Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Yeti ASR 5 – Differences in geometry / setup between 2010 frame onwards?
  • devash
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few places offering big discounts on 2010 Yeti ASR 5 frames and am thinking on pulling the trigger.

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t go with a 2010 alloy frame i.e. design fault that were sorted in later frame revisions?

I’m also struggling to confirm the geometry for the 2010 frame, so if anyone could confirm for me that would also be a bonus (looking at a medium frame as I’m dead on 6ft and I know Yeti frames come up large).

pinetree
    Free Member

I don’t think anythings changed geo wise. However, I’m 5ft 8″ and ride a medium, and it fits perfectly. I used to ride a small with a 90mm stem, but changed to a medium, and now run it with a 60mm.
    If you’re 6ft though, I’d have thought a medium would be way too small for you.

devash
    Free Member

Thanks for the info pinetree.

I’m currently riding a large 2012 Specialized Camber which has the same effective top tube (24.6 inch) as the large ASR 5. The stock stem was 90mm and felt too stretched out for anything other than XC duties and even with a 70mm stem on now I’ve always felt stretched out.

As the seat tube on the medium Yeti is 18.8 inch (the Camber is 19 inch) I’m thinking that the shorter ETT on the Yeti along with a layback post and 80mm stem might work well for me.

devash
    Free Member

Awesome, thanks!

pinetree
    Free Member

Yeah, just bare in mind that the geometry on Yetis doesn’t make sense on paper. A small technically has an 18″ seattube, which really doesn’t make sense, but overall it fits. I genuinely reckon a large would be better for you.
    Try your local dealer, as quite a few of em are advertising 2013 frames on clearance. At least then you’d get a chance to have a look at one in the flesh.

strawb3110
    Free Member

I ride a 2011 ASR 5C in a Medium with a 70mm stem, I’m a ‘short limbed’ 5ft 8ins and the fit is perfect for me, therefore I’d imagine as pinetree suggests, anyone like yourself near/at the 6ft mark would probably require a Large, but again as above I’d defo have a look at least and try for size before purchase as I maybe wrong. Great bike though!

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Im 5’7 ..30inseam.. Small asr5 with 720bars 60mm stem

davetrave
    Free Member

As said above, have a look at the 2013 frames on offer, if you can afford one of those get one rather than the 2010 as that was the year they had problems with the carbon rear triangle cracking…

2011 ASR5C here too, awesome bike!

vinny666
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and ride a large, tried the medium and it was way to small for my liking. My mate rides a large and he is 6′. I would suggest that a medium is going to be a bit small for you. Also the 2010 frame is exactly the same. I originally had a 2010 ASR5c which broke and Yeti replaced under warranty last year. I asked at the time if there were any differences and they confirmed it was exactly the same.

Kryton57

If the 2010 had a hole in the swing arm underneath the brake caliper mounting holes, watch out as these originals are reported to be prone to cracking. If the hole is infill end, it’s the updated swing arm.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Yeti’s recommended sizing is bang on. Obviously it used to be on the website but the model has been dropped. Although you should be able to find these using the power of the internet.

6′ to 6’1″ or there abouts myself and ride a Large ASR5C with 140mm forks. This is an eTT of 24.7 and a 50mm stem is perfect fit for me. I only had to sit on the Medium to realise it was too small even with a supposed 18.5″ ST.

dekadanse
    Free Member

I’m selling a size L 575 because it’s a bit too tall for me with a dropper post – and I’m 6′. Length is OK though. Suspect that given the ASR-5 has a longer top tube, you’ll be fine with size M. Depends on whether you like to feel stretched out or not.

mildred

I’m 5’11” and I’ve just got a medium, which fits me perfectly.

Kryton, why do you mean by hole? Is it a cable routing style round hole, or a large oblong slot that you’re talking about?

Kryton57

Large oblong slot, like a cutout, like this one:

iBaa
    Free Member

I’m 6’1 and ride a medium with a 60mm stem and find it spot on.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Kryton57 .. I have that kind of swingarm… Is this a recall? Or do i wait for it to crack before contacting Yeti or CRC where i bought it from. That worries me riding it hard now 😐

P20

I’m 5’8″ and used to ride a medium. Excellent fit. The ASR5c was the most fun bike I’ve ridden

Kryton57

wolfenstein – Member
    Kryton57 .. I have that kind of swingarm… Is this a recall? Or do i wait for it to crack before contacting Yeti or CRC where i bought it from. That worries me riding it hard now

Apologies I didn’t mean to start a panic. There is a revised model swing arm withe the hole “in filled” on later models. I was referring only to this thread, I know no more than that, other than the general news that some early swing arms cracked at the BB, something was changed, and now they don’t. I would not worry about it, I’ve been riding with an “early” one for three years now including chucking it down Rocky Mountain trails.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Im 5’9″ on a medium with 50 mm stem and it fits great. The seat tube is abit longer than my old bike and I have to have the reverb slammed all the way in.
    I do find the Fox RP2 blows through the travel a bit easily, even with high pressure, anyone switched to a different shock with better results? I’m thinking monarch plus maybe?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Yeti ASR 5 – Differences in geometry / setup between 2010 frame onwards?’ is closed to new replies.