Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Yeti announcing new bike tomorrow apparently…
  • DezB
    Free Member

Oh god, not another Kona magic link.
    Horrible. I feel a little bit sick.

convert

It does look like a mud magnet – and one which is fiddly to get to so the temptation to blast it to buggery with a jet wash will be high.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I hate it. THANK YOU JEEEBUS!

AlexSimon

DezB – Member

Oh god, not another Kona magic link.
    Horrible. I feel a little bit sick. Magic link was a bit different in that it adjusted travel depending on body position.
    This is just a way to get an axle path. It probably has more to do with avoiding other people’s patents than anything else.

They even paid to license Switch, although they’ve obviously had to involve Fox with this too.

andyl
    Free Member

I have to say I really like that…which is a problem as I have just finished a big project that I have been working my ass off on and now we are coming up to almost a full years pay in one month…

6000usd though so it’s pretty much going to be £6000! ouch. How much for the frameset I wonder. I would rather build my own with some LB carbon rims and all the finishing kit I already have.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Looks like something that’d be a right pain to maintain. One for the supported enduro racers rather a trail bike for the masses. An updated version of the simpler ARC-5 would have been nice.

AlexSimon

On the plus side. This is one of those ideas that wouldn’t have really worked in Aluminium, so it’s nice to see carbon being used for it’s shape flexibility and leading to some unique designs, rather than just light weight.

That’s a bit why the Evil Uprising appealed to me too.

DezB
    Free Member

Magic link was a bit different in that it adjusted travel depending on body position.

Of course it’s a bit different – what I hated about magic link was all the extra gubbins around the bb. Extra maintenance, extra stuff to keep clean – but mostly extra gubbins which looks bloody horrible.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Well, I was not prepared for that! No 29 version so Ahm oot! Looks like it’s a SB95c for me unless I jump ship and go for something non Yeti.
    It’s a bugger being in the ‘Tribe’. I can understand why it’s difficult to leave a religion…!

Any ASR/575 alike 29er carbon bikes coming up soon? I have some 150mm 29er Pikes and a set of Flow EX Hoops that may want a new home.

honourablegeorge

Nobby – Member
    Nice, but too much travel.

I’d have said not enough.

Not that it matters, since they’ve done a Kona Magic Link with it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well, well blimey.

I really like that 😀

£6k, b’out right I reckon for what could be your only bike.

Hmmmm, test rides offered, do we have any dealers willing to let it out of the shop I wonder?? 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Will wait and see how reliable that link is….

RickDraper
    Free Member

Be interesting to see how that link holds up in the grit and grime of a UK winter!

andyl
    Free Member

So, who stocks Yeti and has good clearance deals? One of the french places does doesnt it?

now just have to wait for the end of year sales. 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

It’s a bit different 😉

bigjim

Looks very exciting, admittedly I’m a yeti fanbwoy. That link is going to fill up with mud though! They should have had me as a scottish conditions tester.

Presumably a 29 version will follow.

bigjim

Wonder if Graves will be riding this one in the next round then? He could go fast on a raleigh activator though.

AlexSimon

He probably wont be riding this one, but now the patent is done and the cat is out of the bag, maybe they have a more enduro-y version for him.
    This only has 127mm of travel I think (even though I see lots of people mention 140mm).

bigdean

Looks like a walk atound the vpp patent. The lower link on a vpp setup can follow a similar path. Just spent two months playing with pivot positions in cad.

toronte
    Free Member

Am I the only one who thinks they involved Fox only to make it sell better?

Looks like a nice bike tho. Would consider buying one if I had the coins.

robbonzo
    Free Member

140mm forks on it. A longer travel one must be around the corner soon. I do hope they dont give up on Aluminium, some mere mortals cant afford £2+K on a frame..I know everyone keeps saying about the Mud issues, but the link is only moving about 4mm. and i’m sure a neoprene guard will be designed by someone to stop build up.

