Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Yorkshiretrackworld. Boltby routes help please.
  • colournoise

Thinking about trying the route below and after some local knowledge.

It’s relatively short at around 20km or so. Any good extensions etc. Locally that are worth taking on to it? Gut says there ought to be places to play in Boltby Forest?

And how’s it hold up round there in the wet?

TIA.

whitestone
    Free Member

Most of that is now part of the red route at Sutton Bank but mostly in the opposite direction. The bit through Boltby Forest isn’t on it. The red climb at the top (north) of the route is better as a descent. From memory the bits in Boltby forest that follow that bit were pretty muddy.

Someone else might know if there’s better lines through the woods.

The Sutton Bank “trail centre” is a sort of halfway house between fully marked trail centre to find your own way so there’s some marking but not a lot.

martinhutch

I did a descent from Steeple Cross to Brickshed Cottages in Boltby – I think it might be part of the Sutton Bank red route (remember seeing some markers) – that was worthwhile, or at least it was one of the highlights of the dullest ride I managed to find last year (mostly to the north of your one)! Not sure how it will run in the wet, though.

whitestone
    Free Member

Correction – Just looked at the 1:25k map, the muddy bit was in the trees just above Brickshed Cottage. The bit in the main forest was just a plain track from memory.

pennine
    Free Member

From 8 go north 1/4 mile to BW on right. Steep singletrack drop into Thorodale. Track through woods to Arden Hall then west back up to meet your route again.

colournoise

Thanks pennine, that looks worth considering.

Morning bump too.

tomwardill

This is a regular route for me, it’s reasonable.
    The ‘good descent’ that is mentioned in the guide has been chewed up by horses and can now be pretty boggy in the wet. The rest of it is pretty typical for the area, some lively but not too much gradient single track and some fireroad type climbing.

It’s my preferred route over the Sutton Bank ones.

Also, go here: http://www.highparadise.co.uk/ which is just off the route on the way back (or back along a bit from the recommended car park). Nice cafe and _much_ better than the one at Sutton Bank.

rsvtoddy
    Free Member

The descent from 4 that drops down into Boltby is very muddy and as a resident of Boltby is one I avoid unless it is VERY dry, it’s not that exciting either!

Out of choice I would carry on past Boltby scar then drop down the extended blue route through the quarry (turn just before the building at High Barn). You will then meet the road just before point 6 before heading into the forest.

There are some unofficial off track bits in the forest but they are very hard to find. The route mapped should be fine but not very technical or challenging.

Also agree with the comment about the cafe at High Paradise being much better than the one at Sutton Bank.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshiretrackworld. Boltby routes help please.’ is closed to new replies.