Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 222 total)
  • "you can ride this time but next time you'll need a lid….
  • fourbanger
    Free Member

….as we have a no helmet, no ride policy”

First and foremost I DO NOT want another helmet debate as it’s getting dull.
    That out the way; I met up with a new group of road riders today in my normal gear which doesn’t include a lid (on road). I was told they’d let me of this time but couldn’t ride with them again without a helmet.
    I’m just trying to get my head around how my personal choice of PPE effects anyone else in the group in any way. I wouldn’t comment on someone elses choice of protective kit, it’s down to the individual with what they feel keeps them safe IMO. Can someone shed some light on this?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Perhaps they just dont want to be associated with the kind of nob head that doesnt wear a lid?

philconsequence
    Free Member

its your choice not to wear a lid, but their choice not to ride with you if you’re not wearing one.

simple 😀

they have just as much right to make that choice as you do yours.

surfer
    Free Member

I DO NOT want another helmet debate as it’s getting dull.

Then dont start another one

binners

You didn’t have baggies on did you?

wwaswas

is it a club? do they have liability insurance? does it only cover them if riders have helmets?

if you don’t like it/their attitude ride with someone else?

I feel more comfortable ridign with people with helmets, tbh, if only for the selfish reason of not wanting to hold their brains in until the ambulance arrives if they come off.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

its your choice not to wear a lid, but their choice not to ride with you if you’re not wearing one.

This.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If they decide that to be in ‘their club’ you have to wear a helmet then so be it, their choice. I suppose you could question their reasoning for this?

staralfur
    Free Member

You barely even notice a helmet when it’s on, just wear the damn thing!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Nice guys…

honourablegeorge

Because if you split your head open, they don’t want the hassle of dragging you to the hospital.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“I feel more comfortable ridign with people with helmets, tbh, if only for the selfish reason of not wanting to hold their brains in until the ambulance arrives if they come off.”

Thats a stupid comment.

As is this

“Because if you split your head open, they don’t want the hassle of dragging you to the hospital.”

binners

Ssssshhhhh. He’s helping purify the gene pool

DezB
    Free Member

I’m amazed! Roadies! Insisting on helmet wearing? Whatevernext?

thomthumb
    Free Member

did you ask them?

trb
    Free Member

Becuase if you sustained an avoidable head injury (however statistically small the chances may be) they would be the ones who had to deal with the consequences

Or maybe it’s just their rules and rules is rules

Or maybe they took offence to your hairstyle

philconsequence
    Free Member

Good point, are you ginger? 😕

alfabus
    Free Member

Bit more surprised that they let you get away with it ‘that time’.

Surely if they have a ‘no helmet, no ride’ policy, that includes the first ride, otherwise what is the point.

Dave

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Maybe they were just a bunch self righteous know it all pricks.

greeble
    Free Member

I’ve seen this happen on the cwmcarn uplift. the driver of the van lets guys use the uplift even though he has no helmet

fourbanger
    Free Member

Strangely for a pre-dawn start there was no compulsory lights rule. Free ride so nonliabilty issues I can think of. Looking for constructive comments rather than abuse for my personal choice of PPE thanks.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nice guys…

You should see the flameing I got for suggesting a £1800 bike should be built to last longer than 15 rides.

But yea, most clubs have that policy. Either for insurance reasons or I’d imagine because they want to encourage the youngsters to wear them, which would be hindered by you trying to look all cool and edgy not wearing a helmet. Stick to the man!

binners

They’re roadies! What were you expecting 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

Looking for constructive comments rather than abuse for my personal choice of PPE thanks.

you do know this is STW ? 😕

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Perhaps. Probably better than being an unself-confident know nothing at all vegetable after you’ve fallen off and banged your head.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Becuase if you sustained an avoidable head injury (however statistically small the chances may be) they would be the ones who had to deal with the consequences”

If you have an accident where a helemet reduces injury, then its more than likely that some other part of the body will be injured too. Or do they turn people away who are not wearing full body armour?

fourbanger
    Free Member

I do end up with a helluva bouffant to be fair. You may have a point.

wwaswas

Will you go again and wear a helmet next time?

scruff
    Free Member

Does the OP wear of those stupid Rapha roadie caps like wot erasure wore in the 80’s (whilst watching Torchwood)?

Junkyard
    Free Member

easy their Phil I think you [ and me] would struggle on the haircut debate.

Constructive – well it is their club and it has rules [possibly due to liability insurance]. I suggest you find another one that agrees with your choice.

njee20
    Free Member

Probably better than being an unself-confident know nothing at all vegetable after you’ve fallen off and banged your head.

Sir you are on form today!

This sums it up most eloquently:

Get over it.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Pro riders are forced to wear helmets now too.

Sounds like another helmet debate to me… tbh, if you dont want to wear a lid, dont join the club, personal choice and all that….

fisha
    Free Member

As already said.

their club, their rules ( which aren’t unreasonable imho )

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you have an accident where a helemet reduces injury, then its more than likely that some other part of the body will be injured too. Or do they turn people away who are not wearing full body armour?

Probably not, because form a first aid point of view it’s a lot easier to deal with a broken arm than it is a broken arm and a fractured skull? An the other hand, it’s a whole lot less effort if the person is dead as well.

philconsequence
    Free Member

sorry junky, i have a ginger niece now…. still have to shower a couple of times and use alcohol gel after handling her, but i’m getting more comfortable around orange people 😉

GrahamS

I prefer riding with people who wear helmets, because they go faster and take much bigger risks, which is much more fun 😈

Junkyard
    Free Member

with you compassion and sensitivity you did choose the correct career choice. I salute your dedication to Equality and diversity.

curlie467
    Free Member

I ride mtb night rides which are organised by a local shop, you have to sign waiver forms and must wear a helmet to ride with them.

I dont see the problem personally, if you dont want to wear a helmet then dont and ride with someone else.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

From a First Aid point of view both are treated exactly the same way ie you stop and ring 999….

and there are plenty of other ways to die than hitting your head.

philconsequence
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

i’m all about equal opportunities, once made friends with a short person and everything! for bonus points the short person is from turkey.

anyway, back to helmets… as i said above, you makes your choices, they makes their choices. its all gravy baby x

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 222 total)

The topic ‘"you can ride this time but next time you'll need a lid….’ is closed to new replies.