Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Yeti SB66 – talk me out of it!
  • collinstiffee
    Free Member

I went for a play on a Yeti SB66 yesterday and it was fantastic. Looking to get a frame rear shock and strip the Cove for parts.
    I’ll be honest I don’t need it, but I really want it…

munkyboy
    Free Member

Heavy, questionable main bearing? Lbh they are pretty stunning

mrblobby
    Free Member

SB95? And you’d need to change your username (assuming it refers to the Cove.)

duner
    Free Member

I had one for about 6 months, main bearings (big switch link ones) wore out after 3 and cost me £60 to replace, lower eyelet bush only lasted a couple of months as well. Paint chipped off really easily. Shock wasn’t progressive enough without a volume reducer.

Good stuff- geometry was excellent, nice long TT. Looked amazing. Was easy to strip down frame and replace bearings!

After owning many multi pivot bikes I’ve now got a Heckler, 2 bearings with a lifetime warranty. Can’t tell a lot of difference with the suspension action. If you look at the amount of movement in the switch link on an SB66 its not a lot, I can’t see it really making that much difference to the way it rides compared to a single pivot. Just over complicated for the sake of it and not very compatible with mud.

Rorschach
    Free Member

There’s a LOT of 2nd hand ones flying about……

pinetree
    Free Member

Heavy, questionable main bearing?

You mental? at 6.5lbs including shock, it’s half a pound lighter than a Nomad, 1/4lbs lighter than a Bandit, and a whopping 2Lbs lighter than the Banshee Rune!

duner
    Free Member

Aluminium SB66 is about 7.5lbs I think, certainly felt heavy compared to the heckler and my old Mondraker Dune

geordiepaul
    Free Member

That’s the carbon one. Alloy is pretty heavy. I have a carbon and love it. Bearings were improved in the 2013 models, I believe they’re now Enduro twin race and reports suggest that the problems have gone.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

alloy didn’t feel sooo heavy. if the problem is gone, reduced I’m edging toward a buy. does anyone know if there is anything weird about the required head set or ancillary components? for forks I’d be looking to use a set of 150 mm sektors and most of the kit of the Cove Stiffee.

it’s true i’d most likely have to change name….

geordiepaul
    Free Member

All standard stuff. Tapered headset, alloy is qr or 142 rear carbon in 142 only.

bwaarp
    Free Member

The new 2013 Mega? Not had a single reliability issue with my 2011 frame. It depends if you can get on with the looks?

I’d be looking at a:

* Lapierre Spicy 916 Carbon frame
    * 2013 Nukeproof Mega
    * Norco Range Killer B
    * Specialized Enduro Evo

But not all of those come as framesets and most of them work better with 160mm forks. So I’d actually be looking at a 140mm frame if you want to use a set of Sektors.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

so. if i want to fit a non tapered 1 1/8 I assume this is available….

bwaarp
    Free Member

Yeah headsets are available to adapt non tapered 1 1/8th to just about any headtube diameter.

DougD

look at the hope pick and mix headsets then just get the right bottom cup

Ibis Mojo HD; a completely different league.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

the sektor is the 150 mm travel. also started sideways glances toward the Cove Foreplay…
    i think i have a fever.
    may have to have a cup of tea and a lie down.
    thanks all. lots to dream about…

bwaarp
    Free Member

Ibis Mojo HD; a completely different league.

Depends what your after, the geometry isn’t to everyones taste.

kiwijohn

Don’t think. Do it.
    I love mine.

stewartc
    Free Member

Happy with mine and no bearings issues to date (late 2012 SB66c model), get it.

pomona
    Free Member

Have 2 friends with one (1 alloy, 1 carbon) and they both love them despite the fact they’ve been back to the shop 3 times for warranty issues. 1 cracked weld and 2 suspension issues requiring new rear ends.
    The guy with the carbon used to have an alloy but that also failed with a cracked weld.

Love mine- get it

ae212060
    Free Member

Got mine setup with a Double barrel air as the RP23 just blew through the travel.

Can’t comment on the bearings, but I do have a spare set ready just in case.

Paint does chip, but apart from that it rides really well setup 1×10 with a 34 160mm fork!

deanfbm
    Free Member

Mine’s pretty awesome.

Shock wasn’t progressive enough without a volume reducer.

This isn’t an issue on you heckler? Leverage rates on both frames is essentially the same, linear.

I run a large air volume spacer in my rp23, i like have the option to tune progressiveness to taste. Everyone has different tastes.

wrecker
    Free Member

You mental? at 6.5lbs including shock, it’s half a pound lighter than a Nomad, 1/4lbs lighter than a Bandit, and a whopping 2Lbs lighter than the Banshee Rune!

7.5lbs for the alu frame, which is heavier than the nomad alu.
    I’ve had a decent ride on one, it’s a good bike. A little long in the TT for me but that’s personal taste. My advice would be; try as many bikes as you can before committing (particularly the trannie Covert).

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

There’s a lot of 2nd handers because it’s a flash bike. A lot of people buy them becasue they’ll look flash, then move on to the next flash bike when they’re bored/can’t ride it.

irelanst
    Free Member

It’s got tiny little wheels.

wobbem
    Free Member
    geordiepaul
    Free Member

Just changed from a 150mm fork to 160mm, not ridden it like that yet. Might end up being a bit too slack for all days rides. Have to wait and see. I have a spacer to drop it back to 150mm

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I run mine @ 160. It’s great, but then I do prefer a bike a bit slack…

flamejob
    Free Member

How about my very cheap SB66?

I just got all my Specialized bits back from the cops so need to clear space…

[edit] Mine has had new improved bearings put in it[/edit]

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Yeti SB66 – talk me out of it!’ is closed to new replies.