Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Yorkshire Ripper dead
  • woody2000

Good. That evil bastard terrified me as a child and made me think my mum was going to be next. Here’s hoping there’s a hell.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Don’t hold back, say what you really think. 😁

zippykona

Thought someone had already killed him.

dannyh
    Free Member

Thought someone had already killed him.

Stabbed him in the eyes with a Biro if memory serves.

MoreCashThanDash

I don’t like to celebrate the death of others but he was truly evil. Shame the sexual motivation for his crimes was never properly used in evidence at his trial.

I’m never comfortable with society’s fascination with such evil people, partly because I’m just as guilty of it. How could anyone fundamentally “just like me” do those sort of things?

bikerevivesheffield

Rot in hell

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I’m never comfortable with society’s fascination with such evil people, partly because I’m just as guilty of it.

You had me worried for a second there. Had to reread your post twice to get the actual meaning.

ElShalimo

I’m a leftie,  liberal rapidly approaching 50 so I remember when his reign of terror was coming to an end. I think that rehab is often better than punitive measures. However he should have been hung up at the abattoir by his scrotum and let bleed to death in a slow, unimaginably painful way. He should now be cremated and his ashes thrown into landfill.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I can remember as a kid listening to a recording of someone claiming to be the Yorkshire Ripper, after a number was published in the newspaper, when we were living in Simister in the late 70s. Having just googled this, sounds like it was the hoax “Wearside Jack,” who was apparently was convicted in 2006 of perverting the coarse of justice through this recording and some letters.

Sutcliffe was evil personified, Friday 13th couldn’t have got to a much better start than his death and Cummings announcing his departure.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Aye when the radio announced it I said ‘about bloomin time’. Can we try and pick out some other serial killers and cough in their general direction too?

woody2000

Likewise ElShalimo, but I have no compunction in wishing the very worst on that vile piece of sh*t.  He triggered a primal fear in me that had me terrified of going upstairs on my own, I was in constant anxiety that my mum wouldn’t come home.  Was referred to a child psychologist at one point it was that bad 🙁

Him and Maggie will be burning together now 🙂

fingerbang
    Free Member

I heard in a podcast that it emerged much later that he wore a jumper upside down on his legs, his legs thru the sleeves, when he went back to revisit the corpses. I think he said it was so he wouldn’t chafe his knees but refused to be drawn on the issue. It’s speculated that this was when he was kneeling over the bodies to y ‘know

fingerbang
    Free Member

Who’s gonna present dancing on ice now?! (Fnar fnar)

P-Jay
    Free Member

Who had £5 on Friday the 13th 2020 being a good news day? You’d be rich!

First Cummings leaving now this.

**** Him, I hope Hell exists.

dannybgoode

I was very young when he was at large V (only 4 or 5) but I distinctly remember the teachers at my nursery school being quite terrified.

He was arrested not very far from the school and I remember the relief of the staff at the news.

Like others I am not one to celebrate death but I’ll certainly not be shedding any tears.

chestrockwell

Good.

Still remember people being scared by his crimes when I was young, women being afraid to go out.

I read a book about his crimes years ago and found out one of his favourite drinking holes was in my town as well as one of the crimes (luckily she got away) taking place where I used to live. It still chills me now.

Rot in hell you piece of sh*t.

fingerbang
    Free Member

You don’t have to go far to find someone affected or with direct contact in the north

I went to Lupton flats in headingley on my first year at Leeds uni and everyday I walked past the patch of grass where he killed Jacqueline hill, his last victim.

Also, tenuous connection, but lived in Marple and ran into Len battersby a lot, who famously discovered one of the victims

Edit: Les battersby ie actor Bruce jones

ashmonkey
    Free Member

I worked in Broadmoor once. They would move groups of inmates from building to building, sounding an alert so contractors like me could get out of the way.
    You’d see the group all walking along with Guards, eitherside.
    Sutcliffe had a strange habit of refusing to walk with all the other inmates. He’d stride a few feet ahead of them, stop and wait to be overtaken by the group then stride ahead again and repeat. The guards told me he’d always refused to walk with the others
    He was a spooking looking bloke indeed, even before I knew who he was..

MoreCashThanDash

You had me worried for a second there. Had to reread your post twice to get the actual meaning.

Yeah, just read that back, sorry.

djglover
    Free Member

We met Richard McCann at work a few weeks ago, he is the son of the first victim and has become a motivational speaker. He described in detail the evening his mother died, and the devastating impact it had had on his childhood and early adulthood very poignant.

Trimix
    Free Member

A chap I new back then worked as a chippy, he made a fortune fitting extra locks to doors and windows on all the new housing estates that were springing up, this was in Northamptonshire. Shows the terror spread far and wide. He was working 7 days a week doing it.

poolman
    Free Member

I used to work for an oil company that employed delivery drivers in the north east. When the hoax tapes were sent in to the police, all the drivers had to be recorded reading out the script. They were effectively confessing to the crime on a recorded tape, to the police.

Anyway, when the true hoaxer was found, wearisdejack, the tapes of the drivers confessions were never returned. I know a few drivers were concerned that the script they read out was a confession to police.

A colleague also bumped into Sonia Sutcliffe on the iow ferry.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Him and Maggie will be burning together now

Only on stw could Maggie Thatcher be associated with the Yorkshire ripper.. 😂

Cletus

My mother was from Doncaster and I can remember the aura of fear around the place when we visited despite being too young to really understand what was going on. I do remember the joy/relief when he was finally caught – a very real cloud had been lifted.

