Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 135 total)
  • You come across a car parked like this what would you do?
  • hedgeprickler
    Free Member

If they aint local then report.

If they are local, then a handy rock in the windscreen

kerley
    Free Member

My view on this is that others have done it so its ok

matt_outandabout

The best one was the farmer in Seathwaite who just drove his tractor and trailer through the cars obstructing his road…

The worst one was a farmer on Loch Tay who turned his tractor over trying to get into his (only) field entrance to 300+ sheep who needed feeding.
    He broke his back, thankfully with minimal long term damage. The idiots who blocked the track with two cars got a warning. Grrrr.

This whole thread shows that there’s some people who don’t understand some simple issues and the entitlement to park thier car comes first anyway.

lesgrandepotato

Putting the rock back was not cool. I do get frustrated when people park in the end of our lane though.

stevedoc
    Free Member

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2017/11/14/police-probe-after-great-gable-remembrance-day-walkers-cars-damaged-at-seathwaite

Oh no such a shame …

Spends hours travelling to local beauty spots only to help destroy local beauty spots by parking like a dick …

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cool old story bro.

Tbh, there’s a need for a bit of a discussion on provision of parking in this country, that has been exacerbated by the massive rise in numbers due to the current situation. I see that there’s a new car park and visitor centre being built at the Devils pulpit, If we’re gonna encourge people out into the outdoors, we need to think about how we’re getting them there.

If there’s little public transport options, then parking is going to be an issue. Aye, it’d be great if folk could pedal or take a bus, but back in the real world…

Pedalled past Ben Lomond car park before 6am one august morning, it was 3/4 full and filling fast.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep, people were parking all over the gaff at Rivington yesterday, it was like the height of summer when lockdown was relaxed again.

There will be a few tyre marks on the grass today (not mine, I must add), but it’s not a massive deal and I hoep someone, somewhere is registering the increased public engagement with the outdoors as a positive.

wzzzz
    Free Member

TBH if I’d driven all the way down that tiny winding road to Tarn Hows, desperate to catch a glimpse of a once carefully curated and expensively maintained victorian picturesque landscape left to fall into disrepair over decades, now looking like some kind of bizarre pseudo-rewilded caricature of what it once was (and what it once was before humans messed with it), I’d not be turning back and heading home – I’d be leaving the Bentley wherever it would fit and dragging my entitlement around the gravel road gawping at the grotesqueness of it all.

It staggers me that people drive all the way into the lakes to eat their butties with everyone else, wether thats by Bentley in 2020 or by charabanc in 1898 (when it was much prettier than it is now).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

1898 (when it was much prettier than it is now).

Impressive memory.

twonks

Needs a nice new sign knocking up.

fasthaggis

Needs a nice new sign knocking up.

Yup

dump it

martinhutch

desperate to catch a glimpse of a once carefully curated and expensively maintained victorian picturesque landscape left to fall into disrepair over decades, now looking like some kind of bizarre pseudo-rewilded caricature of what it once was (and what it once was before humans messed with it), I’d not be turning back and heading home – I’d be leaving the Bentley wherever it would fit and dragging my entitlement around the gravel road gawping at the grotesqueness of it all.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I think it’s an uglier side of our society that people assume people with moneys are dicks.

A lot of them are though.

So…alot of people without money are dicks too. So what? Being a dick is mutually exclusive to wealth or the car you drive. And my observation that most badly parked cars in the countryside and out of the countryside are not Bently’s, but yet we tolerate them on a daily basis and happy for the proper authorities to deal with them. So why pick on a Bently and not trespassing MTBers, or wild camping Campervanners etc who all seem to be acceptable by STW standards…

Just best to keep your beaks out of other peoples business and if you are concerned about something then inform the proper authorities. The revenue from fines from the offenders will be much more useful rather than some virtue signaller making some pathetic token gesture which is really about making them feel better about themselves rather than metering out any form of justice or genuine concern about protecting the countryside.

Bunnyhop

Hubby and I had ridden up the bridle way to Robin Hood’s Picking Rods (for those in the know) in the summer.

It was quite late, but mtbers were still descending to a gate.
    When we reached the gate ourselves a car had driven up the secluded farm track and blocked both path and gate. We were greeted by a woman (not dressed for country pursuits) standing in high heels and a thin floaty dress. Amazingly she opened the gate for us. She and the chap in the car seemed rather fed up, that their romantic evening had been spoilt. We struggled to get the bike past (our tandem) and there was no way a horse could have managed it.

