• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by mrjmt.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Yorkshire cycling ( sometimes) holiday.
  • oldfart

Thinking of a week up there , wife wants to go to York and a few other places . She also wants to take our bikes and do some cycling around quiet lanes , roads , gravel tracks etc . Just wondering where would be a good cycle friendly reasonable cost place to stay , need to be able to charge her E Bike as well .
    Do I remember a cafe with accommodation and a bike shop out in a village somewhere or did I imagine that ?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dales Bike Centre in Reeth is probably the place you’re thinking of. It’s a fair ride from York though.
    Lots of the old MTB trails have been sanitised to death so good for gravel rides. There’s not that many ‘quiet lanes’ as in tarmac.
    I’d be inclined to head over towards Helmsley where there’s lots of gravelly Wolds stuff, quiet(er) lanes, the NY Moors & York within easier reach, plus the coast if you fancy it.
    I can’t recommend any specific accommodation I’m afraid.

Dales Bikes is worth a visit for the cake alone mind! & Stuarts a top bloke too.

oldfart

Cheers , I’m guessing we are going to be going to York , Whitby etc by car , the cycling will be separate days .

slowol

We’re you thinking of the Yorkshire Cycle Hub in Danby. Cafe / Bike Shop / Bunkhouse.
    Might not be luxury but the cafe does good coffee & cakes and the view from the terrace is great.
    Good cycling and quiet lanes but very hilly (bring a bike with a triple chainset for the road riding).
    For evening food the pubs in Danby are good (Welly in Danby and Fox and Hounds in Ainthorpe are both 10 minute drive). Not been to the pubs in Glaisdale or Lealholm in the other direction but probably OK. Teas shops in most directions for bike ride fuel, Whitby is about half an hour (once out of Fryup) but a bit further to York.
    https://www.yorkshirecyclehub.uk/

Mackem

Helmsley, Pickering or Thirsk?
    Easy enough to get into York and coast.
    Right on the North Yorkshire moors.
    Dalby forest / Sutton bank nearby.
    Nice places.

Dont know about accomodation or bike charginf though.

(There seems to be a lot of caravan parks round here though, might be ok)

oldfart

Good info so far thanks everyone

ahsat

Would go with Helmsley, Pickering or Thorton le Dale areas (Thirsk a bit penned in by main roads and Sutton Bank). Good flat quiet lanes in Vale of Pickering away from busy traffic (the lost lanes route is good), lots of nice gravel locally, good walking over the moors, about 45 mins or so to York/coast. Loads of accommodation options, and many a coffee shop.

MoreCashThanDash

We were up at Filey over Easter, I’d agree with the Pickering, Helmsley, Thornton suggestion. York is easy enough, as is the coast.

Interesting looking trails at Sutton Bank and at Dalby – we didn’t have bikes but did some nice walks at both. There’s an old railway route (Cinder Track?) somewhere on the coast, might be Scarborough to Whitby?

damascus
    Free Member

I’d also suggest Helmsley or pickering so your in the middle.

I’m currently loving riding over the tops by the RAF base (Fylingdales) and exploring all the gravel roads and bridleways on the moors

There’s also Rosedale round on the old railway track, part of the coast to coast route to Dalby forest via hole of hurcum which is a great ride.

vmgscot

Pickering has a fairly new Premier Inn if that meets your cost/requirements. GF wheeled her ebike into the room for charging one of the days without challenge.

nbt

Premier Inn and Travelodge both say you are welcome to bring CLEAN bikes into your room. I’m always happy to stay at Premier Inn. Again, would echo the Pickering area suggestion

mrjmt
    Free Member

I reckon the wolds would better suit what you’re after, have a look around millington, the ramblers rest tea room also does bed and breakfast.
    Plenty of beautiful views along very quiet roads and there’s plenty of gravel stuff too and it’s also easy enough to get to York.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.