LoCo
    Free Member

Fox have a deal with the company that make the Kashima coating so if they wanted that they would have had to use them, Fox also know a bit about suspension

Deveron53
    Free Member

I just read most of the reviews and interviews released this morning. This is just the start of a range of bikes with this linkage. Expect different wheel size bikes to follow. So expect an enduro specific ‘Graves’ machine and possibly a 29er (I was told that August would be my month by the Silverfish rep at the Yeti tribe meet so here’s hoping…). Gonna be expensive though!
    They’re going all-out in carbon because an alu bike with that amount of bodywork supporting the ‘infinity switch’ would be too heavy and require too much welding.
    It’s not the prettiest bike but if it rides great, who cares! I mean, look how many Orange 5s are sold…

DezB
    Free Member

I mean, look how many Orange 5s are sold

.. with their simple, easy to maintain, single pivot suspension…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Stevelol
    Free Member

That thing is going to be a nightmare to maintain. I can’t wait to see what the first few UK beta testers who part with their 2.5k have to say after a few months 😀

maxtorque

Hmm, seems like a lot of effort and potential for borkage to get what is extremely close to a “single pivot” design…..

Patent Avoidance or Marketing? You decide 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

If I was dropping that much money on a frame, I’d want it to look as awesome as it rode. This looks awkward and unattractive IMO. Sorry Yeti dudes.

I mean, look how many Orange 5s are sold

.. with their simple, easy to maintain, single pivot suspension…

Indeed. All this technobabble is a great advert for Orange IMO.

honourablegeorge

DezB – Member

It’s a bit different

I’m indifferet to how it actually works – it’s a Magic link in that it’s an extra complication in the linkage which will have to be maintained and repaired.

And early adopters get burned by Yeti – the early 66s had bearing problems with the switch link, tyres hitting the seat tube on full compression, and broken chainstays. ASR-5s had broken chainstays. 575s had broken chainstays.

I reckon you’d have to be a fully paid up lunatic to buy this.

bigjim

And early adopters get burned by Yeti – the early 66s had bearing problems with the switch link, tyres hitting the seat tube on full compression, and broken chainstays. ASR-5s had broken chainstays. 575s had broken chainstays. a few angry keyboard warriors who still get cited ad nauseum broke some frames and wrote about it on the internet

😉

DezB
    Free Member

I’m indifferet to how it actually works – it’s a Magic link in that it’s an extra complication in the linkage which will have to be maintained and repaired.

Is there an echo in here? Read what I said a few posts above yours 🙄

honourablegeorge

DezB – Member

Is there an echo in here? Read what I said a few posts above yours

One of those rare cases of two people on a forum agreeing completely with each other. Great minds.

DezB
    Free Member

😆

AlexSimon

maxtorque – that is unbelievable!
    So the difference around the sag point for anti-bob is 0.5mm!

Yet everyone hates single pivot without switching on propedal, and reports that this was in descend mode permanently with no bob. Odd.

maxtorque

In my experience, there is more in terms of changing your “anti-bob” in your low speed shock damping / linkage friction and less in the pure kinematics of the typical system.

Of course, the biggest function used to be the different chain “pull” angle as a result of the different sized front chain rings, moving the chain line closer or further away from the pivot point (virtual or otherwise). But now we are all 1by at the front, i think it’s more about damping tbh…….

Onzadog
    Free Member

So, anyone cracked one of these yet?

chiefgrooveguru

But now we are all 1by at the front, i think it’s more about damping tbh…….

Look at that Spanish linkage analysis blog – it shows huge variance in pedalling, braking and leverage characteristics. It also shows that single pivots can definitely pedal well – it’s a case of putting the pivot in the right place. They are more compromised because they can’t have moving effective pivot point or manipulate the leverage rate as much – a common single pivot issue is a regressive leverage ratio.

It’s nothing like a Kona Magic Link, it’s basically yet another variation on virtual pivot point like VPP, DW-link, KS-link, etc…

brant
    Free Member

But now we are all 1by at the front, i think it’s more about damping tbh…….

Though the chain angles from 11-42t are quite different.

phinbob

Hmm, let me see:

Live in the US, so get $ pricing. Check.
    No mud to speak of. check.
    Want a new bike. check.
    Have $6000 sitting around spare. Bugger.

Which is a shame as I think it looks nice.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Yeti announcing new bike tomorrow apparently…’ is closed to new replies.