Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Yet another What Car? thread, fix vs. replace, possible electric/Audi content…
  • Premier Icon maccyb
    Free Member

Apologies in advance to anyone struggling to keep a banger going in order to keep their job and feed their family, first world problems, peak STW etc.

So my 2005 Seat Leon Mk1 (1.8 turbo) is going in for its MOT and having almost made it to 100K miles, and I don’t have high hopes for it passing without the need for moderately expensive repairs (definitely needs both rear door locks replaced which will involve breaking out one jammed one).

It’s still running well, quite fun to drive, but it’s definitely coming to the end of its relatively-trouble-free life. Therefore I am considering replacing it rather than spending more on repairs (if they find anything substantial) than it’s worth (perhaps £1.5k on a good day)

My requirements are: 5 door hatchback, doesn’t need to hold children, pets or bikes, is used only a couple of times a week, usually once for a supermarket run and once for a 60 mile round trip mostly on the motorway, plus occasional cargo/IKEA trips and longer-distance runs (400+ miles), and wants to be something I like the look of and can enjoy driving. I’m definitely no driving god or master of ‘making progress’ but I do like to have a bit of response to the accelerator. Definitely looking for used rather than brand new, but low mileage.

Budget is a funny thing – I have (through inheritance and luck more than judgement) got more money available than I am willing to consider spending on a car. I’ve only ever bought one car (the aforementioned Seat) and am still stuck in the mindset that ten grand is a lot. My wife recently bought a Toyota Yaris for around that, and I have driven that and found it a bit anaemic and want something better/more powerful, so clearly I need to recalibrate what is ‘worth it’ for me.

Having said all that, I quite like the look of something like an Audi A3 or S3. Obviously buying an Audi would instantly turn me into, well, and Audi driver, but apart from that, would the running costs and maintenance be deadly? Should I go electric instead – my driving patterns don’t really seem to suit electric in my view – I have a garage and a drive so charging at home wouldn’t be a problem, but for the long distance trips I’m not so sure? Are all ‘nice’ electric cars (e.g. Tesla) way outside my budget? Advice please!

Premier Icon penguinni

I would go for a nice Golf GTD. Brilliant car. Or an Audi A3 – I have a 2.0 TDI S-Line and its a pleasure to drive. Plenty of room, nippy and very easy on fuel.The S-Line suspension is a bit firm and takes a bit of getting used to but other than that they are a great car – mine is 2009 and they aren’t big money.

Premier Icon maccyb
    Free Member

Forgot to add I don’t want to go with diesel… really not keen on it environmentally, and may need to drive into central London and/or Bristol now and again and diesel seems like it would not be a good idea.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

perhaps £1.5k on a good day

For a 2005 Leon with >100k? Are you sure?

Premier Icon maccyb
    Free Member

For a 2005 Leon with >100k? Are you sure?

Hah, no, not sure at all – just did a quick Google. I did say on a good day…

Premier Icon jimw
    Free Member

Golf Gti?
    My brother has had a 2017 Mk7.5 227hp (not Performance Pack) from new. Great to drive, very comfortable and on a long drive driven Sensibly will do 45mpg plus

Premier Icon tjagain

Fiat Panda? BY reputation a lot of fun to drive

Premier Icon jimw
    Free Member

My neighbour has a Panda 100hp, supposed to be a hoot to drive but a bit of a strain over a longer distance as a bit noisy

Premier Icon singletrackmind

BMW 130i?
    Smart, good looking, fast and the ultimate driving machine
    Not an owner so cannot comment on the mpg figures
    Should be lovely on a run though

Premier Icon Sandwich

Advice column here

Premier Icon singletrackmind

Ford Focus St also ticks most of those boxes
    Not afanboi but the chassis is supposed to be very good
    Volvo 2.5 engine tuned to St spec, don’t know about mpg figures but will be into 30, s on a run

Premier Icon misteralz
    Free Member

I had an Audi S3 a few years ago and while it was ludicrously quick and also lovely inside, it had literally less than Zero soul. Not quite Korean levels of soullessness, but still. I’ve got a mk5 GTI now. You’d get a mk6 for your 10k budget and you’d never need anything else.

Premier Icon misteralz
    Free Member

Volvo C30 could be a good shout, too!

Premier Icon gonefishin
    Free Member

Volvo 2.5 engine tuned to St spec, don’t know about mpg figures but will be into 30, s on a run

I used to have one and you’d be lucky to get into the 30s. Mid 20s was a more common average. Great car, poor economy and eats front tyres. You also won’t get a low mileage one these days. The newer ST will likely be better.

Premier Icon beej

I have an Audi S3 currently and while it is ludicrously quick and also lovely inside, it has literally less than Zero soul.

To be fair to the S3, it’s slightly more interesting than the S4 I had before.

Get a Golf. GTi or R, depending on how sprightly you want to be. If it’s an R, the blue is nice although everyone thinks the same so there are so many of them around. Virtual cockpit is neat too.

Premier Icon subduedsupernova
    Free Member

A Seat Leon?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Just start banking the money you would spend on a shiny new car each month.

Wait until the Seat does actually die.

Our Ibiza is 2012 on 87k and feels fresh and fine.

Premier Icon maccyb
    Free Member

Slightly disappointingly in the end (except for my bank balance), the MOT revealed only one dud sidelight bulb aside from the jammed door, so it looks like no new car for me this year!

Thanks for all the tips though. Golf (R, potentially) definitely interesting, not convinced by the Panda (!), simple replacement with a new(er) Seat Leon does kinda make sense actually. Low(ish) mileage Volvo C30 or BMW 130i seems hard to find…

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Slightly disappointingly in the end

However I see that as a total win.

Premier Icon maccyb
    Free Member

Yeah it’s a win really, but I’d started to get a little bit kid-on-Christmas-Eve about the excitement of new shiny thing… still, happy to keep the current car going, as I do enjoy driving it and it does meet all my current needs. Might get it valeted and deep cleaned as a reward for faithful service.

Premier Icon bsims
    Free Member

It always impresses me how much better an old car looks after someone else has cleaned it properly. 😀

Premier Icon chestrockwell

I’d make sure you test all the options you consider. Everyone seems to rave about the Golf but every time I’ve been in one I have been underwhelmed. Noisy in the back too.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.