Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Yorkshire Dales (probably Settle) route planning required!
  • richardkennerley

Possibly going on the Dale’s rail in a few weeks for a day out. Been a few times before, but not for a few years now. A mate of mine goes regularly, he’s a keen walker.

Anyway, I can get on the train relatively close to my house. It heads up to the Settle-Carlisle line.

I can jump off with the bike, ride around a bit and get back on, either at the same station or somewhere else along the line.

I’m thinking Settle so I’m not on the train for hours and hours. But, for example, I could get back on the train at Dent or Kirby Stephen.

Anyone got some “essential” routes for anywhere round there, or some recommended, not to be missed trails? What would you do if you had all day around that area?

Doesn’t have to be super gnar, just after a relaxed, fun day out.

Dale’s rail is a long day out, picks up 8am-ish and drops back off 8pm-ish. But not looking to cover huge miles, want plenty time to take it easy and stop back at a boozer for a slap up meal and a couple of pints 😋

BenjiM

There’s the classic Settle Loop, out up constitution hill and over to Malham. You can drop down into Malham for a pint or two, maybe over to Kilnsey via Mastiles lane and back up Arncliffe Cote to Malham Tarn. Maybe drop to Malham after visiting Kilnsey to be honest, than back up the Cove road and back over to Settle.

dangeourbrain

How about this one?
    I’m weird and prefer it the other way around but it is a good old fashioned mtb ride either way

MTB: Settle Loop

thecaptain
    Free Member

Possibly a better ride than just doing the Settle loop would be getting off the train at Dent, then you’ve got a great route pretty much due south starting on Great Knoutberry, cross the B road at Gearstones and then cross back again just south of Selside, head down Crummackdale and through Austwick and Feizor (cafe stop). Nothing gnar but it’s a great day out and you’ll barely touch tarmac. A few detours possible if you want longer. Or do it the other way, in which case I’d suggest going via Long Lane up from Clapham which is a nice steady climb.

martinhutch

Settle and Horton (and maybe Ribblehead) are perhaps the only stations on that section which are good for making up a loop. Settle loop is obvious (descend Stockdale Lane). From Horton you can go over into Crummackdale and back round via Borrins to descend from Birkwith Moor, or a circle round Pen y Ghent via Foxup.

I often do a point to point ride using the train to get back – the Pennine Bridleway runs past or close to pretty much all the stations. It’s about 40 miles from Settle to Kirkby Stephen to give you an idea. Check the wind direction first!

chestrockwell

You could start at Settle, head over on the traditional route to Malham Tarn, then to Wheets Top, drop down to Hetton, over Sharphaw to Skipton then get the train from there?

richardkennerley

over Sharphaw to Skipton then get the train from there?

Fraid not, I’m on a specific train ticket so Skipton’s out. The dales rail actually starts in Blackpool early morning, heads out past Preston, Blackburn, clitheroe then on to the settle Carlisle line, picking up a load of ramblers on the way. Does the return journey in the evening.

I’ve done the standard settle loop before I think; thinking I could extend that. I’m just not sure what’s a drag and what’s worth doing. Or if something like thecaptain’s point to point suggestion would be better. I’ve got the map out to do some plotting.

Also need a pub recommendation. Would usually rely on my rambler pal to tell me where to meet him, but he can’t make it the day I’ve got in mind.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Id do the dent to settle option with tea in the golden lion settle (it’s in town centre so don’t know if they’ll have somewhere secure for your bike).
    As thecaptain above
    Round great knoutberry hill
    Newby head gate
    Black rake road
    Gearstones
    Cam end
    High birkwith
    Pennine bridleway
    Across b6479 near selside
    Thieves Moss (2 or 3 options from here)
    Long scar
    Long lane (or head to Wharfe)
    Thwaite lane
    Near austwick
    Feizor (cafe is good)
    Giggleswick scar
    Settle

martinhutch

For the above route, you can stay off the Ribblehead-Hawes road altogether by crossing it at Newby Head, carry on with the Pennine Bridleway and climbing to Cold Keld Gate. This is weirdly still marked as a FP on the Ordnance Survey, but it’s definitely bridleway. Also avoids the gravelly slog up from Gearstones, which is a bit soul-destroying.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve only been down that route Martin, so decided not to suggest it as wasn’t sure how it would go as a bike climb and it was a few yrs ago. I presume it’s part of a permitted way negotiated by sustrans or ydnp or similar, is it a Pennine bridleway section or something?

richardkennerley

I’ll have a look at that route on the map this evening 👍

Train drops at Dent 11am, picks up from Settle 18:30. So I reckon I want to be in Settle no later than 4 for a relaxed tea time!

Greybeard

This is weirdly still marked as a FP on the Ordnance Survey, but it’s definitely bridleway.

OS actually marks the footpath, but doesn’t mark the adjacent track which is the bridleway and occasionally follows a slightly different line. See North Yorks Council Map for clearer distinction.

martinhutch

Thanks @Greybeard.

It’s a pretty steady climb, preferable to the slog up from Gearstones.

@richardkennerley

Train drops at Dent 11am, picks up from Settle 18:30. So I reckon I want to be in Settle no later than 4 for a relaxed tea time!

I did this route as far as Helwith Bridge, just north of Settle, in 2hrs 30 or so, and was back in Skipton inside 5hrs, so you’ll be fine. If you’re running short of time at the foot of Crummackdale (Wharfe), you can just turn left and follow fast minor roads around and down in about 40 mins.

chestrockwell

Any links to this route for Komoot, Strava, etc?

richardkennerley

I’ve just been plotting it on a paper map, annoyingly it’s on the wrong side and the bit close to helwith bridge is on a different map! 🤣 Gonna map it into Strava route planner later, see how long it comes out at.

This is all weather dependent and motivation on the day dependent. I’m not strictly a Fairweather rider, but if the weather is Minging, it’ll be a grim affair as I’m stuck in wet gear until I get home about 9pm!

thecaptain
    Free Member

Here’s a strava trace if helpful:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3079539988

think it’s public…

You can easily extend if you want – e.g. there is a ridable legal bridleway down through Cam Woods that isn’t on any map but is clearly signed. So that would take you (briefly) down into the top end of Langstrothdale.

As for pubs, the Talbot Arms has a beer garden (and a better selection of beer) so you could keep an eye on bikes that way. Weather permitting 🙂

richardkennerley

@thecaptain – thanks for that, very helpful! Looks like you had a good day for it 😎

slowpuncheur

I can thoroughly recommend the Thieves Moss to Wharfe section and the cafe at Feizor 🙂

chestrockwell

Thanks Captain.

thecaptain
    Free Member

In case anyone comes back to this, I’d also suggest Kirkby Steven to Settle as a longer route if Dent is a bit short. Head up the Eden valley to Garsdale Head and then continue as before. I’m going to do this myself in a week or two (having just ridden from Appleby on the parallel road route). Top end of the Eden valley is also really nice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.