Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • YOU DONT NEED THE MOST EXPENSIVE GEAR!
  • druidh
    Free Member

elliott-20 – Member
    FTR – On average I ride at least 80 – 120 miles a week regularly.

That’s 1 bike, 1 chain, 1 cassette, 8 years. Guess I was the lucky one to get the diamond coated version.

100 miles a week on average then. 5,000 miles a year.

8 years is 40,000 miles, aye? On one chain and cassette…..

partyboy
    Free Member

Maybe he does a lot of pushing 😯

hugor
    Free Member

Very impressive stats if thats true. I believe you.
    I use sram XO probably do 50 miles per week over 3 offroad rides.
    I change my drivetrain once per year on average.
    I never clean my bike unless I’m looking for cracks or something due to funny noises.
    My last drivetrain cost me 160 quid.
    If it takes me half an hour to clean my bike then over a year that amounts to 78 hours per year. Thats 2 quid per hour.
    My time is worth more to me than that.

elliott-20
    Free Member

druidh – Member

100 miles a week on average then. 5,000 miles a year.

I guess by your calculations that can’t be far off. About 15 miles a day commute plus another 20 miles offroad a week, more in the summer. The average car does 10k a year. I ride to work.

And yes, there are times I use the car etc (which incidentally only does 5k a year). but in the summer I get out and ride more in the evenings. I was trying to average it out.

Still doesn’t distract from the fact I look after my bike and I got that much out of 1 chain and cassette. Again, I must be lucky, just laying down the facts from personal experience.

Tyres on the other hand… 😯

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I think most of us were thinking about off road use.

njee20
    Free Member

My tyres outlast my chains, road or off road. In fact my brake pads generally outlast my chains.

donsimon
    Free Member

I managed to keep a set of brake pads on my road bike for nigh on ten years, never went out in the rain see. Still managed an average of 100km per week mind.

GW
    Free Member

only doing anti-clockwise road loops has the same effect (wet or dry) ^^

ilovemygears
    Free Member

i reckon 600-900 miles per chain for me if that, mud round hear dont get on with them…you can reck one in a weekend

yunki
    Free Member

I think that what we can take from this discussion is that best quality doesn’t always mean most expensive.. or have I missed something..?

alancash100
    Free Member

I’m pretty happy that my drunken post inspired so many replies!

Thanks for the entertainment!

Al

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If the filter down effect really worked, then we’d all be quite happy with tourney rear mechs by now. Unfortunately it is a marketing exercise (not a ploy) to engineer the incremental differences between model ranges so we still perceive the components as having a different value, the decide how much to spack on parts.

I have to be honest SLX stuff seems more than good enough for me, I much prefer x9 to x7 though (DH bike so very specific application.)

There seems to be a lot of people here who seem to think that buying good kit in some way substitutes being able to maintain a bike correctlly. If you value your time to highly, buy a cheaper groupset and pay to get the bike cleaned and serviced a bit more often, I think you’ll find some real perfomance benefits..

simonm
    Free Member

There seems to be a lot of people here who seem to think that buying good kit in some way substitutes being able to maintain a bike correctlly

And there are a lot of people on here, who like to think that people who buy nice kit do it as they think it will make them faster… when actually they already know its all about the rider.. but just like nice kit.

Viewing 14 posts - 121 through 134 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘YOU DONT NEED THE MOST EXPENSIVE GEAR!’ is closed to new replies.