Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Yorkshire True Grit 2018
  • hardtailonly

Just signed up for this. Anticipating riding my Pickenflick with 42c Conti AT-Ride tyres (same tread as the Conti Cyclo X-Kings).

But, is that the best tool for the job. Other options would be SS rigid HT or 150mm FS … The former sounds like too much hard work, the latter too much bike.

I’ve done the Dirty Reiver twice and the 3PCX, as well as plenty of local playing on the trails, so am comfortable with the idea of CX/gravel bike … Anyone done those events too and can advise what to expect that is the same/different?

breninbeener

We have entered. Mrs is riding a Moots Routt with gravelking 38mm. I have a Genesis Datum with clement xplor 36mm.

I hope they will be ok. Other options are HT mtb…

hardtailonly

Just the three of us then breninbeener?! …

There must be others out there with wisdom to offer?

staffo
    Free Member

I did the long route last year on a Planet X London Road with Schwalbe g-one 35mm, finished in the top 30, and I felt pretty beaten up at the end. If I was doing it again this year in similarly dry conditions I would probably use the same bike with 650 x 42 WTB Resolutes tubeless at 25/30 psi.

There were a few sections I had to walk mainly due to the rough terrain but also due to fatigue. You will walk less on a hardtail and fly down some sharp descents on a full suspension but overall I think you will be faster on the Pickenflick if it’s dry. If it’s wet and muddy I would probably ride a hardtail but maybe not a single speed. Having said that a couple of single speeds did pass me on a rough climb.

It’s a great route and the organisation is excellent. I will definitely do it in the future.

hardtailonly

Cheers Staffo … That’s the kind of stuff. Think I’ll avoid SS this year, maybe give it a thought in future years. Pickenflick it is then, will try and get it set up tubeless.

fooman

Take whatever bike is going to be comfortable for a few hours riding, I get less fatigue on a full suss – I finished inside top 30 on my 150mm trail bike with the rear tyre pumped up to 35-40psi to keep me quick on the flat. Great post event atmosphere with a free beer and live music, might stay over if I do it again. (FYI front Maxxis 2.3 High Roller II 25psi rear 2.25 Crossmark II my year round do-it-all combo)

ton

when is this please

richwak
    Free Member

Just a few days to go and it looks like it will stay dry…..

this will be my first long distance off road event so would appreciate any info on the average time taken in previous years so I can make sure I have enough food and water.

hardtailonly

@richwak … Can’t offer any specific advice as this is my first True Grit so not sure what to expect.

TBH, thought there would be a bit more discussion on this thread …

I’m doing the Outlaw and hoping an average of 20 km/h is realistic, putting it at 5-6 hours …

Anyone travelling back to (or near) Leeds on the Saturday evening? Toying with the idea of riding up Friday and bivvying over. Need to be back in Leeds Sat night, but don’t fancy the ride back after the Outlaw …

breninbeener

dry would be ace! its a Genesis Datum for me…i will be riding with Mrs B if i can keep up. we are rather excited!

cocker
    Free Member

hardtailonly,i’m heading back to wakefield after the outlaw on saturday if your stuck

goslow

Full sus trail bike for me without any changes to tyres etc. As for average speed, I don’t manage much more than 20kph on a road bike so I guess it will take me a long time.

wind-bag
    Free Member

Gritfest for me, unfortunately falls on the same weekend as I would have liked to attend the True Grit event.

Pyro

How’d everyone get on? Trails were dry, weather wasn’t too warm yesterday, though I’ve been out to check the signage on the Stampede route this morning and it’s getting warm!

cocker
    Free Member

absolutely loved it,had a fantastic day

really well organised

hardtailonly

Brilliant event. Have done the Dirty Reiver and 3PCX before. Tougher than half a DR. Not as full-on as the 3PCX, but gets close in places, and longerer!

Difficult to work out what was the quickest/best bike. Seemed to be MTBs and Gravel/CX in equal measure. MTBs definitely had the edge on the couple of sections of rocky/rutted Singletrack descents and on the significant sections of choppy rather than groomed gravel/slatey double-track. CX/Gravel made up ground on the smoother gravel/dusty sections, the climbs and the tarmac. My Pickenflick (700x42c rubber) was out of it’s comfort zone a surprising amount, but overall preferred over an MTB. Gravel bike with 650b X 2″ rubber and something like a Lauf fork would be the ideal bike I reckon …

breninbeener

it took us 7.15. I was wishing for bigger tyres and some suspension. At times i couldnt brake hard enough and my hands were in bits.

I clearly need to toughen up!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire True Grit 2018’ is closed to new replies.