Yeti SB66, ok to build up for all day rides for a cross country rider?

Home Forum Bike Forum Yeti SB66, ok to build up for all day rides for a cross country rider?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Yeti SB66, ok to build up for all day rides for a cross country rider?
  • Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Loads of people ride SPDs on long travel bikes, most pro DH racers use them now so they’re in fashion if anything.

Premier Icon stewartc
    Subscriber

Have SPD’s on my SB66c and use that for all day rides and visits to MTB parks, even did a DH park in it last month.

Premier Icon morebikes
    Subscriber

I have always been a cross country style rider, but am thinking of getting a bike with a decent amount of travel.
    This would be used for all day rides with technical sections and occasional trips to trail centres, stuff that does not suit the 29er hard tail race/long distance bike setup I have.

Would the Yeti SB66 build up ok for this, or is it to much for this sort of riding? May even stretch to the carbon version.

I would want to put SPD’s on it, is this allowed by the fashion rules or just wrong on this type of bike?

gavrobb

Morebikes – Same here, been an XC rider right down to the long stem and skinny bars but after fighting it I’m a convert after riding a Blur for the last year. Bars have got wider, stem shorter, travel increases etc etc.

I’ve just built up one of these (SB66) and loving it – the ‘All Mountain’ cliche is perfectly fitting. Climbs nicely and just planted on the descents. I find that a good bit of rear travel helps a lot in the climbs and overall comfort. This has genuinely ended up as the only bike I’ll use for everything. All day rides, trail centres and short blasts in the local hills. Can’t recommend it enough.

I’ll post a shot – built this up with a 650 front on it which I find helps a lot. It’s not helping an already slack head angle but I find I’m coming round slowly to this (the 650 front takes about another half degree off the already slack front)

And I just cant bring myself to ride flat pedals, SPD’s seem to be the only XC habit I cant see breaking.

All the best

ae212060

I have an SB-66, but come from more of a DH background. I ride road and cross as well though so I’m not adverse to a good pedal. I ride clips for anything other than DH days. Rides very well for an all rounder, but won’t be a patch on your hardtail 29er as the trails flattens out. As long as you don’t plan to do any XC speed epics you’ll love it.

You might want to try a few bikes before purchase. Maybe a Santa Cruz solo 650b could be the bike for you? http://www.pinkbike.com/news/First-Look-Santa-Cruz-Solo-and-Tallboy-2.html

I’d have thought the 66 (certainly trhe aluminium one) a shade on the heavy side for a trail centre bike.

Yeti ASR-5 might be better, or something in the Zesty/Five/Blur TR/Bandit bracket, 125-140 travel

Premier Icon kiwijohn
    Subscriber

Raced a 2 day stage race the week after I got it. Well you would, wouldn’t you.

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

ASR5 might be more up your street, worth riding both anyway. I liked the SB66 but its too much bike for what I ride.

geordiepaul

I found the alloy one to be a heavy beast in my size. I weight a Large in a local bike shop and it was close to 9lbs for frame and shock. Quite a bit more than the quoted. I opted for the carbon as a result.
    I ride it on all day rides, took a while to get the position etc right but it’s comfortable and reasonably light for the sort of bike it is, especially with the 36’s and the uber slack head angle Does everything really well and the wheels are the right size 🙂

Premier Icon johnhe
    Subscriber

What a wonderful looking bike. One of the best looking frames I’ve ever seen. Totally droolsome.

Premier Icon morebikes
    Subscriber

Thanks for the replies, some good thoughts there to keep me looking. Gavrob, interesting thoughts with the 650 front. Did you think of trying one in the rear or is it to tight?

Premier Icon stewartc
    Subscriber

If your still thinking SB66 here is mine, used for all-day rides, DH parks and everything in between (and with SPD’s).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Yeti SB66, ok to build up for all day rides for a cross country rider?’ is closed to new replies.