Viewing 22 posts - 201 through 222 (of 222 total)
  • "you can ride this time but next time you'll need a lid….
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

Klunk, no I don’t, but I do question the mentality and thinking behind it.

Klunk
    Free Member

you’ve been bitching about it for 6 pages, get over yourself.

popartpoem
    Free Member

JHC … I was reading this during breakfast yesterday and thought

its your choice not to wear a lid, but their choice not to ride with you if you’re not wearing one.

simple

they have just as much right to make that choice as you do yours. just about sums it up.

… nope, the whittering continues … 🙄

oldgit
    Free Member

I have to ask, those that don’t wear helmets do you insist your kids don’t wear helmets also?

Just read some of the things certain club riders are responsible for. Under my duty of care I’d want youth riders to wear lids, and I’d be pretty pissed off if senior riders didn’t lead by that example.

You can fire off your arguments, BTW how many times have you severely hit your unhelmetsed head? I’ll just say that when ‘that’ time comes you’ll be glad you had a lid on.

donsimon
    Free Member

As I said, I’m taking a fairly high risk by riding on the road and I think anyone that does serious road miles does the same. If I have an accident it’ll be me being splatted by a landcruiser or I’ll be a stain under the wheels of an artic. A helmet simply won’t offer protection from by far the most likely cause of my untimely dimise.

My sincere apologies, I hadn’t realised (really I hadn’t) that this was a debate about the safety issues of a helmet. Your opening line of

First and foremost I DO NOT want another helmet debate as it’s getting dull.

must have confused me.

GW
    Free Member

I have to ask, those that don’t wear helmets do you insist your kids don’t wear helmets also?

No of course not.

BTW how many times have you severely hit your unhelmetsed head?

unhelmetsed? WTF? at a guess I’d say a few less times than you. 😛

oldgit
    Free Member

unhelmetsed

Obviously they didn’t do the job 100%

RealMan
    Free Member

Except the risk of slipping and banging your head on the road is tiny compared to being taken out by a motorised vehicle where a helmet will have negligible effectiveness. The activities aren’t the same, the risks aren’t the same. The two aren’t comparable.

This is just silly. I’m calling troll, and I’m out.

_tom_
    Free Member

Don’t have kids but if I did I would probably both wear a helmet for all riding, and insist they did the same..

kilo

oldgit – Member

Just read some of the things certain club riders are responsible for.

Not got kids so if i had would I?, don’t know maybe because their bike handling skills and roadcraft may not be as advanced, maybe not because nobody wore helmets when I was a kid and I don’t know anyone who ended up in a wheelchair as a result. and whatever my desicion the fact that I choose not wear a helmet on the road would not change if I decided they had to

I lead runs in a road club, I organise mtb runs for the same club and at work, I organise the club tt series – my only liability is ensuring the tt’s meet the agreed risk assesments. I am not repsonsible for people on club runs, it’s their choice to ride along with me there’s no payment, contract or agreement that I’ll nanny them along.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I insist my kids (4yrs and 5 yrs) wear a helmet and I have to lead by example.
    If any other kids want to ride in our group and they don’t have helmets they are simply told to f off.

donsimon
    Free Member

If any other kids want to ride in our group and they don’t have helmets they are simply told to f off.

Be very careful with this strategy as they are likely to come on an online forum and start complaining.

oldgit
    Free Member

I will say I’m using a fairly basic lid at the mo, after the Giro smashing. And it is a bit pants, it’s not making me sweat but I do get a nice waterfall effect with it, and it also has a weird ‘bit’ at the front that got in the way of my vision.

fasthaggis

Realman
    Fear not,help is at hand …..>

This

Seems that the main types are Tosserlad,Rimetosser and Ringlefinch 😯
    Brilliant 😀

trailer

GW
    Free Member

I insist my kids (4yrs and 5 yrs) wear a helmet and I have to lead by example

Why do you have to lead by example? I manual most of the way to School with mine without a helmet on while they do, they also can’t manual.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Unfortunatly the research show no significant reduction in head injuries, massive reduction in people cycling and hundreds of extra deaths as a result of people stopping cycling

You should pop down Rotorua way, or any school bike shed in nz for that matter then come back with the statistics of the “massive reduction” in cycling caused by compulsive liddery. Sure didn’t look like it last time I looked, in fact quite the opposite. Anecdotal definately … But then 92% of statistics are made up anyway.

falkirk-mark

maybe they did not want to ride with you again and knew you would be childish enough to spit the dummy if they insisted you wore a helmet

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    D0NK

I struggle with long sentences but after the first page I really cannot beleive the flaming the OP is getting. Club rules is club rules, up to them and you can’t really complain. Some guy sued his club after ending up disabled after a crash, I bet all club rules have been tightened up since then.
    However helmet choice is still personal preference and should remain so (IMHO) all the cycling organisations I know of are anticompulsion. I know that Cracknell dude wants it coz a lorry driver hit him on the head but not sure why he’s not campaigning to get lorry drivers not to hit cyclists instead 🙄 Get hit by a car at 30mph and your inch of polystyrene aint going to do you much good. So can we chill with the “you’re a retard if you don’t wear a lid” comments.

for the record I wear a helmet pretty much all the time off road and mostly on road too but that’s to (maybe) help protect my head if I do something stupid and fall off not to protect me against 1 tonne of speeding metal or to absolve drivers of responsibility.

Oxboy
    Free Member

I would just put one on, get on and enjoy the riding.
    It’s not about what you wear / don’t wear its about the ride!

razor1548
    Free Member

Kids wearing helmets to ride on the road defeats natural selection horribly. If they really can’t do it then we are much better off without them whether you like it or not. 🙂

vancoughcough
    Free Member

But then 92% of statistics are made up anyway.

you just being funny right?

Viewing 22 posts - 201 through 222 (of 222 total)

The topic ‘"you can ride this time but next time you'll need a lid….’ is closed to new replies.