Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Yeti SB5c – Double 2 x 10 chainrings
  • bolt7
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone out there knows if it is possible to run a 28/40 chainset on a Yeti Sb5c.

Currently running a 26/38 and I feel the 38T is not enough top end with the 26 being a bit too loose bottom end for climbs. I would rather utilise as much gears as I possibly can.

Noticed on the Yeti SB5c FAQs for a single chainring the Max you can run is a 38T but I am assuming this is on either a 1×10 or 1×11 set up.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

FAQs for a single chainring the Max you can run is a 38T but I am assuming this is on either a 1×10 or 1×11 set up.

If it’s a physical limit the fact it’s 1x or 2x won’t make much difference. If you have an old 40/42t from a triple you could see what the size looks like.

bolt7
    Free Member

Just a bit unsure as it says Single Chainring. My understanding was coming from that the Outer chainring would sit further out and it would fit but thats an assumption.

If I cannot get the set up I like on the 2×10 set up I might have to convert the lot to a 1×11 set up which I would rather not.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kahurangi

mikew – I think the OP’s point is that the chainline of the big ring on a double is further out, so may not clash with whatever it is that limits the size of a 1x chainring.

bolt7 – guess you might have to borrow/steal one (chain ring/chainset) and give it a try.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I get the thought, hence the suggestion of putting a big ring on to have a look, you should be able to put a ruler against the current ring and see what a 40t would hit.

bolt7
    Free Member

Will give this a try. I did see someone selling a Yeti SB5c strangely with a 40T single ring albeit it was a Raceface one.

Kahurangi

mikew, yeah, I may have skimmed over the 2nd half of your post 😳

bolt7
    Free Member

Phoned the UK Supplier this afternoon so they are also investigating it as it is something they have not been asked before.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Yeti SB5c – Double 2 x 10 chainrings’ is closed to new replies.