Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Yoofs – what time do you show up to a "gig"?
  • DrJ

Well, I pitched up halfway through the support band and I can confidently state that Apothek are not the Next Big Thing, though they did take themselves very seriously. Susanne Sundfor did not disappoint, though, despite the punters showing the entire range of antisocial antics catalogued by lemonysam and DezB – you have to wonder what some people have in their heads (or in their bloodstream, I suppose).

Koko is less of a hole than some places – at least you don’t have to queue up to pee in a sink. Number 31 bus was my mode of transport.

konabunny
    Free Member

Countzero- or the 3rd type, who turns up early, stands at the front for 5 minutes, disappears to the bar for 2 hrs while the support bands are on and then expects to have ‘their’ place back when the main act starts.

😆

I went a gig once where someone tried to reserve the square metre of floor space next to her “because my mate’s coming in a few minutes”. The band was already playing!!!

DrJ

I went a gig once where someone tried to reserve the square metre of floor space next to her “because my mate’s coming in a few minutes”. The band was already playing!!!

There was a guy in front of me who kept trying to reserve the square foot of space I was standing in by backing into me on a regular basis. I couldn’t move back even if I wanted to, owing to a large pillar, and he seemed miffed that I shoved him back.

Northwind

DrJ – Member

Well, I pitched up halfway through the support band and I can confidently state that Apothek are not the Next Big Thing

Pff, I said that of some random boring support act I saw at the venue. Coldplay 😆

vickypea
    Free Member

I was at a concert with Mr Pea and his daughter. We were near the front for the support band. Then, as the main band came on, this really tall, broad bloke pushed his way through and plonked himself right in front of mr pea’s daughter who was only about 5 feet tall, totally blocking her view. I asked him politely if he’d let her stand in front of him since he was so much taller but he swore, refused, and spent the entire concert staring at me and shoving me. I stood my ground like a firmly planted tree!

Sandwich

People who say ‘excuse me’ as they try to stand in front and look surprised when I say no, there’s no room! 14 year old daughter (who was petite sized) and a huge crowd, there was no way anyone was getting between us.

DrJ

Pff, I said that of some random boring support act I saw at the venue. Coldplay

Hmmm … well …

on a tangent – do rubbish support bands sound rubbish because they can’t yet afford decent equipment? Or because they are just rubbish? The aforementioned rubbishy Apothek sounded like they were playing through a muddy wellington, but maybe under other circumstances they would sound OK?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Go and see the support act! I don’t always, but that’s because I’ve seen too many gigs… But some of the bands I love, i only know because of support slots.

or when the support changes to someone really good.

I thought i would see daughter supporting (quite like) but i turned up to see willy mason (**** love). 😛

grum
    Free Member

Who was Willy Mason supporting?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

do rubbish support bands sound rubbish because they can’t yet afford decent equipment? Or because they are just rubbish?

The support band will use the same PA system as the main band. The headliner will get the best soundcheck and have a lot more mics running, but if the headliner sounds great and the support doesn’t, then there’s a fair chance it’s the sound the support are making an odd sound. This can be because they are using cheaper on-stage kit or that they just aren’t as good.

One way to tell if it’s sound or band is to pop some earplugs in – that takes the volume away and you can really hear what they are doing. Some bands sound great, some crap and you can really tell who can sing and who can’t!

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Yoofs – what time do you show up to a "gig"?’ is closed to new replies.