Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Yeti ASR 5 – show me how good they are
  • Recycler
    Free Member

Lets see these lovely rides and tell me why you like them

lehutch
    Free Member

Llandegla 2 by lehutch, on Flickr

Only had it a couple of months so still learning about this bike, but so far so amazing. It really does encourage you to ride faster as when you do speed up over rough terrain the back end comes alive, it seems to flex and float over the terrain as if its a organic thing. May sound odd but its the best way to describe it…..

DougD

Now 2 x 9 and with some carbon havens.

Bloody fast both up and down and comfortable for all day rides.

dan45a
    Free Member

Yeti ASR5c by dan45a, on Flickr

They are very good and very quick!! I use mine for trail centre ripping, uk gravity enduros and Xc marathons. Does it all very well. Not an uplift day bike though.

142×12 rear axle upgrade makes a big difference as well. The bike holds its line so much better.

P20

To The Pub And Hills by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Simply brilliant.
    Light, fast, stiff, comfortable, climbs well, geometry means it descends well.
    It’s my 2nd Yeti, my other was an old 575 and this is an improvement. It doesn’t feel as if you’re suffering due to the shorter travel, but it climbs and turns in better than the 575 and I was very happy with the 575

Recycler
    Free Member

They look great guys, what forks do you run?

dickie
    Free Member

And how tall on what size?

lehutch
    Free Member

140mm fox floats. I’m 6ft2 and ride a large

dan45a
    Free Member

I use 140mm fox float fork, on a medium, I’m 5’8″.

I have been thinking of fitting a bos deville at 140mm to stiffen it up a bit. Or perhaps a fox 34 if that can convert to 140?

pinetree
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 8″ and ride a small, with a 140mm fork.

It’s a truly awesome bike. You will not regret getting one!

boobs

They seem to make you ride flat out everywhere. I am not getting much life out of the front tyre though, and I’ve broken it! Really fun bike imo.

trailertrash

No-one got one in orange?

wilko1999
    Free Member

6’1 on a large, with 140mm forks. Just a seriously good fun bike to ride, light, nimble and there is something about it that makes me want to just mash the pedals and go flat out everywhere. It is happy just bimbling along mind, but really comes alive when you go for it.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Absolutely love mine. I always wanted one and I can’t think of any other bike I’d rather have. It’s super light and stiff (especially with the 142×12 chipset) and goes up, down and across everything with pace. I’m 6’1″ with a Large (Yeti’s recommended size). Like others have said I use it for everything apart from winter, training and exploring duties. A seriously great bike.

Brand spanking new…

Waiting to ride into Lonscale Fell two weekends back…

Things I’ve changed from new. Not much. I had to wait a couple of weeks after I bought it for the 142×12 chipset. A really good enhancement in my opinion. An XTR Shadow+ mech which is 4 rides in and so far seems to do the job nicely of not losing the chain and I’ve gone with High Rollers LUST front and rear.

I’d like a shiny pair of Crossmax STs like @dan45a too but they’ll have to wait for some time 🙂

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

O yes, I run 140mm forks on it too

P20

140mm Vanillas (they came off the 575, prefer coil forks). I’m 5’8″ on a medium

bigjim

Not sure if this will work from google. Now with gopping gold Joplin, but hey it was cheap. Forks now at 140 but have a feeling I preferred it at 130. Fantastic bike, most rewarding when pushed really hard, I’m barely good enough to get it to that stage though. Loves fast cornering for some reason.

davetrave
    Free Member

Have a look at this thread here, my thoughts about halfway down the page.

In sum though, riding a M frame with 70mm stem, 120mm QR15 fork, QR rear (although contemplating upgrade to 142mm) and built up relatively light (depending on wheels I use, between 24 and 25.5lbs) – it’ll do everything I want ranging from long XC epics to trail centre ripping, with techy Lakes and Peaks riding in between, with aplomb. The weight, or rather lack of, makes it just such an easily chuckable bike without compromising robustness.

At work so can’t do photos but will try later…

bones76
    Free Member

Awesome machine! what more can I say!!!

bones76
    Free Member

Actually think this is a better picture!

rhysw
    Free Member

I got my Asr 5 carbon frame second hand off here and I couldn’t be happier with it. I’m 5″10 and I ride a large with a 50mm stem. Really fun bike going up and down. I’m running 150mm forks which I might reduce to 140mm when I get the chance

bones76
    Free Member

Just being curious but how would you say it runs with a 150mm fork? Any pictures of the bike with that fork on?

rhysw
    Free Member

As I’ve got a large frame and I’m only 5″10, it wonders a little on steep climbs with a 150mm fork. I like the fact that its a little slacker, feels great going down.
    I don’t know how to load pics onto here

Kryton57

Asked myself the other day, if I snapped the frame, what new bike would I buy? I would buy a another ASR5 frame, which says it all really. My comments are as above.

Just out of interest, Does the investment in the chips / wheel make that much difference over QR?

campfreddie
    Free Member

6’0″ here and riding a large with 140mm floats, 70mm thomson, 720mm bars and a rs reverb out back.

would love to go for a screw in rear axle but have just bought a superstar 11mm axle jobby for my hope pro II’s which is a halfway house and infinitely cheaper.

great bike to ride, but it does bob quite a lot when pedalling (well it certainly feels that way after coming from a dw-link turner flux!)

davetrave
    Free Member

great bike to ride, but it does bob quite a lot when pedalling (well it certainly feels that way after coming from a dw-link turner flux!)

Can’t say I’ve noticed any bob; with the Pro-pedal on climbs fine and firmly, just as firm as the old pull-shock Genius it replaced.

bigjim

I found it bobby coming from a Trance, but a bit more shock pressure reduces it greatly.

I also bought the chipset and 12mm axle, I think it is worth it, it is stiffer, but it was pretty stiff anyway, I’d probably have noticed it more if I was more of a pinner and less of a mincer.

davetrave
    Free Member

Hmm, chipset next upgrade me thinks…

Recycler
    Free Member

Thanks very much – so glad I have one too

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Yeti ASR 5 – show me how good they are’ is closed to new replies.