Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You can stuff your Audi S3…
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

…and get a Volvo.

Pretty much the fastest thing I have ever seen 😯
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD-nre2Y54Y[/video]

tinybits
    Free Member

It’s OK for a Volvo to go fast as everybody knows how safe they are, so that cancels out the speed.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Of course!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6If166dMg_4[/video]

hora
    Free Member

Volvo have ‘form’. Previously the test driver hadn’t been told that the system wasn’t turned on and he crashed it 😆

iolo
    Free Member

Going 300kph is bloody fast. The road is as straight as an arrow. Let’s see what it would be like against the CBR1000 on a circuit or country lanes. The volvo wouldn’t see the bikes arse for dust.
    The S6 was not a new one and looked pretty standard.
    Good work on the volvos acceleration mind.

Drac

That’s pretty insane.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Let’s see what it would be like against the CBR1000 on a circuit or country lanes. The volvo wouldn’t see the bikes arse for dust.

Interesting question. I was having a chat with one of my pals (who runs a R1) the other day about what would be faster on a windy, undulating road, somewhere like the Glenshee to Breamar route. His opinion was that without a doubt the car would be far quicker through the corners. On the straights it’s usually bikes (unless you have a volvo!) but through ‘typical’ uneven corners a car would be quicker.

tinybits
    Free Member

Not so sure about that iolo, bikes are great at accelerating / overtaking, but heavy braking and cornering, cars will keep them at bay (assuming it’s a sporty car).

somouk
    Free Member

Let’s see what it would be like against the CBR1000 on a circuit or country lanes

On a circuit the bike would win no doubt, on British country lanes which are pot holed and have damp drain covers the car would typically be a winner.

tinybits
    Free Member

I think there was also a TopGear Porsche v’s CBR600 test around Thruxton, where the Porsche won. Standard 911, not a turbo. Appreciate an R1 / CBR1000 is going to be faster, but then so is that Volvo!

Drac

It was Ariel Atom V’s CBR600

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA[/video]

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I love Volvos pretty much one of the best sleeper cars you can can buy.

I have an S60 T5 pushing 320bhp/400nM which shifts and have just ordered FMIC / 3″ DP / Intake etc etc for my S40 T5 which should take it to 310bhp/505nM.

Volvo for life!

rocketman
    Free Member

There are quite a few capable cars on my rides around the Peak District and Staffs Moorlands. Big Audis little Lotuses and everything in between.

The *only* time the bike has an edge is acceleration

One can get away with a lot in a modern car – stand it on its nose going into a corner, boot it on the exit and the tech will sort it out.

Try that on a bike and you’ll be sliding down the road alongside it on your arse

buck53

Nine times out of ten car will beat bike with similar performance figures (0-60 etc.) due to how hard they can brake into corners and how deep into the corner that hard braking can continue compared to the bike.

Good illustration of this in the lap records at Cadwell Park.

dogbert
    Free Member

My pal was a car mechanic and would tell me stories all the time of people coming into his garage with insane cars and taking him out for a “spin”

One guy who had an M3, somewhat derestricted and the engine massaged a bit. He got caught up in a duel with a guy on an R1. The biker said there was nothing in it till they got to a roundabout and that’s when the M3 had him. The bike just couldn’t take corners like the car could.

Unfortunately the biker was killed a few weeks later on a blind hill. His own fault really, a car came out a side Road however the data logger had read 147 at the time of impact

birky
    Free Member

Most bikes are now limited to 300kph/186mph.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IteniLcLImU[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTAUV1Yj4NE[/video]

bigyinn
    Free Member

What!? No handwringers saying how that sort of speed is dangerous, irresponsible and they should save it for the racetrack?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

What!? No handwringers saying how that sort of speed is dangerous, irresponsible and they should save it for the racetrack?

