Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Yeti 575 help
  • infidel
    Free Member

Hi All,

I have a 3 year old 575 with an RP23 rear shock. The back end is feeling a little willow-y (partly I think since I put a 20mm axle fork up front), and I wonder if it is perhaps in need of new bearings:

a) how would I know if this is the case?
    b) does anyone with a 575 feel the same of the back end?
    c) if I do change the bearings, would it be worth having the shock serviceed/tuned (and what does PUSHing etc really do?!)

Thanks,

Mark

uplink
    Free Member

Just remove the shock & check for play in the bearings
    I'm not sure the bearings would give the feeling you describe though

GreenRoom
    Free Member

My '06 575 was willowy, but I'd cracked the carbon seatstay in a colossal stack (and I mean big). It took a while for the failure to become obvious and it got wobblier and wobblier until I worked it out. With a new back end it feels totally planted. I also run 20mm maxxle pikes and the back end is slightly less good at tracking, but I wouldn't call it willowy at all.

Regarding play you should be able to feel it like a loose headset or hub. The bearings tend to go rough way before they go loose and three years of hard riding could easily be enough.

Thinking of pushing mine too, I recommend you talk direct to tf tuned they've been informative and helpful. It depends to some extent on your riding style and the terrain you are on, and of course what you want from the tuning.

Green Room

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Check play in the shock bushings.
    Check the carbon bits

If everything is ok then change to a 10mm bolt thru axle

loddrik
    Free Member

I loved my 575 but the carbon back end was a little too flexy for a fat **** like me..

scruzer
    Free Member

AS above really. I run Revs 150 bolts and not noticed any difference from my old QR Revs. Bushings on shock have been replaced on mine once all round since new in 07. Pivot bearings been sound and had them checked over this week. No bother

DezB
    Free Member

IME, when the bearings need replacing, the only difference you notice is the creaking… "Willowy", could be the shock bushings and/or the main pivot wearing. Should take longer than 3 years to get to that state though.

GreenRoom
    Free Member

DezB, agreed, just meant they could get rough……

loddrik, never thought to ask the OP their weight! I'm only 10 1/2 stone but I thrash the living daylights out of it over Cumbrian rock.

How does the 10mm bolt through axle work then?

Dirtynap
    Free Member

I meant 10mm thru axle, bolt or quick release whatever its still a thru axle

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=21670

or cheaper these
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=287

They work just like another thru axle, how esle would they work? You need to convert you hub though.

infidel
    Free Member

Thanks Guys,

I'm 12.5 stone and ride South Downs mostly. I'll have a look at the carbon bits etc tonight. Much appreciated.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I've just changed the shock bushes, worked a treat! 😉

infidel
    Free Member

It was the shock bush – much better now!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Yeti 575 help’ is closed to new replies.