Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Yeti sb5C – Would you??
  • earl_brutus

Just spotted this whilst pissing about at work tryint to look busy: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/yeti-sb5-turq-x01-eagle-review/

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/yeti-sb5-turq-x01-eagle-review/

And whilst Im currently the proud owner of an amazing ASR5C which I’ve had now for quite a few years, Im in dilemma city of whether to go for it or not. Id buy it frame only and build it up from scratch.

The main problem is that the ASR5 has been perfect, so far, for all my MTB riding… will the SB5 be just a waste of money?

donncha

I did exactly this. I has ASR5C (still have it) which I thought was perfect. Then I built up a SB5C in 2015. It really is a step up and I the ASR5C feels like a toy compared to the SB5 which feels so much more solid and confidence inspiring. It feels like a bigger bike and is slightly heavier than the ASR5.

Happy to answer any questions.

However rumors are Yeti will be releasing a couple of new bikes on the 31st of August soI would hold off for a couple of weeks…

earl_brutus

Thing is I can get the current turq series frame for £2.2k (discounted due to the new bike release I guess) which is pretty much what the ASR5 cost back in 2011. How did it compare size wise, Im large asr5 and guess a large SB5 would fit ok?

donncha

I’m a medium on both. The SB5 has more updated geo but I’m guessing a large would still fit.

If I ride the ASR5 now it feels smaller and more XC orientated; that’s partly due to the build though (150 pikes v Fox 34, wider rims & tyres, etc.). The SB5 feels more solid & confidence inspiring to me with an excellent pedaling platform. There may better bikes for a  specific purpose for an all round (quick lap of trail center, all day in the hills, a bike park, etc.) ride I can’t fault it.

GolfChick
    Free Member

That’ll be why the yeti sb6 is discounted everywhere then. I wonder if the new one will have a proper bottle mount and be able to fit bigger than a 2.5!

submarined
    Free Member

Based on the warranty service one of my riding buddies got from Yeti when his 3k frame broke, not a bloody chance.

bigjim

I had an ASR5 too and rode and SB6, it was pretty mindblowing, so it’s a yes from me, though you are undoubtedly paying more than you need to because it’s a yeti. But it’s a Yeti!

. I’d wait maybe as there should be sale prices with 2019 bikes getting released soon. I thought the new yetis rumoured to death on mtbr yeti forum were going to be 29ers, not 27.

donncha

Looks like the 2 new bikes will be 29ers with 130 & 150mm rear wheel travel.

And, yes, they’ll fit a water bottle on the down tube if that matters!

earl_brutus

@donncha where did you find this info?

donncha

One source is:

http://forums.mtbr.com/yeti/my-crystal-ball-yeti-refresh-guess-lets-play-guessing-game-1080844.html

Pics floating about on Pinkbike forum & instagra.

Akers

submarined

Based on the warranty service one of my riding buddies got from Yeti when his 3k frame broke, not a bloody chance.

Based on my own experience, when the I had a couple of seized bearing in the pivots on my SB5c, they replaced the rear triangle no questions asked. I’d say they were pretty good. (Full discolsure: it took 4 weeks from initally reporting the issue to the retailer (tredz) to getting the frame back in my hands)

I never had an ASR 5 C but I do have a 2016 SB5c on my fleet and can confirm they’re very impressive. Brilliant all-rounder. Climbs very well, practically zero pedal bob, however it is even more impressive going downhill, very capable for a bike with ‘only’ 127mm of rear travel. Great bike to have if you have to do long technical climbs to earn your descents.

earl_brutus

Think Im going to go for it. I saw the new models for 2019 but they’ve lost the sexy curves and gone all straight lines, copying santa cruz I guess and also what happened to Marin. How GDFU is this:

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/501187/s/marin-wolf-ridge-8-29er-2019-bike/category/12527/

bigjim

yeah I thought the new ones didn’t look as nice as the current curvy ones but I guess water bottles are so enduro right now. Anyway it’s the ride that counts I guess!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Yeti sb5C – Would you??’ is closed to new replies.