Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You freestanding stoveists…
  • dashed
    Free Member

What have you got behind your stove for heat proofing? I’ve got a modern house, stove is going to be freestanding (no chimney or fireplace) against a plasterboard wall so will either need a slate/stone back or heatproof board. I’ve got (hetas approved) fitter lined up but lacking inspiration for what to do behind…

bedmaker

I usually chop out the plasterdoard about 1200 square and brick on edge behind. Dab fireline plasterboard onto this to give a 75mm thick non combustible layer.
    If it’s a party wall rather than external, then just chop out any woodwork and replace with metal studding then fireline plasterboard on top.

Some stoves will scorch the wall finish behind so tiles may still be required anyway.

PePPeR
    dashed
    Free Member

External wall – plasterboard onto wood studwork (I think!). Chap who came round earlier suggested that heat resistant board was a different finish to plasterboard and couldn’t be skimmed over (that bit makes sense) so it was always going to stand out as an inlaid section on the rest of the wall – is that true?

Not quite the look I’m going for, but how would you achieve this kinda thing??

linky

dashed
    Free Member

looking at that link PePPeR, looks like I need to find a fitter who knows what he’s talking about!! Sounds like you can skim ok with the right plaster and guessing you could blend that in with the rest of the wall ok and then re-paint the whole wall. What stops the paint scorching?

br
    Free Member

We just brought it out by the distance required to not have a heat-proof wall. Obviously you need the space for this.

Also beware of brochures with fires in that appear to be sat against plaster/plasterboard walls – as they aren’t real…

carlphillips
    Free Member

we had fireboard put behind ours then some kind of plaster skimmed over that resists cracking with heat(i think, it may be normal plaster for all i know!)? but, for all the precautions even when the stove has been on all day the plasterboard behind the stove (and to the sides)is cool to the touch.
    during installation

front room inset

TheDTs
    Free Member

5mm Heat soaked glass.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’m probably the last person you should take advice from as none of my stoves have been professionally installed or certified

This one I installed following the manufacturers instructions. They required a 200mm gap between the rear of the stove and the wall. There is still some heat transfer but nothing to worry about.

The other two stoves we have radiate little or no heat to the rear.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Do you find the free standing ones produce heat more efficiently than the inset one Carl?

TheDTs
    Free Member

IMG_0688

dashed
    Free Member

Cheers for your thoughts – just had a look at the tech spec on the Morso stove I fancy and it reckons 600mm clearance at rear to combustables (not a dedicated freestanding stove – they have much lower clearances of 150-200mm) so that’s not gonna work. So looks like skimmed fireboard inlaid…

footflaps

That floor does look gorgeous mcmoonter!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Do you find the free standing ones produce heat more efficiently than the inset one Carl?

We have both and the freestanding stove produces more heat more quickly. But, although it’s a bit slower to heat the room, the inset stove puts a lot of heat into the brickwork and this radiates heat for a day or two after the stove has gone out – it’s a rather nice effect really.

br
    Free Member

Cheers for your thoughts – just had a look at the tech spec on the Morso stove I fancy and it reckons 600mm clearance at rear to combustables (not a dedicated freestanding stove – they have much lower clearances of 150-200mm) so that’s not gonna work. So looks like skimmed fireboard inlaid…

300mm on ours.

http://www.storesdirect.co.uk/stoves/stovax-riva-f66-freestanding-multifuel-woodburning-stove.html

globalti
    Free Member

Gloss varnish? Oh dear.

Nice room though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘You freestanding stoveists…’ is closed to new replies.