• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by P20.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Yeti Asr5c v Pivot Mach 5.7c v Mojo Sl-r ~ Thoughts?
  • P20

I’m looking at replacing my ageing Yeti 575. There’s nothing wrong with to be honest, but after over 5yrs service, i fancy a new toy. The kit will be going across to the new frame. Fox Vanilla 140mm, 355’s on Kings, 3×9, etc. Its for trail riding, mainly xc, singletrack and longish day rides.

The things i like about the 575: Lightweight for travel, plush, handling/head angle, decent length toptube, looks
    The only real downside is the lateral flex.

My choices? If the ASR5 had been around thats probably the bike I would have bought when i bought the 575. The Pivot is the 1st non Yeti that i’ve seriously considered. The Mojo always seems to get good reviews. Equally i would consider the non carbon ASR/Mach 5.7.

So, thoughts?

P20

This is the 575:

Yeti 575 by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

sweaman2
    Free Member

Looked at this recently – For the same size the fit is quite different… for example a large Mojo SL has a top tube of 23.9inches while the ASR5c is 24.6 That was enough of a difference for me to find the ASR5c too long and to like the SL more.

I would say try a DW-link bike before you buy as well – for me it was a revelation (coming from an old ETS-X) but they’re not for everyone.

If you like Yeti’s then why switch? Can’t really comment on the Mach 5.7 I’m afraid.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Superficial
    Free Member

The Yeti sizing is a bit odd which is why I went for a medium ASR5 (I’m 6′; Yeti suggest a Large if you’re more than 5’10). I guess it depends what you want to do with it – it’s quite a versatile frame. If I was doing a lightweight race-ish build with 120 forks, then the large might have made more sense.

The ASR5 is less travel but slacker and stiffer than your 575.

I know they get a lot of great reviews, but I strongly believe the ASR5 is not for everyone. It basically forces you to be pinned all the time, and the suspension is fairly firm. For general riding this might come across as harsh and unrefined. You’re forced to pick lines better, and it’ll punish you for straying from your intended path. It’s not until you start going quickly it all makes sense – It’s a really stable platform and great for chucking around since it doesn’t wallow in its travel. I love mine but I’m sure there will be people who (if they’re honest with themselves) hate it.

I haven’t ridden a carbon ASR5 but I understand it feels very similar to the alu one, and the £600 price difference is hard to justify for 0.5lbs weight IMO, better to spend that on some wheels. Depends if you’re someone who needs to have the best, I guess.

The Mach 5.7 is a bit of a different beast. It’s got 25mm more travel, for starters.

toons
    Free Member

All very good bikes you’ve listed and all get good reviews.

Speak to Ride on Scotswood Road; see if they can get a demo Mojo SL-R.

P20

Cheers. In terms of size, i do like my bikes long. The current one is a medium and has a 110mm stem on it, i’m only 5’8″. Its just the way i ride my bikes 😆

Toons, didn’t realise Ride did mojo

toons
    Free Member

Also what about a Santa Cruz Blur LTc? That seems to get rave reviews

Think Ride are doing Santa Cruz now as well.

Kryton57

I know they get a lot of great reviews, but I strongly believe the ASR5 is not for everyone. It basically forces you to be pinned all the time, and the suspension is fairly firm. For general riding this might come across as harsh and unrefined. You’re forced to pick lines better, and it’ll punish you for straying from your intended path. It’s not until you start going quickly it all makes sense – It’s a really stable platform and great for chucking around since it doesn’t wallow in its travel. I love mine but I’m sure there will be people who (if they’re honest with themselves) hate it.

I’m sorry but as much as I believe in personal interpretation, I don’t agree with that first part of the paragraph. I have an ASR-5 and have used it for woodsy singletrack, racing and came back from a very dry Afan just yesterday.

More importantly is replaced an Intense Tracer and IMO, the ASR5 is far more comfortable, balanced and. controlled. The bike can wallow if there isn’t much pressure in the shock – but then so do most bikes in that scenario. It wasn’t harsh at all at dry, rocky Afan and has superb control, it doesn’t struggle off line.

Ride the DW link bikes though, the “feel” is very, very different to the Yeti setup.

P20

I think Keswick bikes have both Pivot and Yeti demo bikes available. A good excuse (as if one is needed) to head to the lakes!

xcentric
    Free Member

was going to buy a Zesty 714 then tried a Pivot Mach 5.7 (alu version) and whilst only around a car park (with some decent curbs in :-)) the DW link suspension was a revelation – lots of immediate surge forwards under power. Then found a Mojo (standard) at a great price and went for that, and love it – DW link excellent again, light and nimble. So, I’d happily have either of them. Not tried the Yeti.

In your position, with a great bike already, I’d want ot ride others for at elast half a day on decent (and typical for you) riding trails, before I got rid of something I liked for something ‘new’ – it won’t be ‘new’ for long, and so also needs to be better, else this could get expensive…..

honourablegeorge

“You lucky b*stard” is the phrase comign to mind. Not sure you can go wrong with those three.

Toasty

I found the Mojo a bit short and steep, haven’t tried the rest. I’d love to try a Pivot though 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Did you see the recent thread about the budget Mojo full bike?

honeybadgerx

Contemplating an SL-R myself, though also torn with saving my pennies a few months and splashing out on an SB66c, though might wait for a few more reviews on that bike first.

Bikescene in Guisborough have got a large SL-R demo bike, always had great service from them too.

P20

George, it’ll be on interest free, i’m not that lucky 😀
    Chapaking, I did see the thread. Its an interesting idea, i’d flog most of the kit though including forks and probably the shock to get an RP23.

Just looked over the geometry and the Ibis is looking a bit on the short side(nearly an inch shorter than the ASR) The ASR is the longest and slackest. The Pivot is half an inch shorter than the ASR, shorter than the 575

P20

I also can’t find the Mojo SL-R on mojo uks site 🙄 Its one the US one

honourablegeorge

P20 – Member

Just looked over the geometry and the Ibis is looking a bit on the short side(nearly an inch shorter than the ASR)

I came to the same conclusion on the Mojo HD – going from a large Spicy to a Large HD would lose me a full inch of top tube – I’d need an XL to keep a similar position, and I think the XL frame is actually heavier than the Spicy.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Only problem with the 5.7 is you cant really run any kind of chain-device or bash without going to 2 rings. So if you have a triple & wanted to run say a MRP XCG you couldnt. I dont know if this true of either of the other 2 bikes..

P20

I won’t be needing a chain device or bash for the mincing I do 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Yeti Asr5c v Pivot Mach 5.7c v Mojo Sl-r ~ Thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.