I wanted to say – what a stupid place to park, but was laughing too much.

Some people have no idea that they are blocking paths in the countryside for farmers or rural workers.

wzzzz
    Free Member

@nobeerinthefridge

Impressive memory.

They are starting to put it back to how it was “intended” since Marshall died with his vision and the larch / conifers took over and we end up with what people think is a natural landscape but is far from it.

@martinhutch
    just trying to role play a typical Bentley driver. Or maybe they are all footballers afterall.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Being a dick is mutually exclusive to wealth or the car you drive.

chakaping
    Free Member

some virtue signaller

*makes Blankety Blank fail noise*

Drac

It staggers me that people drive all the way into the lakes to eat their butties with everyone else, wether thats by Bentley in 2020 or by charabanc in 1898 (when it was much prettier than it is now).

Ooooh! Get you.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Some Tesla pulled up taking up two spaces. My mates sprung up and and moved their vans to within about 2cm either side of the Tesla.

But Tesla guy would just return, drive it forwards 8′ using his phone, then open the door, get in and drive away…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

But Tesla guy would just return, drive it forwards 8′ using his phone, then open the door, get in and drive away…

No. He’d come out of the establishment he’s visiting, hit the “my Tesla is awesome, it’s like being in the future but now, pick me up here” button on his phone and not even get close enough to see the vans.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Hubby and I

You’ve been spending too much time on Snowheads 😁

Drac

But Tesla guy would just return, drive it forwards 8′ using his phone, then open the door, get in and drive away

Yeah but Alpin’s friends are hilarious.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

We were greeted by a woman (not dressed for country pursuits) standing in high heels and a thin floaty dress. Amazingly she opened the gate for us. She and the chap in the car seemed rather fed up

They might have been doing some photography.

anagallis_arvensis

So…alot of people without money are dicks too. So what? Being a dick is mutually exclusive to wealth or the car you drive.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Anyway, I’d like to register my bitter disappointment STW, we’re on page 3 and no one has yet suggested:

You come across a car parked like this what would you do?

Wipe it off and apologise

reluctantjumper

If you want to see scenes of entitled parking causing chaos you should get up to Storey Arms in the Brecon Beacons on any remotely sunny day!

The road that goes past the walker’s entry to get onto Pen Y Fan is a trunk road with no parking allowed (controlled by the circular red cross sign over a blue background) along it between Merthyr and Brecon unless it’s in a car park or Layby, of which there are a few. A few years ago the road was redone with new kerbs, widened slightly plus a new entry to the official NT car park. This left a flat area each side that was just over a car’s width either side. The first day it was fully open was a Saturday and cars parked both sides of the road, creating chaos as they churned up the soft soil, parked at all sorts of odd angles and with people getting out of their cars directly onto a 60mph trunk road there were loads of near-misses with cars, lorries and the regular motorbikes. That Monday the highways agency, National Park Authority and the council got together and hastily had a local quarry drop hundreds of boulders along the side of the road as anti-parking measures. Didn’t stop anyone, they just drove onto the grass head-on between the boulders instead. The next weekend someone was hit by a truck going along as they crossed the road between two parked SUV’s, thankfully the lorry was going slowly but the dashcam footage from it was on the web showing how the driver had no chance of missing them.
    The next weekend it was chaos again up there with people parked everywhere they shouldn’t so the council sent up a traffic warden who ticketed every car they could, some 150 vehicles. This caused an utter uproar so the National Trust and Rambler’s Association got involved saying every ticket should be cancelled as it was the fault of whoever was in charge of car parking for not creating enough parking for everyone. This backfired on two points: 1: the main car park up there is the responsibility of the National Trust and 2: there are plenty of layby’s all within a mile of the main car park but no-one uses them as they’re ‘too far away’!
    Cutting out a year of arguments, it was after a lot of serious pressure from the Rambler’s Association that it was agreed that a temporary 30mph limit would be used every weekend so that traffic is slower and that parking on the sides would be temporarily ignored until a better car park can be built. This was o the agreement that the National Trust would commit to building a larger car park on the site of their current one after the felling that was taking place was finished. New plans were duly submitted and approved and the felling finished so all should have been moving on nicely. But no. The National Trust then refused to build the new car park siting that it would spoil the view and not be in keeping with the area!! 2 years on there is still the parking on the verges and the temporary 30mph limit. Even this hasn’t stopped 3 people being hit while crossing the road or getting out of their cars and earlier in the year it took most of a night to recover a lot of parked cars from the verge after heavy rain the night before meant everyone got stuck. The National Trust have been told this summer that the temporary speed restrictions will lapse this winter and that they have to start working on the car park else all illegal parking up there will be clamped down on and the speed restrictions will be removed. The Rambler’s Association are now trying to get a legal challenge to this as they now say they have a right to park and access the countryside.

