Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Yet Another Tubeless Question (sorry, bear with me)
  • Haze

Currently have some very worn out NN’s on my XC717’s which need replacing and I’m thinking of going tubeless. Done a fair bit of reading around but just to be sure before I commit to a pricey pair of tyres…

Planning on using Stan’s with UST tyres on these rims. I know I can run standard tyres (with varying degrees of success) but am I right in thinking UST’s will give me a stronger, less porous sidewall and slightly better seal due to the tighter fit?

It’d be nice to have that extra security if that’s right, not too fussed about the weight penalty.

slowboydickie

Yep, UST tyres typically have stronger side walls and are easier to seal and mount than ghetto style. They are also 150g heavier, offsetting benefit of losing the tube, if you are weight conscious.

Some folks swear by ghetto tubeless but I find the non-UST tyres burp more often, fold more easily and puncture more frequently.

Haze

Cheers ‘dickie, after seeing my mate faff around with non-UST tyres I think I’d be happier taking the hit on weight.

Northwind

I’d say the best option is the halfway house, tubeless ready… UST adds no benefit over that in my experience, but is usually heavier. (you pay a weight and cost premium for them to be airtight without sealant, then you add sealant!)

Haze

Hmm, will look into it cheers.

Never straight forward is it?!

njee20
    Free Member

I’d echo Northwind, and the newest Schwalbes are tubeless ready.

Haze

Yeah I’ll probably stick with NN’s, these have more than justified themselves.

scruff
    Free Member

Daz, Im sure I read UST and Stans rims have slightly differing bead profiles, so UST tyres wont work as well with stans rims than tubless ready tyres will. If using stans rims get strong tubless ready tyres, UST tyres just have more rubber, not more reinforcing and they still get holes a seasily in my experience. I’ve just switched from 819 UST rims to SunRingle (they license Stans bead), using same tyres the Stans pinged onto rim at 30psi, where as the 819s needed about 60psi.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I used to use NN front and RR rear on my xc717’s and I was happy with the grip and rolling resistance but not with how weak the construction was

I went “Ghetto tubeless and the Schwables were impossable to seal (admittedly not tubeless) so I tried Specialized Purgatory front and Captain rear

the bead sealed easy with a track pump and the grip is realy on par with the RR/NN and they roll well to

Ghetto conversion £4 a wheel tyres £22 each

Bargain

njee20
    Free Member

Daz, Im sure I read UST and Stans rims have slightly differing bead profiles, so UST tyres wont work as well with stans rims than tubless ready tyres will

The newest Stan’s rims (Crest, Alpine, Podium) are very slightly larger than the old ones, and other rims, to make inflation easier. This means that ‘normal’ tyres are a good tight fit and go straight up. The downside is that UST (and many ‘tubeless ready’) tyres, which have a slightly smaller bead to achieve the same thing are bloody tight indeed.

There’s plenty of horror stories of people trying to fit 2011 Schwalbes to Crests and having ‘issues’. I’ve got Ralphs and Dans and have fitted them to my Crests and Podiums, and they’re tight, but do go on (by hand), and then inflate instantly.

the Stans pinged onto rim at 30psi, where as the 819s needed about 60psi.

That’s because the 819s have a very marked well in the rim, which Stan’s don’t.

br
    Free Member

717’s and rim strips work fine and I’d second tubeless ready tyres – just run yellow tape instead of rim tape

In fact I’ve a pair of 717/Deore QR wheels with said tape and rim strips for sale 🙂

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The newest Stan’s rims (Crest, Alpine, Podium) are very slightly larger than the old ones, and other rims, to make inflation easier. This means that ‘normal’ tyres are a good tight fit and go straight up. The downside is that UST (and many ‘tubeless ready’) tyres, which have a slightly smaller bead to achieve the same thing are bloody tight indeed.

That seems to fit with my experience too. Had Flows on the FS for a long while and always easy to fit Maxxis by hand. Now also have Crests for the HT and found it considerably tighter to fit tyres to these compared to the Flows.
    Love both.

njee20
    Free Member

That’s because it’s true… 😉

If you read the literature with the newest rims it says “UST tyres may be too tight on these rims”.

Haze

Just read that back, to clarify I’m planning on using my 717’s with Stans rim strips – not rims.

So I’m guessing a decent ‘tubeless ready’ tyre is the way forward.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Yet Another Tubeless Question (sorry, bear with me)’ is closed to new replies.