Its a volvo, it’s a Turbobrick full of airbags of course it’s safe 😛

More Volvo own’ing

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K58-77BZUks[/video]

wwaswas

I do miss my Amazon. Although it wouldn’t have worried any Ferraris for speed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Let’s see what it would be like against the CBR1000 on a circuit or country lanes.

You can pick your course to favour anything over anything else. I bet my Orange 5 is faster than a CBR1000 on some courses.. 🙂

Northwind

As above, Honda observe the 300km/h “limit” so top speed challenges are daft, basically the car wins when the bike is no longer interested. It’s like racing someone away from the traffic lights and keeping on going up to 100mph when they stop at 30mph, and declaring yourself the winner 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-Acp2Dz8Zeo[/video]

You could go old school Volvo 8)

nicko74

I have an S60 T5 pushing 320bhp/400nM which shifts and have just ordered FMIC / 3″ DP / Intake etc etc for my S40 T5 which should take it to 310bhp/505nM.

FWD? How does it handle the torque?

prawny

They did car v bike round Cadwell on 5th Gear a few years ago too, only something sensible(ish) like a Civic Type R IIRC, but I think the Civic still won, the bike blitzed away at the start but they can’t carry the corner speed due to a fundamental lack of wheels 😉

Edit – Found it, the bike won, but not by much. So I still stand by my point. Whatever it was.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDTLtwSS7fc[/video]

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 rocketman. I’ve got an R1 and have had it flat out. I did a lamborghini day and was a bit “meh” about the straight line acceleration, but breaking and cornering the car wins hands down.

Except you cant get your knee down however fast you corner a supercar, and they can’t wheely, so bikes FTW.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

FWD? How does it handle the torque?

The S60 is FWD, it does have a tendency towards wheel spin and eating tyres and I have had it wheel spin in 4th when its been greasy out… However when it does get the power down it does shift rather.

The S40 is AWD so hopefully better, but i’ll let you know in a month or so when I’ve bolted all the bits on and put the tune on. The next stage after that is a K16 turbo from a Focus RS and 415+ bhp, however that realistically needs forged internals, bigger fuel pumps / injectors, oil cooler etc etc so a big step up.

Northwind

I’ve got a scabby mondeo with about 2/3ds that much power and even that’s a bollocks to get the power down 😆 If I had 320 brake I’d never go anywhere.

PiknMix
    Free Member

That Volvo is el rapido!

richmtb

300hp through the front wheels is perfectly possible, an LSD helps a lot though.

My Leon has about 260hp and an open diff. In the dry it will accelerate cleanly in 2nd gear without any issues, in the wet the front wheels will bounce along the tarmac in 3rd. I tend to the leave the traction control on in the wet! Torque steer isn’t really an issue, you can feel a slight tug at the wheel accelerating hard in 2nd but its easy to correct.

I remember when the older shape Civic Type R came out with 200hp, everyone thought it was bonkers for an FWD car, but the Focus RS has already broken the 300hp barrier, with quite a few compromises admittedly like useable steering lock. The new Cupra 280 shows you can get plenty of power through the front wheels too in a more subtle package.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’ve got a scabby mondeo with about 2/3ds that much power and even that’s a bollocks to get the power down If I had 320 brake I’d never go anywhere.

The S60 is currently back in the UK in my parents careful hands…

I keep getting reports from friends who regularly see my 72 year old father racing everything he can off the lights. The last set of front tyres (ok prob 70% tread left) last about 2000miles / less than a year in his ‘care’. And don’t even get me started on the fuel economy…

richmtb

The S60 is currently back in the UK in my parents careful hands…

My dad is 64 and drives my brother’s old “lightly” modified Octavia VRS, he also finds it hard to resist tormenting local youths in gary’ed up Corsas.

It needs a new clutch apparently

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I get Facebook messages (yes, he’s on facebook, it’s terrifying) from him along the lines of:

“such and such was alongside me at the lights the other day, pulled off a lot faster than I expected them too…

…they still lost”

and my dear mother wonders where I get it from…

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘You can stuff your Audi S3…’ is closed to new replies.