Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Yorkshire Wine – can anyone help?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I read an article yesterday about the great crop of grapes in Yorkshire (specifically the vineyard outside York) this year, and that the wine has previously won awards over worldwide competition.

So – I would like to see if I can get a bottle for my wine loving and fiercely proud Yorkshireman brother – anyone know where it is available? I tried Google but could only find wine retailers with 'Yorkshire' in the their title.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ryedale – that's the guys – thanks for that. Email on its way to them 🙂

teagirl
    Free Member

Have you asked Bob Wright at Wright Wines in Skipton, he knows his stuff.

amodicumofgnar

Wine – suddenly the Yorkshire diet it going up market.

atlaz
    Free Member

If it's anything like the "award winning" wine down in Surrey, it's awful. Give it a miss.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well – it has to be worth a punt on a bottle or two. Local businesses and all that…

ransos
    Free Member

Some English wine is very good (e.g Nyetimber and Camel Valley) but most of it is unspeakably awful. But as you say, you'll only lose the price of one bottle in finding out.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I have drunk and got drunk on the cheapest of Greek wines – if I can do that, I am sure I could force some English stuff down too.

🙂

Pook

+1 for Camel Valley. Went wine tasting there and it was lovely. I recommend the Atlantic Dry.

😉

Carlton
    Free Member

Leventhorpe wine

I've tried some of these and they were very good too…

RichPenny
    Free Member

What have you had that was awful Ransos? Had some Chapel Down red that was quite good, interesting wine but overpriced IMO. Surely Yorkshire doesn't have enough sun for the grapes to ripen 😉

ransos
    Free Member

Had some Chapel Down red that was quite good

I didn't think so! Not impressed by Denbies or Three Choirs either. They weren't undrinkable, just waaay overpriced. So I probably should have said "unspeakably awful for the money".

On the other hand I heartily recommend Nyetimber sparkling – I prefer it to NV champagne. Camel Valley Atlantic Dry and Sparkling also good.

headfirst
    Free Member

howzabout this?

domino

Went to a lovely restaurant attached to a butchers shop somewhere – lovely meal but ruined by the Three Choirs red we ordered. I keep looking out for Nyetimber, would like to give it a try.

therealhoops
    Free Member

There's no way you'll stop the whole of Yorkshire moaning.

ransos
    Free Member

I keep looking out for Nyetimber, would like to give it a try.

I think they sell it in Waitrose.

domino

Ta ransos – nearest one isn't that near anymore but will look next time i'm in Harrogate or Otley. If you like your fizz then Cloudy Bay – Pelorous is nice.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

nearest one isn't that near anymore but will look next time i'm in Harrogate or Otley.

Have you tried Fodder down behind Sainsbury's on the GY Showground? It looks very nice – will have to go down and splurge sometime…
    FODDER

ransos
    Free Member

If you like your fizz then Cloudy Bay – Pelorous is nice.

Thanks!

I'll be in New Zealand next February. Just in time for the Marlborough wine festival…

woodsman
    Free Member

Yorkshire wine – Timothy Taylor landlord, surely!? 😉

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Yorkshire wine – Timothy Taylor landlord, surely!?

And Sam Smiths, and Rooster's and Terrier (although now owned by a Lancashire Brewery) and Theakston's and Black Sheep and….

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Wine – can anyone help?’ is closed to new replies.