NO, it’s not a JL van)

rewski
    Free Member

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Rewski – leave my mother out of this!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

tbh, anyone who didn’t inherit all their furniture along with a building of sufficient grandeur to house it is lower class.

This x 1000.

What, what, what..doncha know..pip, pip!

Jamie
    Free Member

3 pages? ‘effin awesome 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I loathe the places.

So you’ve been to more than one then! (placeS = plural)

That figures. How else would you know all this?

They’re always full of the hopeful poor trundling around in their nasty leisure wear buying huge boxes of flat pack crap that they’ll barely manage to shoehorn into their nasty Rovers.

Or, well, err, at least THINK you know it all…..

Woody
    Free Member

I take great pleasure in buying quality stuff which I find in less than high quality outlets – the North East is a haven for it!

Last one was a very nice quality leather suite for £1200. Identical ie. same manufacturer/quality, to one which the ex sister-in-law, unknown to us, had paid £5k for a couple of months earlier in Barker and Stonehouse.

Smug…moi? 😆

DrRSwank
    Free Member

So you’ve been to more than one then! (placeS = plural)

Yes – I was dragged into the Wembley one years ago by my fat and vacuous ex (there’s a funny anecdote about that visit involving some flowers and a brothel….). And then I was dragged into the Milton Keynes one last year by my current OH who wanted to buy candles.

Neither (plural) were good experiences.

Why would anyone want to go to such ghastly placeS[/u] to buy awful furniture?

wwaswas

Why would anyone want to go to such ghastly placeS to buy awful furniture?

yet you quite cheerfully admit to visiting John Lewis which has, as has been admitted above, leather clad oiks barging all and sundry around in a bid to buy their granny a tea cosy or somesuch.

ourmaninthenorth

Ikea John Lewis really is the closest thing to hell we have on Earth at the moment. Hideous places filled with awfully made and awful looking tat that just sells becuase the prollies desperate middle classes have been brainwashed into thinking something called Gzyjqdit YouSimplyMustHaveThisDahling by Cath Kidston is fashionable.

I loathe the places. They’re always full of the hopeful poor mortgaged-to-the-hilt trundling around in their nasty leisure wear deck shoes, coloured jeans and bought-off-a-peg sports jackets buying huge boxes of might-as-well-be flat pack crap that they’ll barely manage to shoehorn into their nasty Range Rovers Sports.

It really is a truly unpleasant shopping experience.

I believe the term is: fixed that for you. Sir.

filthybloke
    Free Member

The only thing that seems pretty apparant from this thread is that Dr R S **** is an appropriate name.

You’re aversion and colourful descriptions of your fellow humans is distasteful.

philconsequence
    Free Member

silly people. do you not realise you’re all poor in comparison to somebody else? being proud or ashamed of it is silly.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

DrRSwank is spot on about the shopping experience at Ikea though.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

You’re aversion and colourful descriptions of your fellow humans is distasteful.

Thank you 🙂

I do try.

emsz
    Free Member

Depends when you go to Ikea… I have one of their beds, made it myself ( took longer than it really should of being “helped” by gf) it squeaks now 8)

Her parents shop at Waitrose and JL seems like pretty bland furniture to me.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ikea beds are non-standard size for this country so mattress choice is limited 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

But Molgrips – you’ve fallen into the trap.

Ikea make awful furniture. But they market the Ikea experience well, so we buy it. It doesn’t make houses look nice – it makes them look cheap and gawdy

No trap. I have a limited budget. Plus a lot of Ikea furniture I happen to like. Feel free to look down on me for my personal taste – it just makes you look like an arsehole, I’m not bothered.

If Ikea were charging you £400 for a cheap flatpack bookcase, then fine, but they’re not they are charging £20.

What am I supposed to do if I cannot afford JL furniture?

molgrips
    Free Member

By the way the £59 JL bookcase is finished with oak effect plastic, the Ikea billy for the same price has real birch veneer. Much more attractive.

Bunnyhop

Nobody has mentioned cushions, one can ever have enough. Cushions on beds, floors, furniture, parcel shelf of your Rover.

Where do we stand on Laura Ashley? 60% of our house is filled with it. As an ex employee their stuff is quite well made, with decent range of styles, colours etc. Oooh hark at me I’m sounding like an advert.

Edit: Laura Ashley also delivered on time and called me Sir, which is strange as I’m a lady.

kimbers

we have an ikea kingsize bed and its great, looks good and very sturdy 😉
    though we had to take it home ourselves, flatpacked in a suzuki swift!!!!!

we got our sofa from nabru which was great because we were able to design it ourselves and maximise the space in our wee living room
    http://www.nabru.co.uk/design_your_own

however delivery was an arse- they were trying a new courier company who fuct the entire thing right up!

Bunnyhop

Is it sofa, settee, couch or 3 piece suite?
    Sofa bed,
    couch potato,

Fabrics are so important, a draylon in beige can totally destroy a room, however a rich velour looks quite nice, leatherette eeek, no, no.

jonba
    Free Member

We looked at JL but thought it not worth the price when we considered other options.

We got ours bespoke from a variety of local people. If you are in Newcastle I can strongly recommend Matthew Macmanus and Gosforth Pine. Great quality, reasonably quick, bespoke and about the same price as JL in our experience.

pjbarton
    Free Member

My neighbours house is painted in B&Q cheap slop

oh dear, colour is the design decision not the paint brand! stick with dulux and choose the colour you want not what a fancy pants brand tells you is ‘in’.

philconsequence
    Free Member

we have several items of furniture from charity shops.

many of those on this forum who have met me will attest to how much betterer and more stylisher i am than drswank

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Molgrips – I’m not looking down on you at all. I do understand that people have different budgets. It’s just the argument that Ikea is somehow the essence of style that annoys me.

As for cushions – where do I begin. I have no issue in saying I’m a grown man – yet I faff constantly over fabrics for throw cushions and pillows on beds and sofas.

Middle age has really released my inner campness.

As for Laura Ashley – let’s not go there…….

clubber
    Free Member

emsz – Member
    Depends when you go to Ikea… I have one of their beds, made it myself ( took longer than it really should of being “helped” by gf) it squeaks now 8)

I’m trying to figure this out 😕 My imagination is failing me 😉

DrRSwank
    Free Member

we have several items of furniture from charity shops

CANCEL ALL MY MEETINGS

Phil is now my counselling priority.

Tell me all about it Phil, don’t hold back the tears……

emsz
    Free Member

Clubber…the point is. Furniture isn’t cool because of where you bought it from, its cool because of its history. 😉

If DrSwank has got some tales to tell about the book case (swinging off it naked or whatever), then its cool, if not, then it’s just expensive. (which isn’t cool 8) )

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, right. I’m still just considering what makes beds squeak 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

charity shops, hand-me-downs, donated furniture from some rich friends, some stuff from *takes a deep breath*…. argos.

most of the art on our walls is from a discount place apart from the stuff i painted myself.

i also ride a carrera from halfords and my full suss is second hand.

the hoody i am wearing was given to me by a psychiatric patient and my t-shirt was free 7 years ago.

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, inverse snobbery. Brilliant 🙂

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Don’t get me strated on supermarkets. I’ve been shopping today. Normally I’m a Waitrose man, but I’m in Lincoln at the moment and they don’t seem to have quality supermarkets up here.

I will also use Sainsburys and, at a push, Tesco.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘You gets what you pays for – quality furniture delivery’ is closed to new replies.