All so a load of fat and lazy people can park as close as humanly possible to a 2m wide gravel path that goes directly to the summit of Pen Y Fan and claim to have walked up the highest mountain in the area but refuse to walk the extra 1/2 mile to the car parks and laybys further along the road. It’s utterly ridiculous.

postierich
    Free Member

STW never disappoints  and MartinH has far to much time on his hand!

I was parked opposite after hung around for an hour whilst I cooked some food and enjoyed the view, unfortunately the driver did not turn up and it was dark when I left. Maybe they had abandoned it after getting stuck and  sought help who knows!

Parking like this is one of my pet hates especially when it churns up the grass!

Rich

MoreCashThanDash

You come across a car parked like this what would you do?

Wipe it off and apologise

Shame that got lost in the noise 😃

scruff
    Free Member

Anyone cleaned the FP alongside Tom Gill? I tried last year but couldn’t ride it all, it getting dark was my excuse.

martinhutch

Anyone cleaned the FP alongside Tom Gill? I tried last year but couldn’t ride it all, it getting dark was my excuse.

I got down it OK in my Bentley.

MartinH has far to much time on his hand!

It’s the other hand I’m worried about.

sharkbait
    Free Member

especially when it churns up the grass!

I think it’s fair to say that MTB does it’s fair share of grass churning.
    As already said, that space has been used many times for parking and the rock was moved a long time ago, as witnessed by the bare patch uncovered when it was moved back.
    The driver has seen a place (seemingly not blocking anything) that has been parked on before and put his car there.
    His biggest crime was spending a shit load on money on something that looks like a London taxi.
    Moving the rock back looks like the act of a jealous d**K and is barely any different to putting rocks/branches across trails.

sillysilly
    Free Member

This thread is a missed opportunity to gain valuable information for the STW forum.

The most appropriate action would be just to ask him if it would fit a larger 29er enduro sled in the back without taking the front wheel off.

Now we don’t know if it’s better than a T5…

bigfoot
    Free Member

is that the one that goes to the coniston road from the corner of the tarn? if so only tried once a few years ago, from what i remember it was a dark wet night and very slippery( thats my excuse anyway), had a little tumble on some rocks near the start and another bit further down i couldn’t ride that i can remember.

lightfighter762
    Free Member

I know a guy who has one that goes to the Tweed Valley, rides the steeps and is the nicest guy. His bike sucks though. Gore red YT capra. Even worse he wears a drop frame.

welshfarmer

Maybe the Bentley belongs to the local farmer who was out checking his sheep on the fell? We don’t all drive brand new Range Rovers you know. 😉

nick1962
    Free Member

Humblebrag, nouveau riche dogging spot obvs.
    Some of our locals complained about grass being churned up on bits of the park across which hardly anyone ever walks, except to let their dogs sh*t ,after a regional,junior and family fun CX event.

CountZero

since Marshall died with his vision and the larch / conifers took over and we end up with what people think is a natural landscape but is far from it.

Please point to a part of the U.K. that’s a natural landscape.

As already said, that space has been used many times for parking and the rock was moved a long time ago, as witnessed by the bare patch uncovered when it was moved back.
    The driver has seen a place (seemingly not blocking anything) that has been parked on before and put his car there.

Exactly my thought – there are at least half a dozen different tyre tread patterns there, and they’re all underneath the Bentley’s tyre marks; some of them are clearly off-road tyres as well.
    Frankly, ripping the Bentley driver a new one just ‘cos of the car and it being parked where umpteen others have parked is just taking cheap shots – reserve your ire for the irresponsible ****wits who destroy byways and RUPPs driving convoys of old Range Rovers and Landrovers along them when the weather’s at it’s worse because they think they’re entitled to. They’re th biggest dicks. 🤬

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Maybe they had abandoned it after getting stuck and sought help who knows!

Indeed, who knows. I hope you feel very proud of yourself. But please, get a life.

Poopscoop

^^ In all honesty,I think the op probably has more of a life than many on here, including me.😁

ElShalimo

there are at least half a dozen different tyre tread patterns there”

Some people have too much spare time, or work for Pirelli

🤦

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘You come across a car parked like this what would you do?’ is closed to new replies.