Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You choose: Defective tyre or defective user?
  • martinhutch

Bought a pair of Tubeless Ready Racing Ralphs for the mythical summer conditions that are just around the corner 🙂

First one went one beautifully and held air virtually straight away with a bit of sealant sloshing. The other one has been a nightmare – went on the rim without much fuss, but has had a seemingly endless series of pinhole leaks through the sidewall. I’ve slooshed and spun the bugger until my arms hurt, reinflated about 20 times, added more sealant, slooshed it again. After a false dawn where I managed a short ride on it, it was flat again the next morning, and pumping it up just blows the sealant out of the pinholes.

Gave up on it this morning and put my fuss-free Captain back on.

Given the massive difference between the two, is this user error? Or dodgy Ralph?

willber
    Free Member

Is the rim OK? I’ve seen this when there is a slight ‘ding’ in the rim and bead wont quite seal in that region – and the sealant sort of bubbles out from apparent pinholes in that region

martinhutch

They’re coming from all over the place…both sidewalls…

MSP

This has been a problem with Continental tyres in the past, taken up to 2 weeks to seal. Never realised schwalbe were starting to have the same problems.

willber
    Free Member

You could try mounting the ‘dodgy’ tyre on the other rim and see if you have the same problem.

Northwind

If it’s coming through the sidewalls, it’s not the rim. And only likely user error would be if you didn’t properly shake the sealant bottle. I think maybe a little more patience would sort it- if it stays up for long enough to do a ride, then do more rides, it’ll most likely stop after a couple.

Not really a fan of Squabbly TLR- it’s weird, I got better results with their pre-TLR snakeskins.

martinhutch

Mounted the ‘good’ RR on that rim (because I’d got fed up and wanted to ride it!) – no apparent problems so far, certainly not pinhole leaks.

Did give the sealant bottle a good shake before chucking it in….so all in all, wondering if I got a dodgy one.

Perhaps I’ll give it another go in a month or so. If I’d paid full price rather than 20-odd quid for it, I’d be a bit more annoyed, I guess.

gee
    Free Member

There was a batch that did that.

GB

martinhutch

There was a batch that did that.

But did they just take longer to settle, or should I be ringing up On-One?

tazzymtb

mount the tire, fill with spaff, shake and leave resting horizontally on a bucket or similar for an hour or so, seals all of one side, shake like a monkey boy, stick more air if needed and do the other side.

martinhutch

mount the tire, fill with spaff, shake and leave resting horizontally on a bucket or similar for an hour or so, seals all of one side, shake like a monkey boy, stick more air if needed and do the other side.

Pretty much did this, including the monkey boy bit.

retro83
    Free Member

I’ve had this pinhole problem with a TLR Nobby Nic before. Eventually got it sorted by pumping it up to 40 PSI, riding it for as long as possible then pumping it up again. It’ll now hold air for about two or three weeks. The other one (same model, bought at the same time) went up straight away and only ever needed 5-10 PSI top ups even after not being ridden for a couple of months.

Makes me wonder if there is a bit of a QC problem with the sidewalls.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I used the Snakeskin tubeless ready Nobby Nic’s. Both went onto Crest rims without tyre levers and are still up 3 weeks later. The non Snakeskin Schwalbes i’ve used in the past have all leaked from the side walls. The Snakeskin ones haven’t.

gee
    Free Member

That batch was dodgy – I never had any but they were around. Probably worth a call to On one – they shouldn’t do that.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

Not really a fan of Squabbly TLR- it’s weird, I got better results with their pre-TLR snakeskins.

Have them on two bikes, been through half a dozen tyres, never had so much as a drop come through a sidewall. Sounds dodgy to me,

mastakillah
    Free Member

What sealant are you using?
    We had problems with Schwable tubeless tyres, sent 3 sets back to Fishers before we could get a set to stay up.
    Latex sealants (Stans) worked best in the end. The older Bonty super juice was no good apart from in bonty tyres.

martinhutch

I’m using Stans.

mastakillah
    Free Member

I’d say they need to go back then. Sorry!

geoffj

glitter

Rorschach
    Free Member

Does’nt matter what you roll them in.

martinhutch

glitter

Will make my garage floor look like a glam rock disco.

So I’m in…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘You choose: Defective tyre or defective user?’ is closed to new replies.