Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Yeti Big Top 29er
  • skywalker
    Free Member
    julianwilson
    Free Member

Blimey 😯

Hmmmmm, none of us would spend that sort of money on a hardtail, but if you built those mid-high end parts up all at full rrp:
    Frame: £1000
    Fork: £700
    wheels: £300
    Brakes: £250
    Drivetrain: oooh, easily £375-400 -the rrp on the cranks alone must be near £200 now.
    Post/bar/stem/saddle: £290-300
    Tyres: £80
    Headset: hard to tell what it is, but anything between £40 and £100
    Pedals/cables/seatclamp/tubes etc: add on another £70-80

As a very happy owner of high-depreciation 2005-vintage second-hand bikes, I am certainly not condoning spending that ridiculous sort of money on a custom build, but with my guesstimates there, I am only £300 off their RRP ‘estimate’ 😆

skywalker
    Free Member

An absolute rip off TBH

druidh
    Free Member

The frames are absolutely lovely, but no way could I justify that sort of money on one.

skywalker
    Free Member

I can’t see how they can justify charging £3375 for it?!

tazzymtb

if it sells, it’s justified….joys of a free market economy

same way that orange manage to sell a bike with cack components for silly money and folks lap it up 😀

skywalker
    Free Member

Bit of a lame comment, £2799 for a Five Pro and it has pretty much the same spec as the competition.

This is a HT with XT for £3375.

tazzymtb

or a gyro 29er for £2800 with slx bits, crap brakes and nasty wheels 😆

skywalker
    Free Member

Trust my thread to attract the window lickers.

wwaswas

It’s built as a demo bike.

At some point in the future they want to be able to sell it on ‘reduced’ to cover wear and tearby, say, £1k.

By setting an artificially high price now it gives them the opportunity to do this reduction and still make a bit of margin.

tazzymtb

aww bless, never mind darling when you grow up and can ride big wheels you’ll understand 😆

skywalker
    Free Member

I see where you are coming from wwaswas but that is the actual spec and RRP, although they are up for £3,195 elsewhere.

Still a **** rip off though

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Ha tazzy licks windows!!!!!

tazzymtb

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSAlGt9BZLY&feature=related[/video]

tis a great little tune

mokl
    Free Member

I’m not sure you can label something a rip off just because you think it’s expensive for what it is. There are, after all many alternatives if you are looking for a high end 29er. Just because you can’t see the value in it, doesn’t mean that the next man won’t. I am a keen bass player and there is similar talk on forums about the value of high-end bass guitars. Worth it to some, and not others. My most valuable bass is worth well in excess of that Yeti but I don’t think it was a rip off. I would never spend that on a bike mind you, although if I had the dosh….!

skywalker
    Free Member
    tazzymtb

yeh but the grumblefish is foul and heavy old boat made from recycled coke cans and the other has economy of scale on it’s side, but still as long as it re-enforces your narrow world view it’s all good.

singlespeedstu

Don’t buy it if you think it’s expensive.
    Quite simple.
    There’s loads of stuff out there that i think is overpriced.
    Others might think different though and it makes no difference to me or them.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

They are lovely frames, ride like a well thought out HT. I couldn’t justify that amount on one, but if I was flush and after a great fast HT it’d be very high on the list.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

You iz da window licka, its a hire bike. The charge is £50 per day, they are not selling it….is the website name not a clue? 🙄

skywalker
    Free Member

Tazzy, keep licking them windows mate.

Don’t buy it if you think it’s expensive.
    Quite simple.
    There’s loads of stuff out there that i think is overpriced.

So I have to be looking to purchase a bike before I have the right to think its over priced compared to other bikes?

They are lovely frames, ride like a well thought out HT. I couldn’t justify that amount on one, but if I was flush and after a great fast HT it’d be very high on the list.

I take it you have ridden one then Mal-ec, tell me more.

You iz da window licka, its a hire bike. The charge is £50 per day, they are not selling it….is the website name not a clue?

Oh look another one.

Do you realise how stupid you just made yourself look? 😆

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

You iz da window licka, its a hire bike. The charge is £50 per day, they are not selling it….is the website name not a clue?

+1

Its a hire bike, they quoted the total cost of the build.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Why get yourself all in a tizzy about a bike you obviously heve no intention to buy and by the sound of it think you wouldn’t like to own – life is too short!

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Skywalker, I thought you were a 29er hater yet you appear to be looking for 29er hire bikes, are you on the turn?

If you had two brain cells to rub together you would see that there is a tab that says bikes for SALE and bikes for HIRE, the Bigtop is in the hire section.

skywalker
    Free Member

Right, for the simple ones…

I see where you are coming from wwaswas but that is the actual spec and RRP, although they are up for £3,195 elsewhere.

Would you like me to say it again?

Why get yourself all in a tizzy about a bike you obviously heve no intention to buy and by the sound of it think you wouldn’t like to own – life is too short!

I am looking to buy a 29er, saw this and was wondering if anyone else thought it was overpriced.

Whats wrong with that?

Skywalker, I thought you were a 29er hater yet you appear to be looking for 29er hire bikes, are you on the turn?

I don’t think I’ve ever slated 29ers 😕

pop-larkin
    Free Member

I saw someone selling a house for over a million pounds the other day – I thought blimey that’s expensive- strangely resisted the temptation to post on the Internet about it- dam look what you’ve made me do now!

Alejandro
    Free Member

Looks awesome in the black. Bloody expensive but yeti are.

bigjim

Not sure what the fuss is about, it isn’t far off what the importer price is http://www.silverfish-uk.com/products/2568-2012_yeti_arc_-_big_top_-_race_xt.php?r=3m1d0b22s0

If it is any consolation I now have a Yeti, but by using wheels, brakes and forks off my old bike, spent about half of that. I could have spent the same on a fully built new Canyon of same spec, but I wanted a Yeti. I’m sure plenty of people will buy the big top 29er.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Ridden one a fair bit. Random internet opinion includes:
    Slack enough to be capable + fun on moderately technical trails, but not so slack as to compromise climbing/handling. Nice tight arse so not overly long or sluggish accelerating. Carbon + 29er wheel de-harshes the ride for longer hauls. American levels of clearance at the back so no big rubber, but the mud shelf doesn’t actually cause any bother at all. Seat tube bottle mounts means limited dropping, but 30.9 if you to go dropper post. Stiff enough, light enough, comfortable enough, nice long, low feel.

FWIW The feel of the bike reminded me of Trek ss 69er + my dusty memories of Pace RC200 back in the day.

Not sure its twice as good as a Solaris / SC alloy Highball.

tazzymtb

skywalker has gone quiet, is he off playin with lightsaber again? he’ll go blind and get hairy palms if he’s not careful at this rate 🙂

skywalker
    Free Member

I know Bigjim, I posted that it’s for sale elsewhere for that price.

Sounds good Mal-ec.

Tazzy you’re crazy.

Paceman
    Free Member

Some bikes are expensive, end of story, we don’t have to buy them 😉

skywalker
    Free Member

That’s for that useful insight Paceman 🙄

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Yeti Big Top 29er’ is closed to new replies.