Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Yet another van insurance question.
  • andrewh
    Free Member

I was wondering if anyone here had any recommendations/advice to pass on to my former housemate please?
    She is German and holds a German driving licence.
    She has bought a VW Caddy van and had it kitted out for sleeping in, insulated with a bed, cupboards, floor, etc but has not had enough done to be able to have it reclassified as a campervan, at least under UK rules, so it is just a modified van for insurance purposes. The stop and go parts and the exterior are all unaltered.
    The problem comes because the van is Irish-registered and so needs to be insured in Ireland. I’m not exactly sure of the rules with commercial vehicles over there but having one for private use seems to be a whole can of worms, and the tax is horrendously expensive too.
    I have suggested she tries the insurers I use for my home-made camper, Adrian Flux, but I don’t know if they would do Irish vans.
    So, can anyone who knows anything about Irish van insurance make any suggestions?
    The van spends a lot of time in the UK as well as in Ireland, would it be worth officially importing it and insuring it here? Is it a question of where it spends the most time or she pick either country as she sees fit? Would make the tax a lot cheaper. It is 10years old, where would we stand with VAT and import duties if we did that?
    Thanks guys and girls.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I dont know anything about the Irish side but as far as modified van insurance is concerned, I recommend trying Aviva. My van is modified for window cleaning by having a 500ltr tank and filter system bolted in.
    A plan and Adrian flux were around £550 each. A call to Aviva was well worth it as the Tank system got covered for free so the total price ended up at £260.
    It might get part of her problems sorted.
    Regards Steve.

andrewh
    Free Member

Thanks. It’s not really the UK bit which is the problem, more the Irish bit. Or finding a UK insurer who will do Irish vans.

johnnystorm

Another happy aviva customer here. Live chat so easy to get an answer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My mate is irish (cork) and when he came to the uk he reregistered his transit as uk.

It cost him – an mot , a years tax and a pair of number plates.

Like you are finding insurance and tax were massive in ireland.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Yet another van insurance question.’ is closed to new replies.