Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • York mid week break.
  • beltaine
    Free Member

We’ve booked a three night mid week break in York, mid summer. Apart from the Yorvik centre can folks recommend things to do and see ? And also decent pubs with decent beer/ places to eat ?
    Thanks.

Harry_the_Spider

Railway Museum.
    Castle Museum.
    Punch up with that unit in the orange slippers at the pub by the river.

Philby

Walk round the walls
    York Minster and there’s a few other interesting and ancient churches in the centre which are worth a look if you like that sort of thing
    Afternoon tea at Betty’s Tea Rooms
    Castle Howard (15 miles north of York and location for Brideshead Revisited) and some lovely villages in the vicinity

white101

Brew York have a tidy little beer garden/courtyard.

johndoh
    Free Member

Evil Eye is great for evening cocktails.

The Maltings is great for real ales.

Lendal Cellars is great for an unusual venue.

MoreCashThanDash

Is the air museum thing open?

Head to Pickering and take the North York Moors railway to Whitby.

hotstuff
    Free Member

Do one of the ghost tours, they’re a hoot and can be quite informative.

Kryton57

Brew York

This may have been the place I went to, small bar or garden but with a 6 x half-pint taster. That was a great afternoon becuase Mrs K ordered one too and then we both remembered she not long become pregnant and couldn’t drink…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The merchant adventurers hall is also worth a visit.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Some good suggestions above.

The Lamb & Lion Inn has a nice beer garden right next to the City Walls.

The river cruise is okay or rent your own little red boat.

If you’re looking to head out of York for the day, the Howardian Hills has some nice walking.

martinhutch

Apart from the Yorvik centre can folks recommend things to do and see ?

Yorvik is extremely overrated for the price. It would be towards the bottom of any list I was drawing up for York activities.

ahsat

The hairy fig for a lunch of fine hams and cheese, and the chance to come home with all sorts of yummy vinegars etc
    The wall walk is definitely worth doing

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

You can’t really go wrong with a decent place to drink – the whole town centre is one massive pub crawl now. Just wander around and dip into anywhere you like the look of.

Open top bus tour gets to see most of the sights easily, wander around the Minster, Railway Museum is brilliant (but I’m a bit of a train geek), plane museum out at Elvington is ok if the weather is decent, walk around the Bar Walls, walk along the river to Rowntree Park, wander around the Knavesmire… loads and loads of stuff to do and see within the inner ring road – just wander around.

fasthaggis

York is ace, it was a perfect place for us to train there and back from Jockland. We took the bikes and spent one of the days going out round the wee villages on the Escrick side.
    As said above, great place to just wander about and if you time it right, there will be less Stag n Hen hordes going around ,so you can avoid the carnage and punch ups at the stomach pump bus.;-)

coiffuredchimp
    Free Member

If it’s open again by that point then I’d thoroughly recommend the cold war bunker especially if you’re of a certain age!

fossy

We popped to York for a couple of nights in August for our 25th – couldn’t go anywhere, and it was within covid regs. Lots of Walking, meal at the hotel actually. York Gin is worth a visit – we ordered an engraved bottle.

This was just as all the ‘apps’ came in for ordering drinks (covid) – took about 10 minutes to get a drink sorted in one micro bar, and we were sat next to the bar – couldn’t just tell them what we wanted. We didn’t visit anything other than have a good walk round the walls and called in a couple of pubs. Hopefully you’ll be able to do more.

beltaine
    Free Member

Fantastic, thanks everyone for suggestions!

johndoh
    Free Member

The Lamb & Lion Inn has a nice beer garden right next to the City Walls.

Yeah good shout – the beer garden has some great views. It has recently changed hands though so I am not sure what it is like now (but knowing the owners other outlets I am sure it will mean prices going up).

the-muffin-man

I’d not waste time in the Jorvik centre.

MoreCashThanDash

I’d not waste time in the Jorvik centre.

And queuing for it. Unless you have small kids who really want to go.

slackboy

Cycle the Solar System | Astrocampus (york.ac.uk)

I’d cycle from the Sun to Pluto and back again. its about 15 mile round trip and has scale models of the sun and each planet at correct (relative/scaled) distances along the path.

Philby

Also York’s Chocolate Story might be worth a visit.

igm

We now have posh food too! (if you like that sort of thing)

Couple of decent ones.

https://www.rootsyork.com/
    https://arrasrestaurant.co.uk/
    https://www.lecochonaveugle.uk/
    http://buongiornoyork.co.uk/

Actually food in York generally is spectacularly better than 10 years ago – from pubs, through tapas, to Michelin.

beltaine
    Free Member

So…back from our 3 night break in York. What a place, we both loved it ! Good pubs, good food too. Walking around the city walls was brilliant, also we enjoyed the North Yorkshire Moors Railway to Whitby and back.
    A big thanks for your suggestions !

Philby

Really pleased to hear you both had a great time in York! It’s my favourite city and used to visit it a lot when younger as I grew up in Leeds – I now live in Bristol and haven’t been up for a few years, but this thread has reminded me that I must go back soon.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘York mid week break.’ is closed to new replies.