His cause of death is given as COVID-19 – I am a little surprised that the virus made it’s way into a maximum security prison.

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

Hopefully my username is a bit less tasteless now

perchypanther
    Free Member

Nope. Still tasteless.

ransos
    Free Member

However he should have been hung up at the abattoir by his scrotum and let bleed to death in a slow, unimaginably painful way. He should now be cremated and his ashes thrown into landfill.

I don’t think any of us are saddened in any way by his death, but I find it disturbing when people react to sadistic murderers by fantasizing about sadistic murder.

leondemille
    Free Member

don’t remember him, don’t think about him, don’t give him that.

This is an excellent book about the people who we should be remembering.

Coyote
    Free Member

I don’t think any of us are saddened in any way by his death, but I find it disturbing when people react to sadistic murderers by fantasizing about sadistic murder.

This.

Philby

I grew up in North Leeds and remember well the horrendous impact he had on the city and in particular women living in the city.

I used to work at the Original Oak pub in Headingley for 4 years when I was back home from university – his last victim Jacqueline Hill was murdered about 400 metres away behind the Arndale Centre and earlier a doctor from Singapore, who was in Leeds on a course, was attacked by him less than 100 metres from the Original Oak and fortunately survived. One of the female bar staff lived right opposite the spot where Jacqueline Hill was murdered and we used to drive her home and make sure she was safe before driving away – also used to drive other female bar staff home as well. Driving home after a shift at the pub meant frequently being stopped by Police roadblocks, and the Original Oak almost became a surrogate HQ for the Police after both the doctor and Hill attacks.

Sutcliffe was caught when I was away at uni, but I remember driving to the Original Oak for my first shift of the Christmas holidays when I was back in Leeds and going past the Arndale Centre and thinking something was out of place – it took a few moments to realise it was a woman stood on her own at a bus stop, something you had rarely seen for a couple of years in that part of Leeds.

Having seen a couple of programmes recently on the hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper it staggers me about the sheer incompetence of the team leading the enquiries, with a number of non-fatal attacks being dismissed as not being committed by the Ripper and ignored despite the victims providing very accurate descriptions of what later turned out to be Peter Sutcliffe.

He will not be missed or mourned!

MoreCashThanDash

A chap I new back then worked as a chippy, he made a fortune fitting extra locks to doors and windows on all the new housing estates that were springing up, this was in Northamptonshire. Shows the terror spread far and wide. He was working 7 days a week doing it.

Iirc there was another series of sex attacks down that way around the same time. Family in Bucks/Beds had extra locks installed.

Bunnyhop

Vera Millward was one of the victims. She was murdered outside the Manchester Royal nurses home.
    I was a teenager at the time and visiting a student nurse friend that very night. My boyfriend at the time was a young police constable and he made sure we were safe (not letting me visit on my own).
    This same boyfriend was on ‘ripper duty’ a couple of years later. What he and other officers would do was sit in unmarked cars and write down all the vehicle reg plate numbers, hoping they would get a match to with sightings of other cars on other nights. This was laborious work without computers and all science we have today.
    Many times the chance to catch this man were passed. It took many man hours and a ridiculous amount of police time to get him.
    I remember at the time how horrific these murders were and because of my boyfriend I got to hear some of the gory details. I hope Peter Sutcliffe rots in hell.

twonks

One of my families very dodgy claims to fame was that as youngsters, my dad and Peter Sutcliffe were friends.
    For about 3 weeks apparently, until my dad realised there was something wrong with him !

Not quite sure but I believe they were around 10 or 12 at the time, and living in Bingley, West Yorkshire.

Sadly my dad isn’t around to hear this news – I’m sure he’d be happy.

ayjaydoubleyou

don’t remember him, don’t think about him, don’t give him that.

Aye – the top three articles on the website of my scummy tabloid of choice all featured him this morning.

One last day in spotlight was just what he wanted.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Firstly I’ll caveat my next comment by saying I can fully undertand why he won’t be missed etc etc but..

All this talk of ‘he was evil, I hope he rots in hell’. Understandable, but surely the guy was severely mentally ill. Normal folks just don’t do that kind of thing.

Just offering another viewpoint, and certainly not defending his actions in anyway, nor will I shed any tears for the man.

PrinceJohn

All this talk of ‘he was evil, I hope he rots in hell’. Understandable, but surely the guy was severely mentally ill. Normal folks just don’t do that kind of thing.

Just offering another viewpoint, and certainly not defending his actions in anyway, nor will I shed any tears for the man.

I do agree with this.

Like you I won’t shed any tears, & hopefully we have learned enough from him so that no one will ever be able to commit a similar volume of crimes.

pennine
    Free Member

My wife used to walk past his house twice a day before going to uni in London in 1979. I worked for a company with 35 drivers who regularly delivered in the North East. However, all were Bradford lads with a Yorkshire accent & didn’t fit the description. Driver records were checked to see when & where the drivers went. Can’t remember much about the police visits now.

matt10214
    Free Member

I was a young lad living on the outskirts of Sheffield when he was caught.

I hope it was a very slow, lonely, painful death he suffered and i’m not the slightest bit sorry.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I know very little about it and wonder what motivated him?

kennyp
    Free Member

I hope it was a very slow, lonely, painful death he suffered and i’m not the slightest bit sorry.

I won’t shed a tear for him but equally hope I never reach the point where I want a (almost certainly severely mentally ill) human being to die like that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Yorkshire Ripper dead’ is closed to new replies.